Mystery Object No.73

fv1609

Looks like a badly made Anderson shelter or similar made out of corrugated metal, with a flap, hinged at the top for a door... :dunno:

It does look a bit that way, no flap & not corrugated but it is aluminium.

Clive? Is Jack raising military pigs now? The only thing that comes to mind is a pig ark, go on be a devil :evil: give us a bit more.

Not for rearing animals. The ladies will tell us the art of keeping up interest is to only reveal a little bit at a time. I'll just wait til Richard comes in & eats his beans on toast. If he doesn't have a stab at it (the quiz that is, not the toast) Then I'll reveal a teeny weeny bit more, but too much & it would give the game away.

A standard military issue miniature merry-go-round

pictured in it stowed/transport configuration... go on, I'm right aren't i? :naughty:

An enthusiastic answer, but how do I break gently but nope tisn't.

I'll just wait til Richard comes in & eats his beans on toast. If he doesn't have a stab at it (the quiz that is, not the toast) Then I'll reveal a teeny weeny bit more, but too much & it would give the game away.

Evening all :-D

Well Clive, I was going to have beans but changed my mind..........

Not sure at present, a bit mystified by the two groups of five dots, these look like rivets, am I correct?

Richard

Evening all :-D

Well Clive, I was going to have beans but changed my mind..........

Not sure at present, a bit mystified by the two groups of five dots, these look like rivets, am I correct? Richard

Bit of a fussy eater then Richard? I was holding back for your opinion. Yes they are rivets. I shall reveal a bit more then of the 'fan dance'

width=640 height=272http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/App0634a.jpg[/img]

Bit of a fussy eater then Richard?

No Clive, just don't eat beans on a Monday :whistle:

Well if they are rivets and as previoly stated the lighter coloured part is not a flap, then it could be two colours of paint, ie camouflage. I am having two wild guesses, that it is a building (although rather unlikely if made of Alloy) or a container of some sort.

Richard

Landrover Carawagon roof that has been fixed permanently in the up position?

Yes well done!

Given the flimsiness of the Carawagon roof it was prone to damage, not to mention the matter of leaks! This roof has been fabricated in ally & permanently fixed. It is the only one I have seen like this. It ended up being painted cream & a chap used to live in it, often seen in the laybyes along the south cost about 12 years ago.

I used to own the first military carawagon that got into civilian hands. My roof was rebuilt but at a lower level & flat. It was done in BAOR with considerable skill. In those days at shows it was ridiculed/criticised as people though it was a normal 109 that I had made into a camper.

To dispel this attitude I sent some pictures to a Land Rover magazine. I gave it the correct description:

Truck, Caravan, Commanders, 1-Berth, 3/4 Ton, 4x4, Rover

but of course they had to print:

Truck, Carawagon, Commanders, 5/8 Ton, Land Rover

The press!

width=529 height=800http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/App0634.jpg[/img]

Whooo First time i got one right. :-D

I have seen a couple that have had the folding end boards changed to solid ends. They seem to end up on the continent being LHD.

I have a civilian 2a carawagon as a on going project but it keeps getting put on hold as the bigger green stuff eats up more time.

Whooo First time i got one right. :-D

I have seen a couple that have had the folding end boards changed to solid ends. They seem to end up on the continent being LHD.

I have a civilian 2a carawagon as a on going project but it keeps getting put on hold as the bigger green stuff eats up more time.

There is a greater appreciation of what they are these days. I think there is a Carawagon club in the civvy world. I was lucky to once get some pics of a SWB Carawagon, now that was crampt!

Of the military ones most were LHD, strange I can't remember whether mine was, I think it must have been. The first big batch of 36 of them in the GN series were all LHD bar about 6 I think. I remember when I saw it come into the dealers yard. I was told it was 1980 which seemed very cheap. The hormones, for what at the time was a very rare vehicle, were working overtime so much so that I got fixed in my mind I was being offered this for £1980. But alas that was the estimated date. It wasn't that I bought it to avoid embarassment but I had decided it was amust have.

I only sold it when they built the M3 past Winchester, I was unable to get it into the new multi-storage carpark. When I came to sell it, it was still very rare, nobody wanted to buy it as they thought it was a home-made effort. In the end the dealer did a minimal part exchange for a RAF 90, he couldn't sell it & it passed into a car auction.

width=525 height=800http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/App0643.jpg[/img]

The internal layout seemed to vary a lot. This one had no sink & washing was done by fitting a plastic washing up bowl in the frame on the rear door.

This was mine, which was a lot less ungainly. Wish I kept it now :cry:

width=640 height=362http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/16GN061-1.jpg[/img]