War Film Vehicle errors

da bomb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, thought it was Blackburn.

The aircraft was the M52. Check out Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

I walked through the wind tunnel used to develop the project shortly before they demolished it to build houses on the site.

Miles were ordered by the Ministry of Aircraft Production to hand over all data to the US where it was given to Bell, who used it to build the X1. Another great loss to Great Britain by a political decision.

I remember, I know this is not a veh error, what about the small arms in Star Wars (another premiere me and Alien saw in Leicester Square), such as Sterlings, MG42, magazine less Lewis Guns.

There's also a guy in the cantina plainly wearing a British service respirator! and the blasters are modified Mauser "broom handles".

The original large scale model of the Millenium Falcon used in all 3 Star Wars films was built using components from plastic model kits of the time & if you look closely you will see the rear engine decks of 3 Panthers make up a large part of the top of the ship... & motorcycle forks BMW R75 possibly... I'll dig out my ILM book & have a look...

The Austin K9 becoming a 4x4 in the uphill climb shot...Ice cold in Alex

The lead Austin K2 ambulance in that film was converted to 4x4 for the film company, using a CMP Ford or Chev front axle, and presumably a transfer box from the same source. It was because of the mobility problems during filming, allegedly.

Richard

I rather liked the impressive interior lighting on the Jeeps in Kellys Heroes. Yes i too wish i could drive around in the dark with a light shining up in to my face. Also, what was the purpose of the extended top of the windscreen. Room for the camera man or a Yugo army modification. Really liked the film but just curious.

Tim (too)

Bell 47 Helicopter in "Where Eagles dare"??

Stop being that picky the rest was damm good, except for the Luftwaffe Harvard's. Still one of the greats though. Incedentally, the lancaster's in force ten from Navarone. Wood flats 4 foot long placed on about 100 sq yards of tarmac overlooking Corbiere. WC52 was real though.

Bell 47 Helicopter in "Where Eagles dare"??

When Broadsword calls Dannyboy he pulls a chrome plated whip antenna from the side of his Wireless Set No.18. Chrome plating not very good for camouflage. The antenna was made from green painted plug together copper tubes about 12in long carried in a recess at the side of the case. The output valve in the set was an ATP4 which gave about 1 watt output, operating indoors he would have been lucky to have had a range of even a mile, let alone reach London.

In the chase at the end I think I saw a FV610.

In the early bit when Burton & Eastwood are in one of the huts, you can see in the window the reflection of the camera crew.

But as always, if it's on the box, I end up watching it. :roll:

AEC Matadors in "The battle of Britain" Am I being picky but surely late summer 1940 was too early for RAF Matadors, and the few they had would have been Flatbeds on Bomber Airfields...

Maybe's,.........tho Bedford MW was real, enough;..............Its parked in my driveway at this very mo. ;-)