Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

hi everyone im affraid im the owner of the pig in the film(bloody sunday) most of the filming was taken in and around her,got the film i bought her in buxton darbyshire and it was blue/gray , pretty complete and had plenty of problems and she is a very haevy. and if anyone has info on it pls let me know, her service no was 26 bk 38. and have changed the blue light for an orange one ok (con)

021.jpg

022.jpg

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fv1611 Mk2 humber Pig.

early type ram bar,Rolls-Royce B60 6-cyl 4.2 litre petrol,combat weight approx 7.4 tonnes

what else would you like to know?

are you coming to WP? you are booked in?

Glad the blue light has gone! now have to convince you to remove the amber one! ha

it goes so slow mate it needs an amber light , you aint seen me driving yet. looking good for war and peace leaving in the morning,LOL, and just wanted to know her history, she might have had some stones thrown at her or even a petrol bomb , i know she was privatly shown in ireland and shown as bomb disposal blue light and wings,so if you had to defuse a bomb if someone started throwing stones park my pig up close .YOU WOULD BE SAFE MATE, LOL bringin the genny and plenty of tools spare part and beer ,so see you there hopefully

true, but bomb disposal 321 EOD never used flying Pigs, most owners seem to want to glamorise the nature of the vehicle. Im sure being a Mk2 it has seen some rioting, but RUC or EOD it never was. Just be proud that its aMk2! they are becoming less! and yours has all the armour still

Slow they are mate, 30-40 max really, only the fool hardy would go over that in ideal conditions..

yes see you there

i only keep the orange light on to keep the evil forces of the hampshire constabulary away mate

I think that is an unworthy comment, particularly as this is a public forum & conveys an unhelpful image for us all. For some years I have been taking the Humber, which has a police history, to a private event held by Hants Constabulary. I have to say that I been met with an enormous amount of goodwill & interest at all levels.

Edited by fv1620

Adam. You need a hot air gun, Stanley knife & a narrow screwdriver. I have removed the glass from vision blocks on Shorland & Hornet. There will be up to 9 layers of glass interleaved with translucent plastic. It is the plastic that goes opaque & spoils the vision.

This sandwich of glass & plastic is held in there with sealant, probably resting on a rim of metal inside the holder to stop them being forced inwards. Warm up the sealant around the edge on the outside. Cut & gouge the sealant as if gets more pliable with heat. Don't prise the glass up as you will chip or crack it. It will be stuck to the glass with age & surface tension. Once the first layer is free around the edge, get all of the outer glass quite warm then with a piece of wood (not metal) try to move the glass horizontally to break the adhesion to the plastic. Access will get more difficult the further you get in.

The other method is to still use a hot air gun to plasticise the sealant, but get large hacksaw blade to cut into the full thickness of the vision block. Then saw your way round all four sides of sealant so you can extract the complete glass sandwich en masse then separate the glass. This will then be easier as you can get directly at the edges with heat & leverage.

I've just reread your post. If you mean remove not just the blocks but the window assembly with the blocks you need heat, WD40, hammer & garage crane. The block holders have small loops for attaching to a crane. I cannot lift one, I would leave them be.

Edited by fv1620

true, but bomb disposal 321 EOD never used flying Pigs, most owners seem to want to glamorise the nature of the vehicle. Im sure being a Mk2 it has seen some rioting, but RUC or EOD it never was. Just be proud that its aMk2! they are becoming less! and yours has all the armour still

Well that aint true as mine was a used by EOD and its a flying pig so am I glamorising the nature when thats what it did? The proof 3 felix stickers on the nose covered by various colours of paint, 2 on the drivers door, 1 on the passenger door and 1 on the rear.

They might have not used the wings but definatly my vehicle was all fitted up for it while it was used by EOD

I dont dispute that yours may have been used in an EOD capacity at some point,but not with wings on. that would have been a later addition for riot control.

As the EOD equipment would take up the crew space, and wings are not needed in Bomb Disposal. I was not trying to offend,sorry if indeed I have.

The stickers could br from any era, as Pig were used in many capacity and modified to deal with select roles, or possibly from a previous owner, have you checked the vehicle records?

Or do you have any odd mount points for monitors? or evidence of the ramps for the wheelbarrow? As its worth checking when it served.

