Fording Trials Branch REME

Keith Sanders

4138 waterproofing course proving it`s work, wading in the sea at FTB Instow

4139 Beach armoured recovery vehicle (BARV) recovering failed landrover on ramp of LCM

4140 BARV recovering failed Chieftain using crossed tow ropes

4141 The later Stalwart (MarkII?) with a self-recovery winch under the cab. We later did trials with this and a rocket fired anchor, see 0006. That`s me on the cab roof.

4142 Chieftain river crossing trials at Wyke Regis, near Weymouth.  The Stalwart was the diving team`s support vehicle and I was driving. The Chieftain was totally submerged and controlled remotely from the top of the tower.

4143 A Centurion variation used by the Royal Engineers

0005  I was asked to take local council members in my Stalwart to inspect damage to Bideford bridge when an arch collapsed 

Scan 4138.jpg

Scan 4139.jpg

Scan 4140.jpg

Scan 4141.jpg

Scan 4142.jpg

Scan 4143.jpg

Scan 4145.jpg

Service 0005.jpg

Service 0006.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Keith Sanders said:

4138 waterproofing course proving it`s work, wading in the sea at FTB Instow

4139 Beach armoured recovery vehicle (BARV) recovering failed landrover on ramp of LCM

4140 BARV recovering failed Chieftain using crossed tow ropes

4141 The later Stalwart (MarkII?) with a self-recovery winch under the cab. We later did trials with this and a rocket fired anchor, see 0006. That`s me on the cab roof.

4142 Chieftain river crossing trials at Wyke Regis, near Weymouth.  The Stalwart was the diving team`s support vehicle and I was driving. The Chieftain was totally submerged and controlled remotely from the top of the tower.

4143 A Centurion variation used by the Royal Engineers

0005  I was asked to take local council members in my Stalwart to inspect damage to Bideford bridge when an arch collapsed 

Scan 4138.jpg

Scan 4139.jpg

Scan 4140.jpg

Scan 4141.jpg

Scan 4142.jpg

Scan 4143.jpg

Scan 4145.jpg

Service 0005.jpg

Service 0006.jpg

Great pictures and thanks for posting. One comment though, it is a Centurion being recovered in No 3, rather than a Chieftain.

Steve.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:29 PM, CRSCRS said:

65F6CB00-FB52-44FE-B126-B51C6DDCBBA1.jpeg

That is similar to the one I saw but they were in a reservoir near Otterburn, the picture was hanging in the MT section after being presented by the team, trying to remember 30 years ago as well. Wonder if its still around

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, silly mistake. I should know better as the BARV was Centurion based. The first was designed at FTB then the Royal Ordnance factory at Leeds built another five or six. I`m not sure as they were often changed around. there was always one on "Fearless" and one on "Intrepid"  I once taught a R A F helicopter pilot how to drive a BARV though only on the beach and not in the water.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Once Chris had kindly posted my pictures I had intended to ask, but forgot, if anyone had identified what the vehicles was that I described as "some kind of plant". Is it a Muirhill or something else? I've always wondered.

Steve.

Steve, There is not much of a view, most of the vehicle being underwater, but it looks a bit like a Fiat Allis.

Regards - David

18 hours ago, CRSCRS said:

Photos of Thr Muir Hill 171 from today. It’s on the process of having different wheels / tyres and has had an updated winch fitted. 

Cheers Chris 

7E5EA8E6-76D6-4D33-B67A-F8452D1B2C3E.jpeg

51872332-52D9-4C39-B10A-3D52DB211678.jpeg

942F3048-DCCC-4671-BF67-9D2EF3F1F06A.jpeg

3D13D9BA-1318-437C-AD17-D5826CEDE107.jpeg

3527186C-52C5-4E2F-BA22-9E799C3EE6EC.jpeg

EF00A551-BA7F-4AB7-A129-FE5364CDAF6F.jpeg

43FD215B-ED53-40FB-9D54-5B036A390B88.jpeg

087131DD-2057-4A9A-94C4-62BE18EF1D20.jpeg

Chris,

Thanks for posting these pictures. I drove this tractor (as well as its sister tractors 01HW87 and 01HW88) for over 5 years. On the one hand it is gratifying to note that after nearly 40 years it hasn't been scrapped, but on the other hand it is saddening to see the state that it now lies in - about the only thing recognisable is the identity plate and the grab rail around the roof of the cab! That lovely Perkins V8 engine looks particularly rough.

