Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

Nothing wrong with being a corporal, we all had to start somewhere. Well look at Hitler he was a corporal before he promoted himself.

Which is a damm good reason for keeping Corporals in their place.:sweat:

Wasan't Idi Amin a Corporal?

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/humberpigva7.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/ST2_6311_simon_sun_640.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/LFK_bucket/Flypig01.jpg

A few of Helen the Humber in her 1970's N.Ireland look, just need some barb wire and a few ladders and shields on now to complete the look of "In Service" Humber Fv1612 mk1

This is for Adam Elkins with his Ambulance Pig Mk2 03 BK 20.

It was built originally as FV1601 GS Truck on Chassis No. 20320

The record card gives the date in service as 20/3/53, but the ledger gives 12/3/53

Receipt Voucher No. CBR/R/9598 showing it was delivered to 3rd Vehicle Group, RAOC HQ, Church Broughton

The original Engine No. 6030

Between 1958-60 it was made into a pig FV1611. At this stage FV1613 Ambulances did not exist, these conversions may have been as early as 1963 but the main EMER for conversion from FV1611 to FV1613 was issued in 1965.

Conversion to Mk 2 under Op Bracelet would have been between Sept 1972 – June 1973.

I can see no documentary evidence that it ceased to be anything other than the ambulance it clearly is from your photos. But I have two photos showing it to be a Flying Pig APC. Here is one of them.

03BK20.jpg

It was struck off on 2/9/94 to Skyddsvakt, Sweden. So happy googling with that one!

Edited by fv1620

The first picture I strongly believe is my FV1609 built in 1956 as 32 BK 74. Was issued to the RUC in 1958 became 2996 OI. Seen here with added on roof in 1969. In 1970 became 27 BT 95 & subsequently made into a Mk2

1.jpg

The other shots show not a FV1609 but a FV1611. 13 BK 01 was issued to RUC in 1962 to replace a FV1609 that had been destroyed. The replacement was registered as 3071 EZ. In 1970 issued to the Army as 27 BT 91.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Amazingly this officer survived, despite being later attacked with scaffolding & bricks. But in the period 1969-98 over 300 officers did not survive attacks on them.

The strange camo pig was as far as i know done like this for a film but what that was i dont know. (Any ideas?) The armour from in the rear was removed and some bits and bobs added for pyro's were put inside.

trains.jpg

The pig nearest the camera in the second pic is the same pig after it was purchased by my mate.

os99.jpg

And you know when you buy a new toy you always forget something, thankfully it just fitted.

tight.jpg

Could have been for bloody sunday?. The film.

I hope not, BS predated the first Mk 2 pig by 9 months. But historical facts are often of not much interest to film makers. There were two films on BS done at about the same time at least one of these used Mk 2 pigs I'm afraid.

One famous confrontage of the event was well recorded on newsreel footage. The film used a Saracen APC with weedy water hose in the turret. The real event showed a Foden water canon that looks entirely different!

I remember in the real event as the Foden moves in & sprays the crowd & then the camera crews with dyed water. A certain satisfaction can be detected in the voice of a soldier as he shouts out "Brilliant guv!"

Have you fitted front screens in your pig?

Great pics.

No There's a macrolon hinged screen hanging from the roof behind the two front seats, which is a bloody pain when you want to lock/unlock the rear doors.

I've got loads of pics of the "film" pig somewhere but can say with out any doubt it was NOT anything to do with the films made about Bloody Sunday, this film must have been 13 plus years ago because the pic on the train was 12 years ago.

We had a squirt saracen on the train as well. Also we found that a pig will go through a wooden floor of a wagon (the pig exhaust was never the same)

My friend own te "bloody sunday" pig used in the film. If you look at the film it has one wing!

As Clive said there were no Mk2's in service at the time of the event, they were Mk1 with wings. Film even shows a Bedford driving into the action with troops in!

Shame they dont get films and the such correct

A Pig with a bed and a heater, very posh, mines just an empty silver box in the rear at the moment:-(, although i believe that the Royal Artillery used them in that configuration as a G.S. according to a reliable ARRSE forum user, who drove them.