Antar Gallery

47AN09.jpg

Thornycroft Society Ltd.

47AN09

And although they may well have been modded, the RAF Petrol Antars did not originally carry mirrors mounted from the Front indicator guard, they also had a trafficator, behind the cab door. ( but equally so did 02 BD 16 when built.)

Note again rollers under RAF front bumper. But this Thornycroft works photo was taken before the Turner winch was fully fitted.

Black Bumper/ Blue Grey Bodywork....

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone.

Searching through some of my old pictures I found this shot taken in the early eighties at a TA depot at Prestatyn, North Wales of 54BH04, a FV12003 Mk2 Antar ballast tractor?

Apologies for the quality-it was a very misty day if I remember rightly.

scan0029.jpg

the pair of snowy mountain and crane trailer on trails with wynns prior to export

Thanks for posting that wonderful photograph younggun. I keep meaning to enquire about the fate of the Antars that went over to Australia fairly recently to be part of a Snowy Mountain Project museum. I hope they are being properly cared for so far away from home. In the age of the email it shouldn't be to difficult too find out.

Thanks for posting that wonderful photograph younggun. I keep meaning to enquire about the fate of the Antars that went over to Australia fairly recently to be part of a Snowy Mountain Project museum. I hope they are being properly cared for so far away from home. In the age of the email it shouldn't be to difficult too find out.

As you know all three of the Snowy Antars were converted to tippers and worked to daeth, then scrapped.

A guy is trying to re-create two for his museum, but he is starting with Petrol meteorite Antar's that left this country in the last few years. However the Snowy Antars had Diesel meteorites, so they can never be perfect.

The pair in the photo were trialled over here with Mk2 Military ballast bodies, but were exported in Chassis cab form, gaining much smaller wooden ballast bodies once in Oz.

One of the ones "becoming a Snowy Antar" is ex Brian Bailey (seen centre of post #39), the other is ex Mervyn Anetts. Seen post # 296) I have not anything about the progress of the transformation.

Edited by antarmike

I have not anything about the progress of the transformation.

Yes, thanks Mike, it's the current state of these two substitute Snowy Antars I'd be interested to know about. A while ago I read a progress report about this museum project on the web which it didn't sound very encouraging. If I understood correctly, the bloke had been unable to raise anything like the sum required for the museum to go ahead.

I've just had another quick google and I haven't, as yet, been able to find any reference to a permanent Museum dedicated to the Snowy Mountain Scheme featuring two Antars. What I'm asking is, where are these two Antars and what state are they in ? If they are just standing in the open suffering under the Aussy sun then they should be returned to their homeland.

Check this link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/01/2047805.htm

Would any Antar owners who frequent this forum care to contact Jill Madew, or Andrew Baulch, and request a few 'photos, and an update on the current state/whereabouts, of the two Antars that were acquired a few years ago by the proposed Snowy Mountain Scheme Museum ?

http://www.snowyschemecollection.com.au/Contact_Details.html

There's a few more pix on this link.

http://www.truck-photos.net/picture/number1447.asp

Bit of deja vu going on here Mike?:yay: (Post #286)