How is the heater in Ferrets ???

Panzer_peter

As standard there is no heater! You'll need to wear a thick coat ;)

The Canadians modified the heater from an M151, you can find the instructions on the web and the kits show up on ebay US from time to time.

Some people ran a duct from the radiator louvre back to the crew compartment. There are claims that you end up pumping exhaust gasses in addition to hot air into the crew compartment, so do this at your own risk.

Chris

I think anything designed to keep bullets out lets water in. There are no seals on the hatches, so they do leak water. If you leave a few bolts out of each drain plate the water generally runs out. Mine lives inside and usually only gets wet when I wash it. I've driven it in the rain before, the rain tends to get 'sharp' above a certain speed, it's still fun though :D

Chris

noticed that on the link someone postred the other day to that show

doesn't look too bad, appears to be missing a side bin lid though unless its a dark spot crweated by a shadow

original Bren gun post mounting - not many of those around still, you might have fun trying to get hold of the actual gun mount

best of luck - I'm sure you'll enjoy

Just close the rear hatches when it is really cold and wear goggles. :goodidea: A scarf to keep the bugs out of your teeth when you are grinning is also essential. Give my regards to Copenhagen - I got married there. The resistance museum and the weapons collection in the war museum are superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :-)

As I am preparing to buy a Ferret, I would like to hear from you Ferret owners about the heater system ?? I gets very cold i Denmark, and I would like to know what i am in for ??

best, Peter :-)

If you had been in the UK I'd have called you a wimp for wanting a heater in a Ferret, but I know how cold Denmark gets. I spent a good few German winters getting very cold in Ferrets.

About 1980-81 I was the coldest man in Europe - documented fact. Guard duty tended to come around once or twice a month weeknights and once a month weekends. One night the guard commander, on the advice of the orderly officer, jigged the stags because of the cold. Normally each two-hour stag saw one man on the gate and two prowlers. This night, the prowlers were dispensed with because it was deemed too cold for anyone to break into camp. Rather than risk the gate guard being found frozen stiff after two hours, the three men on stag rotated in 20-minute intervals on the gate through their stag with 40 minutes to thaw, then four hours off as normal. Hot drinks were forthcoming.

Following morning BFBS radio informed us that a massive anticyclone was centred over Sennelager, the temperature had dropped to minus 40 (where Fahrenheit and Centigrade converge) and Paderborn was thus the coldest place in Europe. I had stagged on four times overnight. I claim my prize.

Mao suits were in their infancy. Our Command Troop somehow managed to acquire some and I found myself the proud owner. Best it never made it onto a form 1033 or 1157, and it remained with me long after I transferred to the reserve. I also managed to acquire a pair of Panzerstiefel - Bundeswehr fleece-lined Jack boots for tank crews. Then there was the cut-off 3/4 length greatcoat because there were not enough parkas to go around after the officers had had first pic: Trooper Alien was a long way down the queue. I also wore my fleece-lined motorcycle gauntlets up to the elbow.

I might have looked "like a refugee from the trenches of the Great War" but the cold whilst driving the Ferret was bearable.