I would say your may have been 321 logi, but then taken out of its role and the wings added for a different role. The Wheelbarrow kit weighs enough with out adding extra problems to the over stresses chassis with wings as well.

If your avatar is to go by with th Xmas colours, its not in an EOD role there?

Please dont take offence

Edited by paul connor

Adam. You need a hot air gun, Stanley knife & a narrow screwdriver. I have removed the glass from vision blocks on Shorland & Hornet. There will be up to 9 layers of glass interleaved with translucent plastic. It is the plastic that goes opaque & spoils the vision.

This sandwich of glass & plastic is held in there with sealant, probably resting on a rim of metal inside the holder to stop them being forced inwards. Warm up the sealant around the edge on the outside. Cut & gouge the sealant as if gets more pliable with heat. Don't prise the glass up as you will chip or crack it. It will be stuck to the glass with age & surface tension. Once the first layer is free around the edge, get all of the outer glass quite warm then with a piece of wood (not metal) try to move the glass horizontally to break the adhesion to the plastic. Access will get more difficult the further you get in.

The other method is to still use a hot air gun to plasticise the sealant, but get large hacksaw blade to cut into the full thickness of the vision block. Then saw your way round all four sides of sealant so you can extract the complete glass sandwich en masse then separate the glass. This will then be easier as you can get directly at the edges with heat & leverage.

I've just reread your post. If you mean remove not just the blocks but the window assembly with the blocks you need heat, WD40, hammer & garage crane. The block holders have small loops for attaching to a crane. I cannot lift one, I would leave them be.

Cheers Clive,

I did mean just the vision block itself. Will try both methods you mention.

hi gents i read the bits about bomb disposal and wings, well im more confused now, i know mine at some piont had no wings, as clive so kindly showed me a picture, so at what piont it had them fitted i dont know. and this little piggy has had so much paint,its hard to tell her origanal colour was. i,m thinking it was ODG, but if anyone can shed any more light on this pig to what she did when in service, the next beers on me. but i must admit who every added the bits and pieces to make her a flying pig, did a pretty good job its all there

When your pig went to NI for the last time probably approaching 10-15 years ago, it only had one wing. The original owner was way ahead of his time in NI displays, he also had a Ferret in IS configuration. He was a little nervous displaying this stuff at that time because the peace process was a long way off.

I have some pictures just after it was sold to NI, the pics are just from its good side (ie the winged side) I'm not 100% certain but I think the wing was added when in private hands. The earlier pics may confirm this. It's unfortunate the various ebay sellers had misrepresented its paint scheme & role, so I appreciate the difficulties you have in separating fact from fantasy.

Picture the moment, sat in front of the telly having my dinner, switch over channels and i get "Andy McNabs Tour of Duty" part way through, ah well give this a few minutes i thought, he then goes on to demonstrate the GPMG (A belt fed 7.62mm Machine Gun) all going well, rounds been fed in, links and empty cases coming out etc, and then it pans out to show the target...........A Humber Pig!

Never did like his books and the fact that Bravo Two Zero was actually a work of fiction!!

hi gents . well i took the pig to the para show on portsmouth common and had a graet time BUT. at the show the dreaded knocking reared its ugly head in the rear axcel something broke and has but a whole in the dif outer casing, resulting in i presume a smashed axel, so if anyone has one for sale, i desparatly need one

hi gents . well i took the pig to the para show on portsmouth common and had a graet time BUT. at the show the dreaded knocking reared its ugly head in the rear axcel something broke and has but a whole in the dif outer casing, resulting in i presume a smashed axel, so if anyone has one for sale, i desparatly need one

I have a complete back axle, and it has a PTO for a winch, it is from a Humber 1 ton truck, the vehicle was fully operational prior to it been laid up some time ago. Could get it couriered on pallet etc, drop me a PM.

But you need to watch out with the transfer box as this is 1.33:1 on GS & 1.41:1 on pig. Giving axle ratios of 5.57:1 on GS & 5.71:1 on pig. Presumably to do with the larger tyres on the pig.

(The size of the actual shafts are the same but the joints in the GS will be Tracta. The pig would once have had Chobham, although could have had a retro fit of Tracta due to desperate shortage of spares. Although not all Mk 2 received Birfield joints.)