Start of the tracked saga...

ArtistsRifles

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news - we failed - this time!! :cry: :cry:

Luck of the draw - I got the new trainee when my ticket number came up who had to go and look it all up/ring DVLA Swansea. He's told me that all DVLA offices now have a copy of a memo advising a change in the Law, retrospective to last year, saying that NOTHING over 2.55m can be registered for road use in the UK since last year. :argh: :argh:

I've just found this link on the DFT website (scroll down for vehicle dimensions).

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/importsapproval/howtoimportyourvehicleperman4559?page=2

Maximum dimensions are 2.55x12 metres. This thread is the first I'd heard of it, so they aren't going out of their way to advertise the change.

I've just found this link on the DFT website (scroll down for vehicle dimensions).

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/importsapproval/howtoimportyourvehicleperman4559?page=2

Maximum dimensions are 2.55x12 metres. This thread is the first I'd heard of it, so they aren't going out of their way to advertise the change.

Then why do some of the major crane hire firms around here have mobile units bordering on the 3m wide and with 57 and 08 registration plates running around in daily use on the roads???

Well - at long last the OT is now in it's new home in Essex. Despite the worst Friday the 13th could throw at us (see blog entry for details) she was delivered and off loaded OK then put into the storage area beside a nice Bedford QL. Got some film to get off the camera and upload plus I think Jason (AMVG) has some good photo's.

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Cheers Paul!!

Just been on the phone to Russian Military - apparently the other owner who'd had his OT set up for the road wnet to Sidcup this week and get his one done so I'm going to shoot down there on Wednesday (Mon is "H" test day, Tues is the wifes new kitchen being delivered).

In defence - I never took it!! :)

I was somewhat otherwise engaged in trying to remember the start sequence for the OT-90 and then get her rolling so I gave the camera to John, the chap with the keys to the hangar....

And in HIS defence - he had his big toe amputated the Saturday before this!!!! :shake:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished loading the OT and got home at 23:00 last night - in the end Steve decided to winch her on as the railway sleepers kept sliding on the dust.....

Met Ken at Great Yeldham at 08:20 this morning and off-loaded her sweet as anything. Just as well really as we had a largish audience that formed up when the engine was started! :):)

Now that she is back in her home I need to sort out (in no order of priority..):

1) washing her down inside and out

2) fitting the pipes for the rear bilge pump that Richard delivered at the show

3) getting the rainwater out of a couple of low-lying areas.

4) getting her road registered

Trust me Tony - she's NOT like her mother in this regard!! The missus hates the OT........

As for the smell - well, every one so far has said the OT smells more like an aircraft inisde than an armoured vehicle.. Maybe thats something to do with it!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• 1 month later...