Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No major harm done in the mud hole, just a bent mudguard bracket, and a lot of cleaning to do! All went well for the journey home with the 3 Explorers and the Militant, apart from the lasts brakes locking on, making it rather slow off a roundabout! Solved by draining the air tank, and re-charging the air (an occasional recurring fault!). Great to put some faces to names at the show.

Jules

Thanks for the suggestion about the palm couplings, I'll have a look in the morning and get back to you about it. It hadn't happened since running for it's M.O.T. test before last in Feb 2008!

Thanks again, Jules

Obstructed breather vents on the front palm couplings may not be the cause of your brakes locking on but I hope it is because it's a problem that's so easy to remedy. These vents are usually a small hole in the centre of the depression on the dummy pressing which locates on the coupling when it's not in use. These holes can become blocked by paint. The other type I'm aware of is a primitive one way valve in the form of a flexible washer at the same location. This sort can also become gummed up with paint or old age.

Being unable to release air pressure through the front couplings causes the vehicle you are driving the 'think' it's being towed by another lorry which has, via air lines, just applied it's brakes. Typically, this fault occurs at traffic lights on busy main roads and just about any where else where it will cause the maximum chaos.

Being unable to release air pressure through the front couplings causes the vehicle you are driving the 'think' it's being towed by another lorry which has, via air lines, just applied it's brakes. Typically, this fault occurs at traffic lights on busy main roads and just about any where else where it will cause the maximum chaos.

I think you might have just solved an annoying problem with a certain RAF Constructor - thanks 6x6 !!

Edited by N.O.S.

Thats ok mate I didn't want to be pushy ! I'm afraid I often miss opportunities because I say no when asked and instantly my brain says say yes you twit ! Jules offered me a drive but for some reason I said no ! I hope my new son is more confident ! :-D

Nice pics, Les. Just think of the huge volume of vehicles to have passed through Vass's yard. There was a photo in the office of a whole train load of Humbers (I think) heading off abroad somewhere.

Anyone remember Mr. Chistianson? And is the old Coleman yard crane still around?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Nice pics, Les. Just think of the huge volume of vehicles to have passed through Vass's yard. There was a photo in the office of a whole train load of Humbers (I think) heading off abroad somewhere.

Anyone remember Mr. Chistianson? And is the old Coleman yard crane still around?

I remember the pictures,not just one line a whole ruddy siding,we went to buy an explorer ex RAF with crated engine.i have pictures of the yard but cant find them,we found a rare white tipper buried under alot of junk the type they used on airfields.Wheres those bloomin pictures gone:argh:

I remember that picture Tony, but I always assumed it was vehicles arriving not leaving. The place was an absolute treasure trove; I recall a recovery operator needing a Hercules crankshaft for a Diamond T and being told where in the yard to start digging. Half an hour later he returned with a perfect NOS crank in a substantial packing crate that had lain undisturbed for many years.

Owen Christiansen and Dougie were the backbone of the company and travelled miles to buy vehicles at various auctions and sales.

Mike

I made only one visit to Ruddington which was when I bought a low mileage Fordson 4 X 4 for £250 and one visit to Vass's to buy spares for it. Both occasions were during the early 1970's. If only I'd had a camera with me. Does anyone have any photographs of the parking area at the Ruddington auction site ? There were hundreds and hundreds of vehicles of all types waiting to be sold. Army lorry heaven.