Scammell Explorer Gallery

Wasn't this "grease prop shaft every 50 miles" business due to heat from the extremely close exhaust system "drying out' the prop shaft grease or am I thinking of some vehicle other than the Explorer ?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from a couple of sources that it should be every 30 miles. It brings up the related issue of using oil or grease. I have been putting oil through to flush any old muck out of the system. Everything was done prior to the show on Saturday, after the 30 mile run to get there I used grease and it was ready for it. I am going to do it again with grease today, now that it is home, so I will report back later. Based on various different opinions my feeling is that oil (140) was specified rather than grease because it would flow everywhere better than greases of the time which could dry out. With a decent quality modern grease I can't see this being a problem, if done and used regularly. I believe this point on using them is important, on an independant suspension Gipsy there are 12 UJs (front and back prop and halfshaft to each wheel) so I seem to spend half my life greasing them. Nine times out of ten they pack up when one leg clogs up and stops getting grease, or too much has been used and burst the oil seals. So little and often seems to do the trick. Once a leg has clogged up or a seal has gone the grease doesn't go where it should and the joint fails fairly soon after.

Wasn't this "grease prop shaft every 50 miles" business due to heat from the extremely close exhaust system "drying out' the prop shaft grease or am I thinking of some vehicle other than the Explorer ?

Correct, the prop is directly above the large silencer, but also due to the large angle the joints were being used at and the speed of rotation - almost 3500rpm flat out in 6th:shake:

The lock plates on the original joints are clearly marked 'use oil' and have an integral oil reservoir within the spider, but the oil will leak out over time, just as normal grease will dry up into a solid mass. Once again, as with the walking beams, I would suggest an MS type grease as used in CV joints.

and the speed of rotation - almost 3500rpm flat out in 6th:shake:

And possibly more than that, Mike - I know a certain gentleman who (in the forces) used to disable the governor on the magneto to get considerably more speed - 60mph I believe :shake::shake::shake:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
The driver jumped out with a grease gun to lubricate the rear prop U/Js? :whistle:

You silly bugger:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What happened next?

Showing off never pays! :red:

You trashed the rear wheel arches:confused:

Or,:idea: your mobile 'phone rang and the electromagnetic radiations corrupted the gearbox ECU, which defaulted to neutral and you shot back down the hill.

You trashed the rear wheel arches:confused:

Takes one to know one Mike, got it in one :clap:

I had spent the last few days straightening them, filling holes, repairing the stays, making mudflaps, fitting original lights etc. Decided not to climb further to save the new tank bottom panel then ran back over the mudflaps and pulled it all to bits, both sides! :argh:

This bank has since been climbed, the tank panel has since been battered!

the predictable results :cry:

image0-1-1.jpg

Other wimpy type drivers took lesser routes :nono: (220 Cummins!)

image0-2-1.jpg

And even wimpier drove the almost flat route :yawn:

image0-3.jpg

A prime example of the GDSF playpen disease :-D

to see another example of this strange behavior look here about 01.50

http://www.HMVFTV.com/watch/e51891440e4da0b65a70/Heavies-playing-on-Slab-Common

Edited by gritineye

doesn't look too bad overall though, the drivetrain should have had an easy life and the Gardener will go on and on, windscreen and cab look good too

its in fair condition there,s nothing left of the rear body apart from a gd bonfire orginal lockers removed a fair while ago . cab looks to be ok from a distance but its more aluminium than steel any bad patches have been pop riveted over with sheet steel and then painted which is ok but looks a bit redneck from the inside . it did have a radio cassette fitted in the cab i spose it was so the onwner could play a cassette of a meadows petrol when he was driving it :cool2:

Edited by younggun

it did have a radio casset fitted in the cab i spose it was so the onwner could play a casset of a medows petrol when he was driving it :cool2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:SEE! IT'S GETTING TO YA! and you're only looking at em, you just wait till it gets BAD, and you can't hide one under your bed so your folks can't see it, or hear it :-D

it got to me a long time a go a certain some one let me lose in a 240 tone contractor at the dorset last year and that pushed me over the ege to the I WANT ONE factor

Needless to say there is a Contractor in Tony's sale.... and a Roti.:yay: