Truck identification

Great War truck

'Genevieve' was a Darracq - she was incorrectly rebuilt shortly before the film, but the owners have kept her in her film appearance as that's what it's most famous for. The other one was a Spyker. Went to the 2007 London to Brighton run and there must have been at least 50 De Dion Boutons. I reckon the middle one's a Bugatti, but apart from that I have no idea

'Genevieve' was a Darracq - she was incorrectly rebuilt shortly before the film, but the owners have kept her in her film appearance as that's what it's most famous for. The other one was a Spyker. Went to the 2007 London to Brighton run and there must have been at least 50 De Dion Boutons. I reckon the middle one's a Bugatti, but apart from that I have no idea

Spycker may have built the first 4x4 car in about 1904, There is one picture that apparently shows a double drive.

First one looks German to me, possibly an Adler.

Second looks American with the badge possibly Chevrolet shaped. Could be a Dodge which were a lot more common.

Third, something German. Wouldn't like to hazard a guess.

Nice pics!

Steve

Who wants to have a go at identifying these?

d.jpg

You could offer a silly caption if you like.

Tim (too)

"Troops from the Vehicle Maintenance Depot proceed with the dismantling of a future restoration project for Tim-Great-War-Truck prior to throwing the gearbox into a pond, burying the coachwork and planting stinging nettles"

"Troops from the Vehicle Maintenance Depot proceed with the dismantling of a future restoration project for Tim-Great-War-Truck prior to throwing the gearbox into a pond, burying the coachwork and planting stinging nettles"

Very very funny. That made me laugh out loud! Probably true and that explains a lot about WW1 truck restoration.

Tim (too)

Thats right. We bought five originally and then two more turned up. All in various states of decay and with bits missing. This one is the second best of them so we are keeping it. The rest were sadly all too far gone to do anything with other than provide spare parts.

Tim (too)

Thats right. We bought five originally and then two more turned up. All in various states of decay and with bits missing. This one is the second best of them so we are keeping it. The rest were sadly all too far gone to do anything with other than provide spare parts.

Tim (too)

Where DO you find them.............:???

It would seem to be more by like than judgement. We have made many contacts and we all seem to watch out for each other. If anything interesting turns up we try to let each other know so it will find a good home.

So, for example, the 7 Dennis chassis. Well we bought 5 from one chap in one fell swoop. One of those had been turned into a mobile hut and abandoned in a forest. Two were incorporated into the roof of a garage. For now i cant remember where the other two came from. One was saved by a Welsh chap who wanted to restore it but then realised that no bits were available and after storing it for many years sold it on. The most recent one was found under a bungalow in Cornwall. Just luck. I am sure that for everyone we find another one gets cut up.

I was recently chasing a WW1 crossley that i heard was sitting in a field near Tipperary. Found it was cut up and scrapped in 2004. When i told the guy who knew about it that a restored one was currently up for sale for £75,000 he nearly had a fit. I expect he will find me another one now, which would be great as long as he does not expect anything like that sort of money for it.

Tim (too)

• 6 months later...