Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics from the Veterans Day parade in Aberdeen. I have only just had these sent to me which was a nice surprise, particularly the one of "Donald" who was my passenger, a sprightly 80 plus, who leapt into the commanders seat and seemed to wave at every single individual!

Pig Union Street Aberdeen.jpg

Donald.jpg

DSC04435.JPG

DSC_1341a.jpg

are the diffs the same ratio?
Yes.

But there are 4 types of transfer box. The ratios are different between armoured & non-armoured. Within each type there are versions for winched & non-winched. If you don't have a winch doesn't matter if you have a winched transfer box as the PTO dog can just be blocked in disengaged.

are they the same front to rear?
Yes, front & rear, armoured & non-armoured identical. Although the joints could be Tracta/Chobham/Birfield.

Hello gents - I took my restored pig first time to public last weekend. It was the 50th aniversary meeting of JaboG 32 at Lagerlechfeld (German Fighter-Bomber Sqdr.) and I was there with some friends of our bavarian military vehicle club. Showing some of our stuff with Pig, Saladin, LR, Crusader, Unimog, VW181, Werdau G5, Robur...

1169241.jpg

1169242.jpg

Roland well done a lot of effort went into that. Few would realise that by just seeing it at a show. I well remember seeing your earlier pictures & was very impressed by your metal working skills. I suppose the greatest compliment will be people telling you that you were very lucky to find one in such good condition!

The canvas was with the pig as I purchased it. Herewith pictures as I found it as a FV1612FFR Mk.2 at Rotterdam/netherlands :

1169343.jpg

1169344.jpg

After all metal work it is now a FFR Mk.1 again. The interior is complete now with full working C42 and SEM25 radios. (Berlin brigade has some pigs and ferrets with that radios, I heard). Just the bed on the left side is my own design.

1169351.jpg

1169352.jpg

1169353.jpg

Edited by Roland

Some work gone into de-armouring it! especially the back doors, side door hatches and front hatches and all the stuff like wipers/covers put back on!

Dont suppose you could measure up the canvas as a pattern and put it on here would you!:-D

she doasnt make any nasty noises now and if anyone knows of an axal locally let me know and its knackerd anyway and if im going to get another one it dont matter british engineering at its best . anyway it dosnt go anywhere price of petrol!!!

That was supposed to say i think mine has the birfield joints.

im typing while watching tv.

I seam to recal someone saying or reading somewhere that they painted the hub centre red on the pigs fitted with those type of joints.

Adam I was getting worried that you had broken something & could see first hand! It is widely believed that Op Bracelet also upgraded the joints to Birfield, in fact Birfields came more than a year later. There are 104 Mk 2 Pigs not fitted with Birfields, I think every Mk 2 owner I have asked tells me they believe they have Birfields. But that is nearly a quarter of the fleet that never were upgraded, I'm sure some at least are in private ownership. The original requirement was to put red paint, most usually red oxide on the brake drum. This was not a very permanent indicator & may have changed to a more durable red on the wheel station. But the desire to use red paint on knobbly bits on the pig in service & preservation knows no bounds. So sometimes red is painted on because another pig has been seen painted that way.

if you pull back the rubber boot can you see what joint is fitted from there?

No.

But if you ever dismantle the hub assembly. Please use the hub assembly sleeve FV252151 or similar. Without this you will permanently damage both hub seals. I have seen so many hub seals destroyed by failing to follow the procedure in the EMER. I know I have no right to get annoyed about what people do to their vehicles, but I feel sorry for the next owner who unwittingly buy a vehicle with 8 hub seals that are damaged. One of the seals is still obtainable, but the other is not. 15 years ago I bought all of Budges stock. But I think I'm only down to 2 now.

This sleeve fits on the stub axle, then the hub assembly is pushed over the sleeve then two sharp rims on the hub align into the large & small seals.

Hubsleeve.jpg

Unable to obtain FV252151 I measured the required size & had an engineering company make up three & shared the cost with two other Humber enthusiasts. Amazingly other Humber owners I approached couldn't appreciate the value of such a device.

Before having made this I improvised a sleeve by using two off the shelf sections of tubing wedged inside each other. It did need a layer of gaffer tape around the outside & a layer to wedge the tubes together.

If you're interested I can give you the measurements for either.