I have looked out some more pictures of this tractor and the tractor that was evaluated during the trials. First picture is the bare 171 being delivered for testing on a DROPS rack.

drops171.thumb.jpg.3605573d6c4a50727781ff3347aeb311.jpg

Second picture is the final development of the 171 before production began. The picture shows a much younger me sitting on the tractor at Mullach Mor, the second highest hill on St. Kilda - the brief required that the 171 should be able to do every task performed by the Scammell Explorer which it replaced. The Scammell was capable of hauling a drawbar trailer up to the radar station loaded with 10 tons of hardcore for construction work so the Muir Hill had to be shown to be capable of doing the same or better.

trial171.thumb.jpg.e81b2780b4e9f6044201bed040573142.jpg

Next picture shows a brand spanking new 01HW86 being delivered (01HW88 at the front of the low loader and 86 at the back). In those days all vehicles were delivered by the manufacturer to CVD Ashchurch for acceptance before dispatch to the unit. Compare this picture with yours and you can see how badly the tractor has  had bits removed and deteriorated!

mh171delivery.thumb.jpg.d9e0bf3e17ab7dbdb2f0a2d59ec8a1e3.jpg

The last picture shows 01HW86 working the Landing Craft as it was designed to do.

86working.thumb.jpg.adf67082f2e21da478f0d72d064fd157.jpg

Finally, there is a Youtube video showing 01HW87 working on St. Kilda. I am not very good with links - if you go into Youtube and type in "resupplying st kilda" the video will come up (I am sure that someone on this forum will do the honours and post the link).

Regards - David

19 minutes ago, Scurvey Knave said:

Chris,

Thanks for posting these pictures. I drove this tractor (as well as its sister tractors 01HW87 and 01HW88) for over 5 years. On the one hand it is gratifying to note that after nearly 40 years it hasn't been scrapped, but on the other hand it is saddening to see the state that it now lies in - about the only thing recognisable is the identity plate and the grab rail around the roof of the cab! That lovely Perkins V8 engine looks particularly rough.

I have looked out some more pictures of this tractor and the tractor that was evaluated during the trials. First picture is the bare 171 being delivered for testing on a DROPS rack.

Second picture is the final development of the 171 before production began. The picture shows a much younger me sitting on the tractor at Mullach Mor, the second highest hill on St. Kilda - the brief required that the 171 should be able to do every task performed by the Scammell Explorer which it replaced. The Scammell was capable of hauling a drawbar trailer up to the radar station loaded with 10 tons of hardcore for construction work so the Muir Hill had to be shown to be capable of doing the same or better.

Next picture shows a brand spanking new 01HW86 being delivered (01HW88 at the front of the low loader and 86 at the back). In those days all vehicles were delivered by the manufacturer to CVD Ashchurch for acceptance before dispatch to the unit. Compare this picture with yours and you can see how badly the tractor has  had bits removed and deteriorated!

The last picture shows 01HW86 working the Landing Craft as it was designed to do.

Finally, there is a Youtube video showing 01HW87 working on St. Kilda. I am not very good with links - if you go into Youtube and type in "resupplying st kilda" the video will come up (I am sure that someone on this forum will do the honours and post the link).

Regards - David

YouTube Link

Shame the video stops just before the man carrying trailer leaves the LCT!!!

5 hours ago, Scurvey Knave said:

Chris,

Regards - David

Hi David thanks for the pictures, I will pass them on to the current owner. As you say the tractor has changed a lot but its still here which is the main thing. Wonder where the others ended up. A hard life in the tide no doubt !

Cheers Chris.

17 hours ago, wally dugan said:

AEC militant fv11044 mk3 recovery

I think Wally is correct. It is an AEC, if I remember correctly it was in the early seventies and I collected this prototype from Woolwich Arsenal where had undergone artillery trials. We then had it at FTB for Wading Trials as can be seen here. By this time most new vehicles had most of the waterproofing built in which mostly led to the demise of FTB in 1979. The establishment then became ATTURM.

