Start of the tracked saga...

ArtistsRifles

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the photo's , I say shes looking darn nice inside all the data and instruction plates and the seats look in good condition ....the vision blocks for the driver and rear passengers ! are all of them in good condition too?

Thank you for the photo's , I say shes looking darn nice inside all the data and instruction plates and the seats look in good condition ....the vision blocks for the driver and rear passengers ! are all of them in good condition too?

All A! OK mate - the vehicles were refurbed by the Czech Gov't at a cost of over 220,000 Euros each. Everything was placed to bring them up almost to as new condition - even the leather straps, bags and canvas/webbing fittings are brand new!!

Sounds fantastic,............buy a pretty dam near 'New', military vehicle. :-D

Without going into too much detail, how does purchase costs work out compaired to something, equivilent allied, in same - ish condition. ??

Andy

Good question - and I'm not sure of the answer!!! This one cost me £13.5K + VAT and another £8K + vat for the tracks to fitted with rubber pads, UK road lighting and a rear-view camera. I've not seen a 432 in the same condition for sale - not just cosmetically but with brand new tracks, road wheels, engine & gearbox/final drive. Maybe one of the 432 owners could have a guess at answering this???

On top of the costs above there is about to be another £570 or £855 depending on whether I can get 2 or all 3 - for the 7.62mm PKT's. No idea how much a KVPT will cost - but Richard now has a class V firearms cert so he's looking into the costs of getting some from the Czechs.

Nice pics Neil. One thing that surprises me on the light Russian PW armour is the narrowness of the tracks, one of the big advantages always quoted for the T34 was because of the width of its tracks it was able to move in mud and snow which defeated German armour. The Russian mud hasn't changed so this seems to be a retro step. Any thoughts?

I'm gueesing here to be honest - but the OT has a very light ground pressure so the narrow tracks can cope. The heavier stuff seems to have wider tracks - there was t34/85 in the work shop having a new engine fitted and the width of one track on that was more or less equal to both the Ot'S together....

Good question - and I'm not sure of the answer!!! This one cost me £13.5K + VAT and another £8K + vat for the tracks to fitted with rubber pads, UK road lighting and a rear-view camera. I've not seen a 432 in the same condition for sale - not just cosmetically but with brand new tracks, road wheels, engine & gearbox/final drive. Maybe one of the 432 owners could have a guess at answering this???

On top of the costs above there is about to be another £570 or £855 depending on whether I can get 2 or all 3 - for the 7.62mm PKT's. No idea how much a KVPT will cost - but Richard now has a class V firearms cert so he's looking into the costs of getting some from the Czechs.

Well, for what you've got, Neil; it sounds a bargin :-D

And unique, as well..........hope you've strengthened your shelves, as I feel various show awards may well be heading your way, this year. :)

Andy

It still is serious money imo but tracked armor usually is a lot more expensive!

When was your OT build?

Yeah, like you say- armour usually has a high price to private owners these days. What I forgot was the VAT @ 17.5% when I signed on the dotted line!!:shocked: Still - she's paid for now so alls done and dusted. If I keep her nice and clean I should at least break even if I ever have to sell - not that thats a consideration.

AFAIK the build date is late Seventies/early Eighties - this is when the OT's were turned out by PPS Detva. Whats not certain is whether or not they were converted from BMP-1's (in which case the original build date would be late Sixties) or whether they were actually built from new.

• 2 weeks later...

OK- it's now 08:15; in 20 minutes I'm off to Chelmsford armed with a V55/5 and a V112, insurance certificate plus whatever paperwork I have for the OT-90 to try and get her reigistered and taxed.

Wish me luck folks - especially as the insurance runs out at midnight tonight!!!!

Bad news - we failed - this time!! :cry: :cry:

Luck of the draw - I got the new trainee when my ticket number came up who had to go and look it all up/ring DVLA Swansea. He's told me that all DVLA offices now have a copy of a memo advising a change in the Law, retrospective to last year, saying that NOTHING over 2.55m can be registered for road use in the UK since last year. :argh: :argh:

I raised the issue about the Army's Challenger 2's or things like Antars, FV432's my own Stalwart - even the 2004 F-50 sitting at home on the drive. All he could say though was the law changed form a certain date and thats what they have to go by. I've been given the phone number for the DFT to appeal against this decision on the basis no one knew anything about it when I bought the vehicle and I've spent $13K inc VAT getting it to comply with UK road requirement which in turn has reduced any chance of hiring it out for film/TV work. Hell - even the police are unaware as I e-mailed both Essex and Kent Police specifically to ask if it could be used on the road and was told by both of them all I needed to do was notify them of the route a few days in advance....

:( Damn

Yeah - devil of it now is - I'm not sure what to do next.

1) I can try another DVLA office and hope somone there might let it through based on past experience.

OR

2) I can ring the DFT and lodge an appeal which can take a couple of months to get processed.

If I go for #2 then it stops me from trying another office........

What to do for the best is now the question... :confused: :??? :confused: :???

This old country aint getting any better to live in , is it ! What another waste of time and money that cost to change this law ! I must be turning into a very grumpy old man ! You have my sympathy Neil ! I would try a different office cos you know how incompetant some of these places can be ! Good luck mate !

• 3 weeks later...

Well - despite the best laid plans the jinx is still working!! :cry:

Went up to Russian Military today, got the OT out ready to load then waited for the low-loader. We'd had a call at about 10:15 Hrs to say the lowloader was passing the M25/A1 junction so were expecting it to arrive at March around 12:30 - 13:00 Hrs. No sign by 14:00 so called again and was told they blown a Suzie at Duxford and had had to wait for a fitter but were just at the top of the M11 ans should be with us inside the hour. 15:00 hrs they rang Richard as my phone battery was flat and Richard tried to guide them in...

90 minutes later after the lowloader had gone around in circles outside March numerous times we went out to guide him in. Found him less than 5 minutes drive from the yard, pulled up behind and he drove off. So Richard called him again and said hang on, we're right behind you and he was told they'd had enough and were going home!!!! :argh: :argh:

So - the OT is still up in Cambridgeshire and now I've done what I likely should have done from day 1 and asked Richard to get it shipped for me!!!

Edited by ArtistsRifles

So Richard called him again and said hang on, we're right behind you and he was told they'd had enough and were going home!!!! :argh: :argh:

I can't believe anything like that! Why would they do something so utterly childish? They used all that fuel as-well as wear and tear and time for nothing.

Whats the name of this lot so no-one else uses them?

BTW, I know the name of a very reliable haulier but he has moved stuff for Mr Moore before so he probably wouldn't be interested

Regards

Richard