Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Ah, that must have been over 20 years ago, unfortunately, we didn't know as much, as we do now!!  I had pumps reproduced 10 years ago, but the price was very high, so when WB UK started making them, they were cheaper, with the bits all CNCed, so bought them there, but still 100 quid, but they look and work very good.

Cheers,

Lex

Welbike pump 03.jpg

Yes, I was wondering the same? the other day I used a 5 year old spraycan, I had filled with my own paint, 2K, with very little hardener in it, and after some persuasion it still worked enough, to finish a part I was spraying! had to use a small burner to get some life into the can, but it did work.

Cheers,

Lex

My paint has become lumpy and almost looks like it has split. I have tried stirring it thinning it but to know avail. I have filtered the spray gun but it’s still through small lumps/imperfections onto the parts being sprayed.

I am using a Zinfos paint (Manor Systems?) which it better know as industrial container paint etc…..it give a great finish but this last little bit does not want to play. It’s such a shame is I have just three bits left to paint 🙈

I’ve had this with a modern oil (I don’t think it was oil, I think it was a modern alternative) based paint. The stuff just separated and would not mix again whatever I tried. It was like a thick gloup sitting in thinners, mixing it just made the lumpy bits smaller before it settled back into a few gloupy bits again.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:58 AM, Chris Hall said:

I’ve had this with a modern oil (I don’t think it was oil, I think it was a modern alternative) based paint. The stuff just separated and would not mix again whatever I tried. It was like a thick gloup sitting in thinners, mixing it just made the lumpy bits smaller before it settled back into a few gloupy bits again.

Yes Chris. This describes my issue perfectly.

You'll be lucky to find a complete one! but just buy a repro light, and transfer the knob over to the old lamp, should work, they are not bad at all. (except for the Phillips screw)

Lex

First picture, from the Lucas catalog, second picture a repro.

LucasTankPanelLamp.JPG

pa010023.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

Another productive day on the G3.

The rear tail light has now been resprayed, twin pin converted and fitted.

I have managed to mix a second batch of paint which I am very happy with so the tank has been painted, splash guard on and tank fitted!

The saddle nose seems awfully tight on the tank but it’s all fitted now!

Now starting to turn my attention to the instruments and final bits of wiring!

29C4B3C3-8844-4511-8AC9-BAD68671642A.jpeg

C2499793-703D-401D-A24A-5F9DBCE1A79A.jpeg

047B9384-3D80-4023-A32B-AB3C2D2238B3.jpeg

7733DAA2-98B6-446D-A1EA-09DB3A8017D2.jpeg

8FF4C15A-43F0-44CA-A5B5-30AC4A93B232.jpeg

B233CF70-E287-4167-89B0-70F7BD17EC45.jpeg

66C87CE5-8F31-4AC1-AA3D-CD82F87E9EFE.jpeg

• Like 2