Land Rover series I chassis dimensions and plans?

Royal42

Hello all,  I hope that you had a happy and peaceful Christmas with good cheer. 

I have started a little modelling project in which I want to scratchbuild a series I Land Rover in 1:35 scale.  I don't think there is such a model to that scale in the marketplace so I am going to attempt my own.  I don't have any decent plans of how the chassis or the leaf suspension looks like;  however, I have found this low-resolution image.   Can anyone please advise me which publication the drawing is from?  Or could anyone please provide a well detailed drawing similar to it?

897527145_series1query.jpg.968438217b0026cc96d02c4050636416.jpg

Best Wishes,
Mike

You will find it or a better drawing ISTR in a Land Rover book from the 1980's.  by Tony Hutchins  - Land Rover  THE EARLY YEARS.  This is now a collectable and top$ book ,  limited numbered Edn. Hardback , I think it was later re-issued as a H.B.  or possibly a soft-back  ?  .  I have seen that Solihull  'General Arrangement ' before  -  I am thinking from a  Autocar Magazine.  There is a similar , but 'cut-away'  -  in  1976 (first published)  by Graham Robson  The Land Rover  : Workhorse of the World.   Just now - I can't think of any earlier LR book.

Hi ruxy,

thanks for the book description.  I did a search and found this one on Amazon; however, at £438 default_analintruder.gif  I think that I shall have to make do with the low res image.

I'm not aware of the LR series ONE club forum.  Would I be right to think it is only for real Land Rover owners, rather than models of?

cheers,
Mike

Yes,  I know it's expensive   £££££  but that's a try on - may be £200  ?    I have a original & it's a low number -in the box it came in.  I have a large library and LR is just a single interest.  Can't put hands on it just now.  IIRC it is a pull out centre feature.  Ab't  2005  - I purchased a 2nd printing oy because it had extra info. on some pre-pro that had not been known at 1st. printing.  Somebody on S1C  will put you wise before I can find the books , unfortunately on a car repair job outsie between finger warming sessions.

• Thanks 1

The workshop manual had drawing of chassis that could be scaled to your size.

The 80” (wheelbase) is pretty much same footprint as Jeep. 10’ long and 5’ wide. That’s the one you have as image. 

The 86” was about 8” longer and the 88” about 10’ (and about 4” wider).

The British motor industry heritage trust, Gaydon, may have drawings or you could befriend an owner and do som measuring…

Happy measuring

Peter

Edited by 7VHU
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rover-1948-58-Official-Workshop-Manuals/dp/0907073980/ref=asc_df_0907073980/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344430145172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2013741904346419987&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007448&hvtargid=pla-492388830633&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

This workshop manual has diagrams with dimensions of the chassis for 80", 86"/ 88" and 107"/109".  The 80" chassis has 35 different measurements listed.  Pages 196, 197 and 198.

I will try and scan them later.  

Brooklands Books did have them but I cannot find them on their website.

2 hours ago, 7VHU said:

The 80” (wheelbase) is pretty much same footprint as Jeep. 10’ long and 5’ wide. That’s the one you have as image. The 86” was about 8” longer and the 88” about 10’ (and about 4” wider).

Hi Peter,  thanks for those dimensions, I didn't realise that the 88" was actually wider as well as longer.

21 minutes ago, Oh Five said:

Pictures of the diagram for 80" chassis.

Dan

Hello Dan,  that is just the sort of drawings which I am looking for.  Would there be any chance of obtaining flat scans of those, so that I can print them out and use as templates please?

Best Wishes,
Mike

Hi Mike,

the chassis rails are 3” wide throughout their length (2.2 mm in your money)

Best to photographically scale the drawings as the sizes are intended for straightening bent bits and not helpful for building.

Peter

I just had a Gooogle around , surprisingly  - you seem correct - No. LR Series 1 (of any w.b.)  in kit form  !  ?

