Scammell Explorer Gallery

Power Steering Gaiter -

I found two in a stillage at MVS (that was a year or 2 ago!) and got them for £2 a pop. Never seen the light of day. The first one lasted about 3 months before it started splitting, they seem far too thin. Kept the other safe for PGK888. They were nice and flexible, and didn't appear to have suffered in storage. Another £4 wasted!!

I think I will get a leather one made up and hang the expense - seen an old leather one on a vehicle, so may have been used in service??

£2 each ? You was done mate ! I can remember buying one at Woolworths, Tooting Broadway in about 1962 for less than 10 bob.

Even though I'm supposed to be vegan I could live with a leather gaiter, it would be better than drawing dust into the seal every time the ram moves if there is no gaiter in place. I only worry, where will it end ? Leather strap over the bonnet ? Wicker picnic basket on back ? Actually, come to think about it, the Militant has a leather gear stick gaiter so maybe leather is a cool material to use on vehicles of this period. If you do decide to have one made in leather, I might be interested have one made at the same time, or buy/borrow the pattern from you, or whatever, possibly. Thanks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any old leather kit, soak in a bucket of Neats (Cows) Foot oil before use. an alternative and cheaper is vegtable oil. Drop in and leave for 3 or 4 days. Nikwak do very good waterproofer and conditioner for leather, very good for vehicle kit as it doesen't over soften like oil can. Given the right treatment leather can last 100 years plus.

Any old leather kit, soak in a bucket of Neats (Cows) Foot oil before use. an alternative and cheaper is vegtable oil. Drop in and leave for 3 or 4 days. Nikwak do very good waterproofer and conditioner for leather, very good for vehicle kit as it doesen't over soften like oil can. Given the right treatment leather can last 100 years plus.

Thank you for your advice. I'd was wondering how best to treat the leather once a gaiter had been made. Your suggestion of using Neats Oil sounds ideal bearing in mind the gaiter's need for flexibility as well as being dust and waterproof.

Tony if you should find a manufacturer that can make a leather Gaiter please let me know as I am in need of one and I'm sure we would be able to get an order for a few more if posted on Scammell Yahoo group ! Might make them a bit more economical if we order a few ! Will you be attending the War and Peace at any time mate ? Andy

Tony if you should find a manufacturer that can make a leather Gaiter please let me know as I am in need of one and I'm sure we would be able to get an order for a few more if posted on Scammell Yahoo group ! Might make them a bit more economical if we order a few ! Will you be attending the War and Peace at any time mate ? Andy

There's quite a thriving leather industry based around Street in Somerset and I've been looking around for a leather worker with a small workshop who could make a gaiter. It's really quite a simple shape to make and shouldn't cost all that much. I could make a former in wood that would allow the leather worker to fashion the gaiter accurately. I also have 80% remains of an old original rubber gaiter that would be good enough for a pattern.

Personally, I would prefer a concertina design like the original one rather than one in segments like a rugby ball but would like to know the cost before deciding. I'm sure everyone who owns this sort of Scammell would be interested in buying a gaiter, if only as a spare. May I suggest we find out for certain that no one has any of these gaiters available and if not, find a leather worker who has low overheads and high standards.

It is not impossible to re-manufacture the drive couplings, send me your old metal bits and I'll do it. Don't know the current cost of materials but mine that I made have lasted around 13 years. No problems, apart from the alloy bits degrading!

Tugs Of War shows Forceful on a trailer ramp, page 88, this was because the couplings broke up, I made new ones the next week and they're still going; ToW was published 1995.

Unfortunately I trustingly donated my molds to a now seemingly defunct club so will have to re-make them but Hey Ho thats life. :)

Costs will be reasonable to genuine enthusiasts, I will only deal with those I know.

PM me if you are interested.

DSCF5680.jpg

Edited by gritineye

It is so easy to re-manufacture the drive couplings, send me your old metal bits and I'll do it. Don't know the current cost of materials but mine that I made have lasted around 13 years. No problems, apart from the alloy bits degrading!

Reading this has warmed the cockles of my heart.

Try talking to your local saddler.

Would that have been the SOEC, if so I still have a few contacts?

Yes Mike, but that mold was a prototype and it was thought that someone in the club would be able to improve on it. that is machine one rather than hand cut and file, and set out PCDs accurately. However Colin resigned, and stuff got forgotten about, it's probably laying in a shed somewhere, when not assembled it just looked like scrap metal!

As to the steering gaiter, Amos Bodsworth did a fine mod to his, by machining the nose of the end cover paralell he was able to fit a gaiter from a motorcycle front forks, perfectly reliable, modern and cheap.

And clever :clap:

Now look you lot, time to think outside the box

Cant decide on an engine, couplings wrecked, gearbox knackered, fuel too dear for you? :???

If you've got the tinker time, this modification cures all the above, AND you will get PAID to attend rallies, with a pallet of coal thrown in! :-D

May have to cure the water leak though.

steam.jpg

I did see a 'baby' one built on a Land Rover chassis. Looked very good. With all the worry about fuels, who would dare say Catweazles idea is that stupid. On the leather side, I forgot there is a stuff called Coachaline,a sort of Cosmoline for leather. If you are laying stuff up for a while, a good coat will preserve it.

Now look you lot, time to think outside the box

Cant decide on an engine, couplings wrecked, gearbox knackered, fuel too dear for you? :???

If you've got the tinker time, this modification cures all the above, AND you will get PAID to attend rallies, with a pallet of coal thrown in! :-D

May have to cure the water leak though.

steam.jpg

The worrying thing here, is I REALLY had to look at the pic, to see what you were getting at..............:whistle:

Actually looks very good,................wonder if it could actually be built. :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
The worrying thing here, is I REALLY had to look at the pic, to see what you were getting at..............:whistle:

Actually looks very good,................wonder if it could actually be built. :)

Should of gone to specsavers:rofl:

For those into Explorers and who would like to see them at play, there should be several having a go at the War and Peace show on Thursday and Friday evening. It's the heavy vehicle trial set up by the Twickenham Off-roaders, which last year was exclusively an Explorer event! This year a few different vehicles will try to take the title???

Starts at about 18.00 on the off road course in the America's field.