Bronze green and Red query

MiketheBike

Question

I am about to rub down and paint the wheels of my Ferret.

I have read through Jack's paint documents, but there is no mention of what colour red is for the wheenuts? Is it just pillarbox red?

Also, I bought some Landrover Deep Bronze Green, and it does not look quite right against the existing colour...maybe the original paint has faded? Or maybe the Deep Bronze Green is not correct?

So...questions are: What red do I need, and what green (if I went to an automotive paint supplier, would he understand what BS224 is?)

Thanks,

Mick

does anyone kmow a bs colour number for Aircraft cockpit green ( someone suggested it was the same colour as Eau de Nil.) Somewhere I also read that early land-Rover 80" were painted a colour Rover called Sage green , but this was actually war surplus Aircraft Cockpit Green. any ideas folks?

Eau de Nil is BSC 216, Sage Green was BSC 219 but was deleted in 1964.

Cockpit Green is not a BSC. I think an example of it is the centre body of this Malkara missile prototype.

width=640 height=424http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/Malkaracentea.jpg[/img]

The least faded bit is within the red ellipse, where it had been covered up by a wing. Given that these were made by the GAF in Australia (Government Aircraft Factories) it seems a likely colour. I found another example of what looks to be same was under my Shorland, when one considers the Shorts Aircraft link it seems likely as well.

I'm not sure what you want to paint but if you were trying to match it up, then its close to a Forest Green used by postwar US vehicles. Whereas Eau de Nil would be quite a rich lime green & I think that Land Rover green was a weaker green.

Standard interior colour for RAF vehicles was Eau de Nile (confirmed by Duxford team and RAF Coltishall paint shop), my RAF Constructor matched exactly, suspect your Matador would be the same.

That is correct, many RAF vehicles were painted Eau de Nil inside the cab and also military field ambulance interiors.

Richard