I just had a look at a Dinky  'Matchbox' that has been motoring with a Corgi Classics  Bedford CA Dormobile along the top of skirting box (covering c.h. pipework) in my downstairs loo for  30+ years.     The Dinky  (Made in Macoa)  1980   ,  Reg.  EOF 999 and underfarme describes as  DY/9/49   Series 1  80"  ,  of course we know there never was a Series One / 1   - that term was only introduced when the Series 2 was produced.  

So  the Dinky  80"  topsides  is quite good , it would be difficult to scale fault using a vernier.  However the underside details are just a blancmange monococque.   I'm not saying your 1:35 project is not possible , it's commendable - just the practicalities are grave if you intend a real chassis & suspension  - you would be only abt.  x2 size of the Dinky and to make use of dimensioned as built drawings - would be more than several sticks for your own back.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not scanning the plans for you yet, there have been some computer and operator problems.

Airfix and Scalextric have announced their 2023 ranges and both include Series 1 Land Rovers!

Airfix have a 107" pick up in 1:43 scale and they have re-issued the Bloodhound Missile which comes with a Series 2 or 2A SWB.

Scalextric have announced an 80" Land Rover.

Also, Airfix are releasing a 1/35 Ferret Mk2 and a 30-cwt truck.

If you are wanting to build in 1/35 scale, Italeri do a 1/35 Series 3 LWB soft top that could be butchered to make the chassis , seat box, cab floor and axles.  

Scans of the plans to follow soon.  Fingers crossed.

Dan

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.02.17.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.05.37.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.06.24.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.04.06.png

You realise that as soon as you complete your complicated scratchbuild of a Series 1 Land Rover, a major modelling company will release an injection moulded plastic model of the same subject.

This is one of the unwritten laws of plastic modelling.

Edited by simon king
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Oh Five said:

Sorry for not scanning the plans for you yet, there have been some computer and operator problems. Scans of the plans to follow soon.  Fingers crossed.

Dan

Hi Dan,

thanks for the recommendations, I am looking forward to the Airfix srs1 kit in order that I can measure up the parts to 1:35.

10 hours ago, simon king said:

You realise that as soon as you complete your complicated scratchbuild of a Series 1 Land Rover, a major modelling company will release an injection moulded plastic model of the same subject. This is one of the unwritten laws of plastic modelling.

I've already started so let's hope that, by doing this, I shall be helping other modellers get a 1:35 scale kit!

LR_series_I_chassis_v.1.jpg.9de102e1e4cb626f655bb3a166830114.jpg

cheers,
Mike

On 1/12/2023 at 10:33 PM, Oh Five said:

Sorry for not scanning the plans for you yet, there have been some computer and operator problems.

Airfix and Scalextric have announced their 2023 ranges and both include Series 1 Land Rovers!

Airfix have a 107" pick up in 1:43 scale and they have re-issued the Bloodhound Missile which comes with a Series 2 or 2A SWB.

Scalextric have announced an 80" Land Rover.

Also, Airfix are releasing a 1/35 Ferret Mk2 and a 30-cwt truck.

If you are wanting to build in 1/35 scale, Italeri do a 1/35 Series 3 LWB soft top that could be butchered to make the chassis , seat box, cab floor and axles.  

Scans of the plans to follow soon.  Fingers crossed.

Dan

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.02.17.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.05.37.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.06.24.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 22.04.06.png

While the Land Rover is a starter pack it is £15 - hardly pocket money .... or am I just out of touch ? I don't recall saving even 2 weeks for an Airfix kit, glue, pot of Humbrol paint.

OT but I often look back and wonder how if I had children the family and I could fund current versions of the Triang / Hornby / Wrenn items I still have packed away. The Hymek loco still has the price ticket with 75/- on the box. I may be wrong but I think Christmas 1970.

