WW2 aircraft accident at Shoreham

Great War truck

Blimey,.................I've literaly just come past airfield, well on a27, and stuff is still performing;.............I didn't see any plumes of smoke/blue lights or hear any sirens etc.

Will have to see local news tonight, and see whats reported there.

Cheers for reporting this.

Andy

As a suggestion, anyone whose at a BofB event tomorrow,-or indeed any event, tomorrow, and normally flies a flag off vehicle,...........fly it at half mast.

Not just in respect to this pilot, but to ALL pilots who gave their lives;

Just an idea.

Andy

who WILL be flying union flag at half mast tomorrow at Newhaven Fort.

As a suggestion, anyone whose at a BofB event tomorrow,-or indeed any event, tomorrow, and normally flies a flag off vehicle,...........fly it at half mast.

Not just in respect to this pilot, but to ALL pilots who gave their lives;

Just an idea.

Andy

who WILL be flying union flag at half mast tomorrow at Newhaven Fort.

A very nice suggestion. Thank you.

Was at Newhaven Fort, yesterday.....................had the Spitfire and Hurricane from the Battle of Britain Memorial flight do a flypast, which was then followed be the sounding of Last Post.

There was a dedication read out just previous to both the above asking for two minutes silence in respect of ALL those who gave their lives during the Battle of Britain period, AND also to the Hurricane pilot who died at shoreham.

I'm pleased to say thet 99% of those there honoured this period of quite contemplation.

Not been a good year for clasic aviation then - just heard from a friend over in the US - they recently lost two P-51's - an "A" and a "D" in a landing crash out there. One pilot killed there too sadly.

Neil,

Think I saw a film clip of that, they were both landing together, one behind the other, and the following one clipped the tail of the other pulled up then went in, assume because the prop was damaged. This plane was a replica if I remember correctly.

At least when my truck breaks down it just comes to a stop.

The pilots that put these vintage warbirds through their paces for our entertainment really do have my respect.

Hats off to them i say.

They keep the memory alive

So true............

The P51 Mustang, "Big Beautiful Doll", lives a couple of miles away and when we hear it coming, all work stops to watch, especially when practising a display routine.

Neil,

Think I saw a film clip of that, they were both landing together, one behind the other, and the following one clipped the tail of the other pulled up then went in, assume because the prop was damaged. This plane was a replica if I remember correctly.

Thats right sir. They were supposed to land seperately but for reasons unknown the "A" variant - which was a 100% handbuilt copy from original drawings - came in the same time as the "D". Just at touchdown, the "A" got caught in the port wingtip vortex of the "D" and was pulled in too close; his prop caught the port wing, then worked its way up the fuselage and over the tail. The "A" flipped on its back from the torque and slapped upside-down in the grass and exploded instantly. The "D" nosed in from the impact and skidded to a stop tail-up, ruining the prop and probably causing engine damage, but looked like it was repairable.

This is the link to the crash footage - hopefully it's still OK.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/raw-footage-oshkosh-p-51-aeroplane-crash/3237268459