Heavy recovery

Rick W

The caption unfortunatly is unreadable when blown up.

The WLF must be a 1000 Series 1, 2 or 3.

It looks like the crane operator and the fitter on the Cat are wearing berets, which would make this a British Army scene, which would suggest a Series 2 as they were all made to UK contracts.

Does anyone have the skills to 'clean up' the caption to make it legible? Think it starts off with "3rd...."

Does this posting qualify me for the "Sad Shack"? :whistle:

another example of a WLF doing a bit of heavy lifting

width=500 height=400http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/abndeuce/408121041_bc3ebc0a8f.jpg[/img]

French caption

Un Sherman M4 surnommé "Hurricane lors de l'opération de remplacement du moteur Continetal R975C ; le 16 aout 1944 à Le Teilleul

Le M4 fait partie de la 2nd Armored Division, de la H Co, d'un des deux Armored Regiment.

(on voit débarquer ce même Tank en p012923)

La dépanneuse est un Heavy wrecker Ward La France M1, du 2d Armored Ordnance Bn

2 x Series 2 British Army units - super pic!

Any chance of printing a few of your best pics in the next UKWLFOC magazine?

Edition 11 is already finished and on its way to the printers and no 12 looks to be fairly full, but maybe I can shoehorn it into the one after that.

Any ideas on the vehicles? Im guessing a Cletrac and WLF?

I've just found a slightly cropped copy of this picture in the Tankograd publication on WLFs, which gives the following caption:

"Mechanics, using a Ward LaFrance M1 Series 1 heavy wrecker, change a Caterpillar tractor's engine during the Louisiana Manouvers in September 1941"

It IS possibe to distinguish from this angle between the two types - it is a WLF (front mudguard curvature, sad or what?)

That's the one I was referring to!

Regarding the other points about winch and crane capacities and chassis rating; even the US Army TMs and data plates give different ratings. Every book seems to state something slightly different and the various user armies rated them differently at different times. One day when I'm bored I must hunt out all the different versions and put them into a spreadsheet. :yawn: