Ferrets and MOTs

Rick W

Not totally true. My Ferret is built before 1960, therefore is MOT exempt on that clause. Look for one with BA, BB, CA or CC registration numbers. Later vehicles DA, DC, DD, EA etc will not qualify. Our Fox is MOT exempt on a different clause. It's sole purpose is to transport a gun, therefore it becomes a gun tractor, and is exempt from MOT testing. There are other rumours going around about them being 4 wheel drive and impossible to test, etc etc. I've never seen the 'armoured car' one before though. There are ways and means to make them exempt. The guy at our local DVLA office said he tries to get as many of these 'unusual' vehicles exempt as possible, as it just makes life easier for everyone.

Chris

MOT legislation is a right mare's nest. Thing is when tax renewal comes through does it say MOT? When taxing at some post offices you may get 'Cant give it to you, the computer says no MOT history', just point to bottom of form. There is still a legal requirement to keep the vehicle road legal, remember even MOT says at the time of examination, an hour later you can still get done for an unroadworthy vehicle.

This is a very grey area where everyone speaks from their own personal experience, however the following is the absolute start point:

The DVLA has absolutely nothing to do with MOT and has no power to exempt a vehicle from MOT unless the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) has given type approval under the construction and use regulations.

As our military vehicles were never intended for civilian regulations, type approval does not exist for Ferrets. This is why your V5 document (and annual V11 licence renewal notice) does not say your vehicle is exempt and means you have to claim exemption yourself each year.

Therefore it is down to whatever exemption class you wish to claim for yourself. This is your own decision and until a test case occurs (eg. following an accident) no one can be sure they have it right because, even speaking to VOSA officials, you will not get a consistent response in my personal experience.

My personal position (mine is a 1965 EC registration)

I hold an e mail from a senior technical officer at VOSA which was a reply to my query originally sent to DVLA (and forwarded by them to VOSA) in which the officer states " your Ferret is not exempt by age but we class such vehicles as motor tractors which therefore falls within an existing exemption category" (using Form 112G)

Do I have faith in this statement - frankly NO - I have claimed exemption in the past but now pay for a test - £40 is a small price to pay to be able to show a police officer that the vehicle was independently confirmed to be road worthy on a certain date

Yes its a waste of money but I feel safer, I don't know of any accident involving innocent fatalities but I am skeptical that an insurance company would not try to wriggle out if the claim was a big one - basic start point: no MOT = invalidated insurance cover.

If you want to claim exemption, form V112G can be used however its unlikely your V5 says the vehicle's registration class is motor tractor so be it on your own head. (Para 30 is the "age related" exemption clause)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v112g.pdf

John

the only date mentioned in current regs is 1st January 1960 (para 30 form V112G)

I think you will find that this date, 1st Jan 1960, relates to "Good Vehicles, not used for carrying goods", over 3.5 tons gross weight and built before above date. Quite how an armoured vehicle falls in that category, I do not know.

One of my clients has a Daimler Dingo scout car, and after discussing with Swansea, they put it in "Special Purpose" category and when the renewal slip comes through, there is no mention of test certificate on there. You cannot get it more sound than that.

My mistake, meant 1960. How things have changed, years ago ther was an "armoured car " category in the list of exempted vehicles, very usefull then with lots of dingo's and humber pigs coming out of service.

I MOT my Dodge wc52 every year, with no problem, lucky to find a very understanding MOT tester. It seems still a lot of Dodge owners are still claiming exemption, but they do not qualify, even a winch truck is below the 3500kg gross weight

If it's pre 1960 you can use form V112G... download it here...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=84247&Rendition=Web

Claim for Exemption from Goods Vehicle Testing Requirements and Vehicles outside the scope

of the 1988 regulations, but having an allocated Plate

Declaration Please read the appropriate notes below and overleaf before completing this form.

I claim that the vehicle Registration Mark

for which I have applied for a vehicle licence disc to commence on

is exempt from the provision of section 53(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 under the Goods Vehicle (Plating and Testing) Regulations 1988. The vehicle falls into one of the following four categories:-

• it is exempt under Regulation 44(1)(e) because it is used used on the public road by an Order made under section 44 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 *

• it is used on certain off-shore islands or other specified areas which are exempted by Regulation 44(2)*

• it is a vehicle of a class listed in Schedule 2 (see overleaf) which exempts it from the testing requirement

• it is outside the scope of Schedule 2, i.e. being a heavy/light locomotive or motor tractor within the meaning of the Road Traffic Act 1988, but has an allocated revenue weight.

Signature * See Note 3 below

If you are signing for a partnership, limited company

or other legal entity, give your position in the firm

Goods Vehicle Testing –

Declaration of Exemption

Test Certificates

Notes

1. A current test certificate or certificate of temporary exemption must be produced with an application for a heavy goods vehicle if the vehicle is one to which section 53(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 applies by virtue of the Goods Vehicles (Plating and Testing) Regulations 1988. In cases of doubt, the Regulations should be consulted, but their general effect is that goods vehicles over 3500kgs gross weight (revenue weight for Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) purposes) are subject to testing.

2. Classes of vehicle to which Section 53(2) does not apply are specified in the Schedule to the Regulations

(see overleaf).

If you consider your vehicle meets one of these descriptions, you must complete the declaration on the relicensing application (V10/V11) and submit one of these forms for exemption on each occasion that a licence is applied for.

3. Some vehicles which would normally require to have test certificates may be specially exempted if used on a road for a purpose set out in Regulation 44(1) or within the limits set out in Regulation 44(2) of the Goods Vehicles (Plating and Testing) Regulations 1988.

Regulation 44(2) reads as follows:

"The provisions of section 53(1) and (2) of the 1988 Act shall not apply to the use of a vehicle in so far as such use occurs in any place (excluding the Isle of Wight, the islands of Lewis, Mainland (Orkney), Mainland (Shetland) and Skye) being an island or to any area mainly surrounded by water, being an island or area from which motor vehicles not constructed for special purposes can at no time be conveniently driven to a road in any other part of Great Britain by reason of the absence of any bridge, tunnel, ford or other way suitable for the passage of such motor vehicles".

In either of these circumstances a claim for exemption and a Declaration must be made before a vehicle licence disc can be issued.

(for vehicle licensing purposes only)

V112G

2/07

1. Dual purpose vehicles not constructed or adapted to form part of an articulated vehicle.

2. Mobile cranes as defined in Schedule 3 of the 1971 Act.

3. Breakdown vehicles

4. Engineering plant and plant not being engineering plant, which is movable plant or equipment being a motor vehicle or trailer (not constructed to carry a load) especially designed and constructed for the special purposes of engineering operations.

5. Trailers being drying or mixing plant designed for the production of asphalt or of bituminous or tar macadam.

6. Tower wagons as defined in:

a. paragraph 8 of schedule 1 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act

1994 as originally enacted; or

b. paragraph 17 of schedule 2 to that Act as originally enacted.

7. Road construction vehicles as defined in Section 62 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 as originally enacted; and road rollers.

8. Vehicles designed and used solely for fire fighting or fire salvage purposes.

9. Works trucks straddle carriers used solely as works trucks and works trailers.

10. Electrically-propelled motor vehicles.

11. Vehicles used solely for one or both of the following purposes:-

a. Clearing frost, ice or snow from roads by means of a snow plough or smaller contrivance, whether forming part of the vehicle or not, and

b. spreading material on roads to deal with, ice or snow.

12. Motor vehicles used for no other purposes than the haulage of lifeboats and the conveyance of the necessary gear of the lifeboats which are being hauled.

13. Living vans the Design Gross Weights of which does not exceed 3500kgs.

14. Vehicles constructed or adapted for, and used primarily for the purpose of carrying equipment permanently fixed to the vehicle which equipment is used for medical, dental, veterinary, health, educational, display, clerical or experimental laboratory purposes, such use

a. not directly involving the sale, hire or loan of goods from the vehicle; and

b. not directly or indirectly involving drain cleaning or sewerage or refuse collection.

15. Trailers which have no other brakes than a parking brake and brakes which automatically come into operation on the over-run of the trailer.

16. A motor vehicle at a time when it is being used on a public road during any calendar week if:

a. it is being used only in passing from land in the occupation of the person keeping the vehicle to other land in his occupation; and

b. it has not been used on public roads for distances exceeding an aggregate of six miles in that calendar week; and a trailer drawn by a motor vehicle that is being used on a public road in such circumstances.

17. Agricultural motor vehicles and agricultural trailed appliances.

18. Agricultural trailers and agricultural trailed appliance conveyors drawn on roads only by an agricultural motor vehicle.

18a. Convertor dollies used solely for the purposes of agriculture, horticulture and forestry, or for any one or two of these purposes.

19. Public Service Vehicles (as defined in Section 1 of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 (b).

20. Licensed taxis (as defined in Section 13(3) of the Transport Act 1985 ©.

21. Vehicles used solely for the purpose of funerals.

22. Goods vehicles to which any of the prescribed construction and use requirements do not apply by virtue of either of the following items in the Table in Regulation 4(4) of the Construction and Use Regulations namely:-

a. item 1 (which relates to vehicles proceeding to a port for export);

b. item 4 (which relates to vehicles in the service of a visiting force or of a headquarters).

23. Vehicles equipped with a new improved equipment or types of equipment and used solely by a manufacturer of vehicles or their equipment or by an importer of vehicles, for or in connection with the test or trial of any such equipment.

24. Motor vehicles brought into Great Britain and displaying a registration mark mentioned in regulation 5 of the Motor Vehicles (International Circulation) Regulations 1971 (a), a period of 12 months not having elapsed since the vehicle in question was last brought into Great Britain.

25. Motor vehicles in respect of which a test certificate issued in accordance with Article 34 of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981(a) is in force or which are for the time being licensed under the Vehicles (Excise) Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 (b).

26. Vehicles having a base or centre in any of the following islands, namely Arran, Bute, Great Cumbrae, Islay, Mull, Tiree or North Uist from which the use of the vehicle on a journey is normally commenced.

27. Trailers brought into Great Britain and having a base or centre in a country outside Great Britain from which the use of the vehicle on a journey is normally commenced, a period of 12 months not having elapsed since the vehicle in question was last brought into Great Britain.

28. Track-laying vehicles.

29. Steam propelled vehicles.

30. Motor vehicles first used before 1st January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailers manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen.

For the purposes of this paragraph any determination as to when a motor vehicle is first used shall be made as provided in regulation 3(3) of the Construction and Use Regulations.

31. Motor vehicles constructed, and not merely adapted, for the purpose of street cleansing, or collection or disposal of waste or the collection or disposal of the contents of gullies and which are either:

a. three-wheeled vehicles, or

b. vehicles which:-

(i) are incapable by reason of their construction of exceeding a speed of 20 miles per hour on the level under their own power; or

(ii) have an inside track width of less than 1100 millimetres.

32. Vehicles designed and used for the purposes of servicing or controlling or loading or unloading aircraft while so used

a. on an aerodrome as defined in Section 105 (1) of the Civil Aviation Act 1982 ©

b. on roads outside such an aerodrome if, except when proceeding directly from one part of such an aerodrome to another part thereof the vehicles are unladen and are not drawing a laden trailer.

33. Vehicles designed for use, and used on an aerodrome mentioned in paragraph 32, solely for the purpose of road cleansing, the collection or disposal of refuse or the collection or disposal of the contents of gullies and cesspools.

34. Vehicles provided for police purposes and maintained in work shops approved by the Secretary of State as suitable for such maintenance, being provided in England and Wales by a police authority or the Receiver for the metropolitan police district, or, in Scotland, by a police authority or a joint police committee.

35. Heavy motor cars or cars constructed or adapted for the purpose of forming part of an articulated vehicle and which are used for drawing only a trailer falling within a class of vehicle specified in paragraph 13, 14 or 15 of this schedule or a trailer being used for or in connection with any purpose for which it is authorised to be used on roads by an order under Section 44(1) of the 1988 Act, being an order authorising that trailer or any class or description of trailers comprising that trailer to be used on roads.

36. Play buses.

Classes of vehicle exempted under Schedule 2 of the

Goods Vehicles (Plating & Testing) Regulations 1988)

sorry I got confused after reading #4

4. Engineering plant and plant not being engineering plant, which is movable plant or equipment being a motor vehicle or trailer (not constructed to carry a load) especially designed and constructed for the special purposes of engineering operations

and I thought the tax code in my country was difficult to understand . Not picking on any one just agreeing how hard it is to understand things

cool thanks Lee. I looked at the v112 earlier today and thought I was in for a pain in the xxxx.

As mine was in service in 1959, looks like I just need to take along all my documentation just in case they get shirty :-D

Mick

Mick,

just need your Insurance cert, V112G... just sign it, no boxes to tick... your reminder & tick the exemption box at the bottom... Job done :-D