Bedford M Type - MK and MJ Manuals

Mark Ellis

Mark I have two main cross-referencing sources to B & E Vehicle publications that don't always agree.

REME Technical Services BAOR. March 1991
Army Technical Support Agency. August 1998

2050-0061  MK P2BMO  with winch CES AC No 34220

2094-0174 RHD MK P2BMO with 3T crane CES AC No 31114
2094-5174 LHD MK P2BMO with 3T crane CES AC No 31114

2038-6174 LHD MK P2BMO armament support with 3T crane CES AC No 31363
But 1991 list ascribes this to MJ.

2 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Mark I have two main cross-referencing sources to B & E Vehicle publications that don't always agree.

REME Technical Services BAOR. March 1991
Army Technical Support Agency. August 1998

2050-0061  MK P2BMO  with winch CES AC No 34220

2094-0174 RHD MK P2BMO with 3T crane CES AC No 31114
2094-5174 LHD MK P2BMO with 3T crane CES AC No 31114

2038-6174 LHD MK P2BMO armament support with 3T crane CES AC No 31363
But 1991 list ascribes this to MJ.

Brilliant. Thank you

2 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I had forgotten I have a further publication cross-reference in AESP 0200-A-096-013 Oct 1999

This also attributes 2038-6174 to MK rather than MJ.

The difference between the MK and MJ really is the Multi-fuel engine of the MK, compared to the pure diesel engine of the MJ. The other difference really being that the MJ's all came with the later Marshalls body, which didn't have the stowage bins and holders for the stowage of the canopy and its superstructure.

MK-bins-GS.jpg.1dfe4d9ae937a5465743b7cbb34d3a6b.jpg

I've got enough now to put the FOI in for the Bedford MK, and see what comes back. 

Thanks for your help, Clive

4 minutes ago, Mark Ellis said:

The difference between the MK and MJ really is the Multi-fuel engine of the MK, compared to the pure diesel engine of the MJ.

Mark,

There was another main difference between MK and MJ, that was in the air brake system. On the MK all air pipes were steel. On the MJ they were plastic pipes, this meant that all the fittings, elbows and adaptors were different.

17 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Mark,

The Army contract MK with crane - the IPC (Illustrated Parts Catalogue) for the crane only is Army Code 22753

The RAF MK with crane -  The crane IPC is Army Code 22883

Thanks, Richard.

Would you have the Air Publication number for that, just in case the Army one has gone - which it probably has?

19 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I had forgotten I have a further publication cross-reference in AESP 0200-A-096-013 Oct 1999

This also attributes 2038-6174 to MK rather than MJ.

Clive, I'm getting confused. is AESP 0200-A-096-013 a reference catalogue book, or an MJ CES book

16 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Mark,

There was another main difference between MK and MJ, that was in the air brake system. On the MK all air pipes were steel. On the MJ they were plastic pipes, this meant that all the fittings, elbows and adaptors were different.

Thanks for this, Richard.

My point was that in regards to CES of the MK and MJ, they'll still be the same wheel brace and jack, etc, and the same ground anchor scotches and cables if it's a W/Winch.

18 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

I've got enough now to put the FOI in for the Bedford MK, and see what comes back.

They are going to love you at Abbey Wood : )

If they don't have anything or it is too much time/effort your request may be regarded as vexatious, which has happened to me because the person on the other end couldn't grasp the points of the request.

If all else fails I have found a stash of FAESP 2320-H-100 octads that I haven't catalogued, I might be persuaded to sell the set.

3 hours ago, fv1609 said:

They are going to love you at Abbey Wood : )

If they don't have anything or it is too much time/effort your request may be regarded as vexatious, which has happened to me because the person on the other end couldn't grasp the points of the request.

If all else fails I have found a stash of FAESP 2320-H-100 octads that I haven't catalogued, I might be persuaded to sell the set.

Abbey Wood have been really helpful, partially because I've been giving them all the EMERs and ACN files for them to declassify. It's taken two years, but unlike a number of websites who are selling poor photo copies of photocopies on CD's - mine are legal - and they're all breaching the Official Secrets Act.
It partially took two years as I took my eye off the ball whilst working. Damn work.

These files, like the HMLC files, are being put on the web to try and keep whatever is remaining out of the scrapyards. I don't mind paying the odd bit of postage to return people's files - but I'm not buying anything. I think the MOD will have all of the AESP's and if not then I now have most of them on PDF here. The MK ones might be a different matter. It's a question of when the War reserve and RAF got ride of the last MKs.

I now have all of these on PDF

Bedford-files-M-type-MJ-have.jpg.605b165df8dceaf25b241f1dd1e9769c.jpg

But want these from MOD

Bedford-files-M-type-MJ-want.thumb.jpg.73ab69de7a7af8e3a0ec21a1a3598bcd.jpg

And want these 

Bedford-files-M-type-MK-ACN-Want.thumb.jpg.310d02854057b332cdc8f492c1bed69e.jpgBedford-files-M-type-MK-EMER-Want.jpg.ebf91a72297bf9fce8c302bfd48f59b4.jpg

Thanks for your help, Clive.

Onwards and upwards

10 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

Thanks, Richard.

Would you have the Air Publication number for that, just in case the Army one has gone - which it probably has?

Mark,

Info came from Army Code 60293 Equipment Regulations- Pamphlet No. 8 - Nomenclature and Coding of A, B, C and D Vehicles. Although listed as in RAF service the crane IPC was an Army Code number as quoted.

Clive its not as good as the mod sales catalogues in the fact it  does not show  the ERMs but does show the year in service date also on the question of cranes fitted the  HIAB SPEED LOADER 500 was fitted l have just looked in my file box as l was involved and found among the items  a JB MODEL OF  THE  MK still in the box which was sent to me by the model company  JB MODELS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wally dugan said:

You asked when the MKs left service the answer was the mid 1990s and by 2000 most if not all had gone the last up date on documents  was 2009 and that did not include  MKs only  MJs

I've just had a little play with Merlin. Merlin is an MOD computer Database program of equipment stock, with In Service and Cast (Disposal) dates. Merlin was started in 1986, and back dated to 1984. So any vehicle disposed of before 1984 would not appear on Merlin - which would include a number of MKs

Here's the results for the MK and MJ, and includes the number of vehicles that do not have a recorded Cast date. That could be human error or sat forgotten.
Merlin shows the bulk of the MJs being cast in 2013, but I've seen a M types in Chickerell Camp, perhaps three years ago

Merlin-results.jpg.0c803be51bced5e8c243099fe948f0f1.jpg

• 2 months later...

The collection of Bedford MJ files has grown, including the dedicated Bedford 5.4 Turbo diesel manual. https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/bedford-files-m-type-4x4-4-ton?authuser=0#h.26er164n7ubt

Just desperate for any MK files, especially for the Bedford 5.4 Multi Fuel engine - if anyone has a PDF of a hard copy that you could send me. Would be really appreciated. 

On 9/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, fv1609 said:

Never seen a souvenir catalogue like that before Wally. If only Ruddingtons were illustrated!

On 9/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, wally dugan said:

Clive its not as good as the mod sales catalogues ... also on the question of cranes fitted the  HIAB SPEED LOADER 500 was fitted ...

Clive, I was at those end of the line sales - there were several as I recall, not only that one - and as Wally says the catalogues weren't that special inside. My copies are buried somewhere though.

Wally, wasn't it just the early trucks that had Speedloaders, later ones having Atlas?