coasting instructions

john fox

Question

IMBSB many years ago I looked inside a now unmemorable type of truch exceot it was definitely American and I think probably a WW2 3 axle truck which had had a beautiful paint job including stenciled across the top of the cab the words: no long distance coasting

I have always wondered:

a) what is coasting - is that in gear but with foot on clutch or is it with box in neutral out of gear?

b) why is it prohibitied and does that apply only to that specific US truck?

Please educate me before I get older and/or destroy a different vehicle to which this driving style applies but of which I am ignorant. If I undertand coasting to be as defined in a) above I do that all the time on down slopes in my car to save petrol!

John

Inertia. The whole engine is at rest and wants to stay at rest. Suddenly shove 40 mph through it and all the still bits will think about it before moving. The torque will exceed the strength of the metal ,result kit form engine. Blame Issac Newton 1st law. An object will remain at rest or continue in a straight line and constant velocity until acted upon by a resultant force.

If you do coast DON'T TURN THE ENGINE OFF, apart from the effect on brakes a catastrophic explosion can occur when you attempt to restart the engine.

Any unburnt fuel in the exhaust can/will ignite with spectacular results!

Chris

Anyone NOT got the message yet? Anyone who continues to coast after all that has been

said on here, should be locked up and banned from driving as a menace to themselves and

all other road users. Just about the most stupidly dangerous thing you can do with any

motorized vehicle, IMHO.

This lesson was learnt by me many years ago when my good lady (girl friend at the time) was driving the Ford 7000 tractor - it jump out of gear going down hill.......I was standing on the 3 point linkage :schocked: we laughed our heads off about it at the time - we were young, that was nearly twenty years ago..........

Been married 14 years today :knockknock:

Slightly different.... but in Sherman type tanks/AFVs, if you disengage the clutch and roll down hill, the gearbox drives the propshaft.

In first gear, the propshaft turns at 800 rpm per one mph and it will soon snap if it overspeeds by too much. As the driver sits next to the front of the shaft......

If you do coast DON'T TURN THE ENGINE OFF, apart from the effect on brakes a catastrophic explosion can occur when you attempt to restart the engine.

Any unburnt fuel in the exhaust can/will ignite with spectacular results!

Chris

Correct

This lesson was learnt by me many years ago when my good lady (girl friend at the time) was driving the Ford 7000 tractor - it jump out of gear going down hill......

That brings back memories of some long forgotten incidents, some of the old tractors used to have a nasty habit of that all old trick , usually at the most inopportune moment :sweat:

This lesson was learnt by me many years ago when my good lady (girl friend at the time) was driving the Ford 7000 tractor - it jump out of gear going down hill.......I was standing on the 3 point linkage :schocked: we laughed our heads off about it at the time - we were young, that was nearly twenty years ago..........

Congrats Jack and Mrs Jack, did you also forget to lock the tip meachanism at any time? :-D

Congratulations, Jack................hope you are doing the washing up, tonight. :-D

In Norway we are learne that you should go downhill in at least the same gear as you need to go up. Or a lower gear, but never a higher. So if your truck is empty, you drive uphill in say 3rd, then you can go down in 3rd. If loaded you perhaps need to go to 2nd uphill. So to be able to brake the load downhill, you should use 2nd. And never trust the brakes alone. But then we have real up and down hills here...

I think I read some place that the US GI also called it "mexican overdrive" if you put it in neutral of push in the clutch going down hill. And that should tell the most (No negative on the mexican people from my side thoe!).....

Rolf

Also known as "Angel Gear", and the SAAB 80 had freewhel - a most horrendous experience getting around corners unless you braked well beforehand and powered into bend (yes I know you should anyway, but if you got caught out it was almost 'brown bag' time :shake:

Hmmm...... How can we put this - there ain't no sech beastie as a SAAB 80!!! Quick potted history of Saabs......

The SAAB car range started out with the model 92 and ran up through the 93, 93F, 95 (Stroker &V4), 96 (Stroker &V4), 97 (Sonnet - Stroker &V4), 99, 90/900, 9000 then GM took over. Of these - all the 92's, 93's, 95's, 96's, 97's and the very early 1850cc Triumph engined 99's were fitted with the Free-Wheel device.

The free-wheel was originally fitted to stop the early 2-stroke engines from seizing up due to lack of 2-stroke oil on over-run and SAB engineers being what they were it got carried over until the power of the 2.0 engine SAAB derived from the Triumph unit made it both totally redundant and unsafe.....

Lesson over - as you might have gathered the classic Saabs are the other passion in my life together with green machines and family!! :-D :-D

1) It wasn't my car, it was a mate's

2) I only drove it once (that was enough, thanks), like I only had a lift in his Heinkel (allegedly) bubble car once - he rolled it on a downhill bend and all the perspex glass popped out, only took us 2 minutes to right the thing and pop it all back in again

3) I reckon it was a '66 (ish) Saab 93 (ish) anyway looked a bit like the pic (which is shown as Saab 80 (?)on a Finnish website :yawn:

4) You get a similar feeling going downhill in a Ford A62/64/66 loading shovel with a full bucket :shake:

5) I'm off to post something derogatory about Stalwarts on the Saab Enthusiasts' website now :-D

OK what I mean't to say was that you are of course correct,

my knowlege of Saab matters could best be described as "modest" :whistle:

I couldn't remember the model name, I thought it was 83 but wrote 80, so 93 is the probable answer.

I'll ask my friend who is now in USA when I send a xmas card (which will now be late)

And I failed the Saab club site's pre-registration entrance test anyway ;-)