crossing over to the dark side !!!!!!

ashley

Hi all,

though not strictly an American vehicle but i have crossed into PW territory :shake: :shake:

As jeep WW2 jeep trailers are fairly pricey i have gone and purchased a ...... Hotchkiss trailer, though the previous owner has americanised it it is i believe quite an early one :dunno: and is finished in a two tone camo.

Pictures below

width=640 height=480http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/atcase/Wimbourne%202007/DSCF0112.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/atcase/Wimbourne%202007/DSCF0113.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/atcase/Wimbourne%202007/DSCF0115.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/atcase/Wimbourne%202007/DSCF0114.jpg[/img]

I need to re-change some minor items, not sure wether to respray yet

Ashley

Nice one Ash

Lots of room for Poppy Appeal collecting boxes for next year :whistle:

Mrs HF.......................... yes I know I'm cross posting again but buy the time I have logged out and then logged in, he will be saying 'wheres my breakfast, wheres my work kit, wheres my this that and the other and the moment is gone. OK >:(

Whats the difference, between wartime and p/war jeep trailers, then Ashley ??

Hi,

not exactly an expert .....but some minor differences are which have been explained to me are -:

This trailer has three `hood` bows for the trailer cover to stretch across (normally a vinyl cover) the bows are slotted in to brackets welded to jeep sides (internally),

The rear lights are fixed to the bottom of trailer body, mine have been raised and they can be 6, 12 or 24 volt

The rear panel should not have two areas (read depressions) on it,

The Axel should be round, on mine is square (as in box section).

I believe the suspension units are vertical as opposed to being at 45% from the Axel to the body,

The French ones have a shorter towing eye ?,

These are very basic differences for the French trailers them selves were modified/ changed over the years to include the correct number of vertical depressions on the sides.

Also not evident in the photos the wheel hubs have maker name stamped on the (also seen on rear of trailer)

I know there are more, others feel free to to add / correct above info

Ashley

Luckily it came with Two bar tread tyres, may fit them, may keep them for the jeep. Also it has a canvas cover as well as the vinyl one but has the shorter lunette which can make reversing more difficult. When it stops raining i will get some practice in.

Ashley

That actually looks like a Dutch trailer to me, the same type as I have. Check on the axel, there should be a data plate which should give you a clue. There should also be another data plate on the front right corner of the chassis.

There are a few differences between this and the Willys trailer, such as the towing eye length and mounting bracket height, end panels, hubs, added bows, handbrake lever, spring hangers, jockey leg.

Here's mine -

width=640 height=426http://www.sacarr.co.uk/jeep/trailer/markings5l.jpg[/img]

Steve

That actually looks like a Dutch trailer to me, the same type as I have. Check on the axel, there should be a data plate which should give you a clue. There should also be another data plate on the front right corner of the chassis.

There are a few differences between this and the Willys trailer, such as the towing eye length and mounting bracket height, end panels, hubs, added bows, handbrake lever, spring hangers, jockey leg.

Here's mine -

width=640 height=426http://www.sacarr.co.uk/jeep/trailer/markings5l.jpg[/img]

Steve

:-) Looks good, Steve.

I have a 1952 M100 trialer for my MB, got it cheap in need of restoration.

But if i had a pound for everytime someone has come up to me and said "thats the wrong trailer for your Jeep..............bla bla bla". I could probably buy a nice ww2 trailer! :rofl: :tup:

Baz

P.S. anyone want to swap a ww2 trailer for my M100?

I have a 1952 M100 trialer for my MB, got it cheap in need of restoration.

But if i had a pound for everytime someone has come up to me and said "thats the wrong trailer for your Jeep..............bla bla bla". I could probably buy a nice ww2 trailer! :rofl: :tup:

Baz

P.S. anyone want to swap a ww2 trailer for my M100?

My usual reaction to this comment is 'well what do YOU have',.........to which the answer is normally,.'well nothing,.........yet'. I tend to finish conversation along the lines ' well come back and see me when you have,.........' :whistle:

Must stress this approach is reserved for the 'rivitt counters and dreamers', out there, anyone with a genuine interest gets my undivided attention, and MAYBE's a cup of tea.......

(if they're young and female,.......or even just female, that Might even be CALVADOS,......... :-D)

My usual reaction to this comment is 'well what do YOU have',.........to which the answer is normally,.'well nothing,.........yet'. I tend to finish conversation along the lines ' well come back and see me when you have,.........' :whistle:

Must stress this approach is reserved for the 'rivitt counters and dreamers', out there, anyone with a genuine interest gets my undivided attention, and MAYBE's a cup of tea.......

(if they're young and female,.......or even just female, that Might even be CALVADOS,......... :-D)

yep thats the ones, not sure about the calvados though, yuk :lipsrsealed:

Baz