Bronze green and Red query

MiketheBike

Question

I am about to rub down and paint the wheels of my Ferret.

I have read through Jack's paint documents, but there is no mention of what colour red is for the wheenuts? Is it just pillarbox red?

Also, I bought some Landrover Deep Bronze Green, and it does not look quite right against the existing colour...maybe the original paint has faded? Or maybe the Deep Bronze Green is not correct?

So...questions are: What red do I need, and what green (if I went to an automotive paint supplier, would he understand what BS224 is?)

Thanks,

Mick

Mick,

Check your Ferret is actually deep bronze green and not nato green, which is BS285. Try Crosbie Coatings for paint, look them up on google, I've used them and they're good. I also use the Hammerite smooth red for my wheel nuts.

Chris

Mick, the Regulations do not specify a particular shade of red. Most red markings on vehicles tend to be Signal Red BSC537. I'm sure pillar box red, officially called PO Red BSC538, would not look out of place. BTW PO Red was renamed Cherry in 1988.

Land Rover green was not quite the same as Army DBG, but I have used it & it looks ok. But even with the proper MOD stuff there is variation, some seems to have a brown-red base, others more of a bottle green. So touching up with a different make or even batch can look awful, although that's what would have happened in service!

Mick, the Regulations do not specify a particular shade of red. Most red markings on vehicles tend to be Signal Red BSC537. I'm sure pillar box red, officially called PO Red BSC538, would not look out of place. BTW PO Red was renamed Cherry in 1988.

Land Rover green was not quite the same as Army DBG, but I have used it & it looks ok. But even with the proper MOD stuff there is variation, some seems to have a brown-red base, others more of a bottle green. So touching up with a different make or even batch can look awful, although that's what would have happened in service!

What he said. The red paint on the wheel rim nuts was not AFAIK official, but because the wheels had split rims which would cause the wheel to explode with the pressure if these nuts were undone, the wheel-rim nuts were sometimes painted over in red. Certainly as a combat unit we always painted over them if the opportunity arose. Sadly, with my photo collection destroyed I have no way of verifying this.

IMHO it's just another layer of bullshit.

The red paint on the wheel rim nuts was not AFAIK official,......................................IMHO it's just another layer of bullshit.

The wheels, wheel nuts, tow hitch, bumpers, manufacturers badges, knobbly bits, ancilleries, hub drive flange nuts, etc should all the the same colour as the vehicle. The only exception to this is that in divided rim wheels the retaining nuts should be painted red and nothing else. This is repeatedly laid down in, Equipment Regulations, Joint Service Road Transport Regulations, AESPs. There is no requirement to paint anything else red or white even.

But some units will embellish some vehicles with all sorts of silly bits painted. I remember being taken round a camp by the chief vehicle inspector & asked him why about a third of the vehicles on camp have these unauthorised bits of paintwork. He just shook his head in despair & sighed that he can't stop them doing it whenever his back is turned!

Chris,

I think you may be right...it could be NATO green rather than DBG.

There is a paint shop nearby (L.E. Went) that will colour match...I may take it down there to see what they can do.

Hammerite sounds like the best bet for red then :-)

Thanks guys...now just need to warm the ferret up so the paint will stick!

Dave,

Maybe they've changed the composition. Mine was nice, thick and red. Went on a treat with a small brush, and also looks good on the fuel cap of the Ferret. I also have yellow for the oil filler cap and blue for the radiator cap. Before anyone says anything, these items were painted these colours when I got it direct from the MoD!

Chris

:whistle: All this talk about the painting of nuts,............. :sweat:..........makes me feel quite left out; ;-)

Will have to approach the bedford quietly with paint and brush.........., mind you, needs doing every time the nuts come off,.............same as the white paint.

Still, can always touch up the petrol tank filler caps................

I can remember painting over the red nuts on the split rims, I can also remember painting the filler caps on the Ferret petrol tanks to signify the fuel type when we started to get diesel engined VHS. The red we used was pillerbox red.

Baz.

The wheels, wheel nuts, tow hitch, bumpers, manufacturers badges, knobbly bits, ancilleries, hub drive flange nuts, etc should all the the same colour as the vehicle. The only exception to this is that in divided rim wheels the retaining nuts should be painted red and nothing else. This is repeatedly laid down in, Equipment Regulations, Joint Service Road Transport Regulations, AESPs. There is no requirement to paint anything else red or white even.

But some units will embellish some vehicles with all sorts of silly bits painted. I remember being taken round a camp by the chief vehicle inspector & asked him why about a third of the vehicles on camp have these unauthorised bits of paintwork. He just shook his head in despair & sighed that he can't stop them doing it whenever his back is turned!

Don't forget the ends of the split wheel retaining springs on things like Bedford RL's.....

SnowTracDave,

How did you get that red hammerite to cover ? I have a tin , bought years ago , which never did , always looked like clear lacquer with a red tint to it .

sure you didn't get it mixed up with something else? Did your wife complain that she had real trouble taking her nail varnish off?

There is Bronze green and deep bronze green, I have only ever owned RAF vehicles (RAF Blue Grey ) but I thought the army used bronze green not deep broze green which is darker.

These are the Bronze Greens:

Light Bronze Green BSC222

Middle Bronze Green BSC223

Deep Bronze Green BSC 224

The Army appear not to use MBG as it is not listed in any COSAs I have to hand. LBG is used for certain instruments & some stencilling. I agree with Richard that the early PW vehicles were to be high gloss DBG (up until NATO schemes came in). This was laid down in Specification 2012 issued by the Fighting Vehicles Design Department (FVDD) in 1948.

Beep Bronze Green, is that what they paint the horn with :-D

Baz

PMSL. No but seriously. ISTR once reading that for a period in the 60s tank crews had to paint their tanks DBG for inspection, then dispersed OD and Black for exercise. What a joy that must have been.

These are the Bronze Greens:

Light Bronze Green BSC222

Middle Bronze Green BSC223

Deep Bronze Green BSC 224

The Army appear not to use MBG as it is not listed in any COSAs I have to hand. LBG is used for certain instruments & some stencilling. I agree with Richard that the early PW vehicles were to be high gloss DBG (up until NATO schemes came in). This was laid down in Specification 2012 issued by the Fighting Vehicles Design Department (FVDD) in 1948.

Mid Bronze Green was the colour Post Office Telephones used for their vehicle fleet up to the time it became British Telecom and the fleet went ghastly yellow (along with Buzby and all that). BT still use it for street cabinets.

Army vehicles went over to NATO matt in 1976 except for some "prestige" or public duties vehicles.

does anyone kmow a bs colour number for Aircraft cockpit green ( someone suggested it was the same colour as Eau de Nil.) Somewhere I also read that early land-Rover 80" were painted a colour Rover called Sage green , but this was actually war surplus Aircraft Cockpit Green. any ideas folks?