Breakdown cover recommendations

Tom M

Does anyone have any recommendations for breakdown cover?

I am thinking that I can lessen the feeling of anxiety I get whenever my Jeep engine falters, or refuses to start by getting breakdown cover, and I may actually start to use it more. Up to now I’ve always been able to repair stuff on the roadside, but I don’t think my luck will last forever, and that’s probably also making me reluctant to take it very far.

I generally drive a Jeep & trailer,  but also want to take my Carrier out on the occasional organised road run around Salisbury Plain (weighs less than 3.5t, but can’t really class it as a car!).

Does anyone have any experience of provider’s reactions to military vehicles, good or bad before I go with the RAC or AA?

Many thanks.

Yes! - to my cost - may years ago I had to use recovery for my the GMC and trailer - although there was no quibble regarding the GMC....they would not take my trailer as they didn't have the appropriate hitch for it and it would have required an additional recovery truck as my GMC filled the one they sent - eventually a mate recovered the trailer for me but be aware if you are towing anything - many will not recover the towed item - always check with your insurers - better to ask the question now than when stranded at the roadside - as for which company to recommend - there's no definitive answer - shop around for the best deal - I use Haggerty for my insurance and a separate company for recovery as my current GMC is classed as heavy recovery - i.e. wont go easily on a beavertail !

I use a gang called Autohome, costs £110 per year for my Militant. Thankfully I've never had to call them out, but I know a couple of people that have, and they appear to be very good. When I signed up with them, there were very specific questions about the type of vehicle, size and weight etc, including any regularly towed trailers. Worth giving them a call for a price.  0800 371280

Hi I use Autohome for my Chevrolet C60L and have had no problems apart from the Ben Hur trailer that I tow , The firms they use for the recovery do not have the right tow bars so will not recover the trailer ,. Autohome is limited to £1000 total cost of recovery . For my Morris Commercial C8 GS I have a Flex Plus account with the Nationwide Building Society this gives me free unlimited recovery for my C8 and my 110 Defender and any car I am a passenger in , It also provides recovery for my living van as this has a 50 mm ball hitch even though it weighs around 2 1/2 tons , This account gives me free holiday insurance as well all for £13 a month

4 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

I seem to remember that Jack on this forum had an experience to remember when his GMC was hitched up and towed home backwards, which caused one of the front wheels to come off?

The cause of the wheel coming off was likely because the wheel was running backwards. This is the reason for having left hand and right handed threads on wheel studs, so they should not unscrew when driving forwards.

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:48 PM, Richard Farrant said:

The cause of the wheel coming off was likely because the wheel was running backwards. This is the reason for having left hand and right handed threads on wheel studs, so they should not unscrew when driving forwards.

I've never understood the logic of that.  Why does the thread direction have any effect?

Andy

12 hours ago, andym said:

I've never understood the logic of that.  Why does the thread direction have any effect?

Andy

A left hand side wheel is turning anticlockwise, so with left hand thread wheel nuts tend not to unwind if the wheel loosens. A lot of this is to do with conical wheels nuts and the wheel shuffling if not fully tightened. Obviously same for right hand side with right hand threaded nuts. With the advent of flange type wheel nuts on modern trucks they have returned to all right hand threaded on most trucks. If you towed a vehicle backwards, you have an even chance of loosing a wheel on either side (if not fitted securely).

• Like 1

If you have more than one vehicle on UK roads, military and or civilian then it is wise to have cover that covers you, not the vehicle. The AA do a policy that covers you in any vehicle as driver or passenger, they also will do cover for a month which is ideal if you have a one off event. Be careful of the your vehicles weight in relation to centre of gravity as my Dingo was back loaded recently on an AA recovery truck. This made the centre of gravity of the Dingo much higher and every corner on the ten mile trip  felt like the whole rig might turn over.

The old AA policy was, if no current road fund licence was displayed on the vehicle to be recovered , then it would not be recovered. Not sure the policy now as the road fund disc has been with drawn.

This leads to other questions as some of our vehicles are becoming valuable and expensive to repair, Who is responsible for any damage occurred during recovery? If it is the recovery firm what is the maximum amount of compensation? Just a thought.

Happy Christmas it is just around the corner.

Mick

I use Green Flag for all my vehicles. Have done for years, with all sorts of vehicles.  Never had a problem with anything under 3.5 ton. The good thing about them is the vehicle that picks you up takes you all the way home if required. Most compnaies won't cover a vehicle over 16 years old if it's in Europe anyway. 

I have Green Flag personal cover so any vehicle I'm in wether driving or not, is covered.

They also say if they  don't get there in one hour, you get £10. Thoese who remember The Great Storm, in 1987. I was in the New Forest with a busted Land Rover.  Total caohs on roads , they were apologising that they couldn't get an agent there in an hour, and would compensate me!! The AA and RAC were saying it would days to get to calls.