My memory of driving this vehicle around the South Circular on Michelin X tyres was like steering a jelly.  

27 minutes ago, Keith Sanders said:

I think Wally is correct. It is an AEC, if I remember correctly it was in the early seventies and I collected this prototype from Woolwich Arsenal where had undergone artillery trials. We then had it at FTB for Wading Trials as can be seen here. By this time most new vehicles had most of the waterproofing built in which mostly led to the demise of FTB in 1979. The establishment then became ATTURM.

My memory of driving this vehicle around the South Circular on Michelin X tyres was like steering a jelly.  

No, Martian BURV, beach unarmoured recovery vehicle. Crane is completely different to the AEC the spare sits in more of a recess and AEC does not have a horizontally split screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radiomike7 said:

No, Martian BURV, beach unarmoured recovery vehicle. Crane is completely different to the AEC the spare sits in more of a recess and AEC does not have a horizontally split screen.

Yes, definately not a Mk3 Militant recovery, wrong crane short cab etc..

That must have taken a bit of work to prepare and how successful was it?

OK, its all a long time ago, maybe at 88 years old the memory plays tricks. As a driver I did not do any preparation work. I just drove anything that required moving. I was short of a license for a track laying vehicle so took the test on the road in a 434? I think. It was the one with the Hiab crane. Generally I was involved with BARV, DUKW, Stalwart and Scammell down to Landrover and Austin 1800 staff car. Usually vehicles stayed in the workshop until they were proved capable of driving down a Landing craft ramp and wading ashore. With the Scammell Explorer there was a lowloader trailer with detachable rear wheels for loading. I have forgotten the make. Can anyone help please    

22 hours ago, Keith Sanders said:

OK, its all a long time ago, maybe at 88 years old the memory plays tricks. As a driver I did not do any preparation work. I just drove anything that required moving. I was short of a license for a track laying vehicle so took the test on the road in a 434? I think. It was the one with the Hiab crane. Generally I was involved with BARV, DUKW, Stalwart and Scammell down to Landrover and Austin 1800 staff car. Usually vehicles stayed in the workshop until they were proved capable of driving down a Landing craft ramp and wading ashore. With the Scammell Explorer there was a lowloader trailer with detachable rear wheels for loading. I have forgotten the make. Can anyone help please    

Probably one of these as used with the petrol 20ton Constructors, I seem to remember they were made by Cranes:

sc002473e5.jpg

Edited by radiomike7

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since I posted on the forum but stumbled across this post. I was at my Dads cousins funeral recently and the family had dug out some pictures from when he served in the REME. This included some shots taken in the 60s/70s of wading trials on a LandRover presumably at Instow. I'll try and upload a picture I took. Regards. Ed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

On 3/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, Scurvey Knave said:

Hi Keith,

I got involved in wading trials with MVEE - we originally did a comparison trial between a County Tractor and a Muir Hill 171 for use on the Landing Craft Logistics - decided that the County was too light and done full wading trials on the Muir Hill. It was the most fun that I ever had whilst actually getting paid for it! Attached images show the Muir Hill 171 on beach trials and the vehicle as it entered service (we purchased 3). In order to meet the requirements, Muir Hill had to lengthen the wheelbase to stop the annoying habit of the nose rearing up whilst shunting trailers onto the ship.

Regards - David

yellow171wading1.jpg

yellow171wading2.jpg

green171wading.jpg

My dad was the development manager at Muir Hill and was in charge of provision of this specially adapted 171 to the MOD. We went to St Kilda twice for the initial tests and the wading tests. I have some super 8 film of the tests. I will try to put them on here. 

Keith Trinder 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Keith Trinder said:

My dad was the development manager at Muir Hill and was in charge of provision of this specially adapted 171 to the MOD. We went to St Kilda twice for the initial tests and the wading tests. I have some super 8 film of the tests. I will try to put them on here. 

Keith Trinder 

This is the digitised version of the cine 8 film my dad took at the initial trials and then 2nd trail at St Kilda.

Edited by Keith Trinder
Additional information added
  • Like 1