Matador Gallery

Matador 0853 6064 ex William Press and for sale

Engine there but u/s, Rad looks OK, no gearbox, but starter, dynamo, chassis, winch, transfer box, axles, wheels, steering etc all there.

If anybody is interested for spares or repair I can ask the owner to contact you

MATADOR PLUMPTON 076.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Mike nothing odd about the white cab top, from post WW2 until very recently the majority of RAF vehicles in Cyprus had white cab tops, the same practise applied in many hot climates. I have a photo of vehicles in Khartoum in the early 1950 with complete white cabs

TED

that photo is in Malta and not Khartoum

that photo is in Malta and not Khartoum

Mr MHVT of Malta I know fine well the photo I posted of the fire trucks is RAF Luqa in Malta I was there !! please read again what I said

""""""I have a photo of vehicles in Khartoum in the early 1950 with complete white cabs """ a totally different photo that you have not seen I was making the point that in addition to white cab tops the RAF had in certain places at certain times painted whole vehicle cabs white to reflect heat. I hope you understand now what I mean.

TED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

AEC Matador still in its original working livery.

Michael Watson Ltd timber hauliers Loddington nr Kettering Northants Anyone got any pictures of this when it was working ?

lorry pictures 1 117.jpg

Edited by nptimber
added ouote

I think this motor has earned its right to appear on the HMVF website ,its an AEC Mammoth Minor 366L, it shares the matadors 7.7 litre engine and 4 speed gearbox but is a lightweight 6 wheeler with a trailing rear axle(single tyres on rear axle) 16 tons gross . This vehicle was due to be delivered to Thomas Hewstern timber importers ,merchants surrey commercial docks in september 1939 but was commanderred for war work ,it possibly went to wiltshire war agricultural commitee as this appeared on a copy of the original build sheet. It found its way to Fossetts circus hopping hill Northampton and then to Hunts scrapyard nr Molesworth ,it was rescued by my father in 1996 in a completely derelict condition and restored to its present condition.

lorry pictures 1 053.jpg

I think this motor has earned its right to appear on the HMVF website ,its an AEC Mammoth Minor 366L, it shares the matadors 7.7 litre engine and 4 speed gearbox but is a lightweight 6 wheeler with a trailing rear axle(single tyres on rear axle) 16 tons gross . This vehicle was due to be delivered to Thomas Hewstern timber importers ,merchants surrey commercial docks in september 1939 but was commanderred for war work ,it possibly went to wiltshire war agricultural commitee as this appeared on a copy of the original build sheet. It found its way to Fossetts circus hopping hill Northampton and then to Hunts scrapyard nr Molesworth ,it was rescued by my father in 1996 in a completely derelict condition and restored to its present condition.

and Unipower Hannibal in shot!

Some nice pictures there np. Below are the two Matadors which I saw in Normandy last weekend. One as I have mentioned belongs to someone on here as there was a HMVF sticker in the window. While the other one had been driven all the way from Newcastle for the celebrations!!!

145.jpg

800.jpg

616.jpg

The one with the GS body, 776HTB, is mine. I only did 300 miles overall - quite enough for one weekend but well worth it.

It looks like the other one has its spare wheel on the roof. I'd like to know how they get that up and down without injury!

The one with the GS body, 776HTB, is mine. I only did 300 miles overall - quite enough for one weekend but well worth it.

It looked very nice Phil, saw it once at Arromanches and another time just up the road from Pegasus Bridge. Well done for bringing it over.

It looks like the other one has its spare wheel on the roof. I'd like to know how they get that up and down without injury!

Would be interesting to see how they got it down as well incase it was needed!!!

It looked very nice Phil, saw it once at Arromanches and another time just up the road from Pegasus Bridge. Well done for bringing it over.

Would be interesting to see how they got it down as well incase it was needed!!!

You mean you have never used a roadside tree as a crane, all you needs is a leafy avenue, and a hoist!

Lamp posts are ok for lighter stuff but for a wheel you need a tree or a bridge....

You mean you have never used a roadside tree as a crane, all you needs is a leafy avenue, and a hoist!

Lamp posts are ok for lighter stuff but for a wheel you need a tree or a bridge....

Can't say I have Mike. We don't have that trouble with the Gipsy we just shove it in through the back door!!:-D