Edited by david1212

You are way out of touch David.  Times have changed; the cost of raw materials have gone up exponentially, people wages have risen exensively since 1970 and we demand more accuracy with technically advanced components in our models.  These all lead to us having to pay more for what we want

Mike

• Like 1

I have managed to scan the chassis dimensions.  Not sure if they are any better than the ones I took with my phone.

The Airfix starter sets includes paint, glue and a paint brush.

The prices have gone up but two things that have dropped/decreased are:

my ability to resist the temptation to buy kits;

and the amount of time that I have to spend building kits.

Dan  

80Chassis.jpg

86-88Chassis.jpg

That chassis drawing is clearly as stated 86" and 88"  (Series One , this term only started with the arrival of the Series 2) -  therefore the maximum overall width  DD  =  60.1/2"  ,  NB  the cranked outriggers for mounting the bulkhead - only with Series One. 

The S2.  S2A and S3  chassis width was the same  -  60.1/2" max.   These vehicles were 4" wider - but that was on body width (rounded waist , the S1 was slab-sided.

The Lightweight S2A  (Rover 1) and S3 - the chassiswidth  is 59.1/4" (I have just double- checked with tape-measure).   and the slab-sided body width is of course  60".

5 hours ago, ruxy said:

That chassis drawing is clearly as stated 86" and 88"  (Series One , this term only started with the arrival of the Series 2) -  therefore the maximum overall width  DD  =  60.1/2"  ,  NB  the cranked outriggers for mounting the bulkhead - only with Series One.

That is what has been confusing me with that plan.  How can it be both 86" and 88" when it shows the axle line to be in one position.   Does that drawing show an 86" and I have to move the axle back 2" for the 88" or is it the other way around?  I am assuming that the differences are made at the rear.

Can anyone here please advise me how many leaves make up the front and back springs on the Series One; also the dimensions of them?  The only drawings that I have seen show those areas blanked out by the wheels.

Thank for all your input, especially with those little pieces of additional information,  I do appreciate it and would like to see more information please.

Cheers,

Mike

7 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

That is what has been confusing me with that plan.  How can it be both 86" and 88" when it shows the axle line to be in one position.   Does that drawing show an 86" and I have to move the axle back 2" for the 88" or is it the other way around?  I am assuming that the differences are made at the rear.

Can anyone here please advise me how many leaves make up the front and back springs on the Series One; also the dimensions of them?  The only drawings that I have seen show those areas blanked out by the wheels.

Thank for all your input, especially with those little pieces of additional information,  I do appreciate it and would like to see more information please.

Cheers,

Mike

If you look at H  the w.b.  (wheel base)  - then it gives the different w.b.  dimension for both 86" and 88" ,  the rear tub length is also longer by same.   I had a 86" but got shot circa.  1968  , I have some S1  Rover books but they would take a bit of finding - there should be a table of differing spring data (that should be available by  Goooogling)   ,   thickness of leaves  and number of leaves - with your 1/35 - then could you get all the lines on a very small dimension  ?  There is no difference of spring bush centres front & rear for  86"  ,  88"  ,  107" and 109"    ,  possibly there was for 80" but never had one.

• Thanks 1

The front axle of a S1 88" is 2" further forward than on an 86", but all other major dimensions are the same. The rear body, doors etc are interchangeable. The overall length is the same too. The no 2 crossmember (under the radiator) is closer to the bumper on an 86" than an 88".

The change was to allow the 2L ohv diesel engine to fit in place of the 2L ioe petrol.

Edited by utt61
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the delay in responding guys, I have just had knee surgery and only now been able to get back to the mancave.  The information you are providing is very useful to me and I am compiling a small project pack with those details.

I can't (not allowed) use sharp instruments at the mo' as I am on blood thinning tablets; however, I am keen to start scratchbuilding one each of those 80in, 86in and 88in chassis at the earliest opportunity.

I plan to draw up the leaf springs in CAD and then 3D print them; hence why I would like to try and find the details for them, just to get it right.

All the best,

Mike