Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

The last push to finish the Matchless I have finally found an original DC40D inspection lamp which is currently in transit. Unfortunately after all of the care and attention in clean the fuel tank internally being left empty has caused it to start to rust inside. I am thinking either fill it with fuel, leave then drain, or it’s a tank off job and tank sealer kit? Any advice would be most welcomed.

Secondly I cannot find definitely the correct transfers that should be applied to the bike? And assisting would be greatefully received! 

Steve the only transfers I think you need from Classic Transfers are 6288 for the rear guard and the AMC tank top transfer that was used during the war years 8452.

I've also spoken to Matchless expert Steve Warner who says that he's almost 100% sure that the WD G3's had the Bakelite DC40D panel lamp as all the ones he's seen have the internal bayonet fitting and not the external pips for the brass lamp. 

Ron 

G3 078 (3).JPG

Transfer on G3 tank 01.jpg

G3 167.JPG

Ron, you forgot the one under the inspection cap! 

And JT was working on having a better rear mudguard transfer made, the one now available is not very good with wrong font etc.

The tanktop transfer I have drawn from originals, and sent the artwork to Classic Transfers, so it's perfect!

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_2850.jpg

N.O.S. Mudguard Ries.JPG

Edited by welbike
spelling

Look at my picture Lex, the inspection cap transfer is there and comes in a two part kit number 6025. I won't beat myself up over the mudguard transfer. I'll buy one if they get made but I can't see a great deal of difference.  Ron

Hi Steve,

I’m so impressed with the quality and speed of your work, I hope my G3WO comes out half as good! Can I ask what you do with your nuts and bolts etc to get the factory fresh look?

Where did you get most of your spares from?

I bet you’re looking forward to getting it out on the road!

P.S. in case you find your exhaust pipe finned clamp repair does not hold up  I’ve just found that I have a spare.

Tom

10 hours ago, Tom M said:

Hi Steve,

I’m so impressed with the quality and speed of your work, I hope my G3WO comes out half as good! Can I ask what you do with your nuts and bolts etc to get the factory fresh look?

Where did you get most of your spares from?

I bet you’re looking forward to getting it out on the road!

P.S. in case you find your exhaust pipe finned clamp repair does not hold up  I’ve just found that I have a spare.

Tom

Tom.

I hope you are well! Thank you for your kind words.

I purchased most of my nuts and bolts from Nooky’s nuts, which can be found online. Spares have been found all over, including eBay and Facebook, persistence pays off!

I have box of bits left over so give me a shout if you need anything.

I just can’t wait to finish it now!