Matching numbers

Dean Edwards

Question

Hi does anyone know how or if I can find if my jeep hood number M5473422 is the original number to my chassisnumber GPW95468

any help greatly appreciated thanks. Dean

Thanks for all the response.  Will investigate further, and well spotted that man I have seen the picture of the medic jeep in france July 1944

At the moment the jeep has that number on the bonnet(hood) but it is done in I believe airborne livery, I know the jeep came from norway

i believe with that hood number then went into the British army museum for some thirty years with the original paint and the red crosses

when it was purchased from the museum that owner got it road worthy then sold it on,the person I purchased it from and in his wisdom

decided he didn't like the colour and re painted it dark olive drab and airborne numbers on the bumper I'd like to put it back to original if that is the original number if not then I'd like to do something totally different like USA Normandy jeep.  Anyway thanks again for all the response cheers Dean

Edited by Dean Edwards
Add more information

13 answers to this question

There is a very helpful facebook group dealing with this sort of thing - WW2 British Army Jeep Research...I don't particularly like the way FB is taking over from proper forums but it does sometimes succeed at bringing a lot of information together. I'll pass on a link if the mods don't mind.

• Like 1

There is also the website www.britishjeep.com 

I’m not sure but it could be the same people running the facebook page mentioned previously. 

Interestingly enough, a jeep with bonnet number M5473422 is shown on the page. It’s a period photograph taken in Caen in 1944.

https://www.britishjeep.com/jeep-in-ww2.html

Just scroll down and you’ll see it.

The RLC museum have most, if not all the keycards for british used jeeps. They can even do a search using just the chassis number, so who knows, you might get lucky, and your jeep might be the one shown in the picture.

http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleSrch

A word of caution here. The chances of your jeep being the same one in the picture on the british jeep website are infinitesimally small. However, I see no shame in the bonnet number not being original. What you have is after all a survivor, which at the same time is paying tribute to people who, willingly or not, in quite a lot of cases, made the ultimate sacrifice and of those who did not, many carried the trauma to their dying day.

If your bonnet number is original, congratulations. If not, it’s your vehicle, so good luck with the search!

kind regards

Martin

• Like 2

After 30 years of ownership, my Jeep finally sports it's correct 'M' number.   Which is thanks to the research and help from Nick Thomas, which led me to the key cards and he even supplied a photo of a Jeep with a very close number. Mine was part of the post war 'Far East Land Forces' ( demobbed in 59)👍 

The other markings are of course fictitious. Ron

DSCF1009.jpg

Ron 2.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting topic as we have a pair of Ford Jeeps under restoration and the subject of markings British or US occurs from time to time. The Census number on the bonnet/hood M-5157011 is from the range 5155534 to 5158535 contract number QM-11424 if a Ford or QM-11423 if a Willys product, or so the Chilwell list suggests. The B/W casualty evacuation M-5473422 is from Contract SM-2275 as regards all US-Equipment supplied to Norway at the end of hostilities being from US-Surplus not UK is interesting I know of a Jimmy from Norway that carries a plaque stating it was refurbished by Rootes at Kew I believe Ex-UK war stock, sorry no photo to share  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baz48 said:

Interesting topic as we have a pair of Ford Jeeps under restoration and the subject of markings British or US occurs from time to time. The Census number on the bonnet/hood M-5157011 is from the range 5155534 to 5158535 contract number QM-11424 if a Ford or QM-11423 if a Willys product, or so the Chilwell list suggests. The B/W casualty evacuation M-5473422 is from Contract SM-2275 as regards all US-Equipment supplied to Norway at the end of hostilities being from US-Surplus not UK is interesting I know of a Jimmy from Norway that carries a plaque stating it was refurbished by Rootes at Kew I believe Ex-UK war stock, sorry no photo to share  

Hi,

About 30 years ago I was visiting Roy Harris at Atlantic Automotive in Kent where there was a double deck car transporter unloading jeeps that had just come out of Norwegian disposal sales. What was interesting were Rootes of Manchester rebuild plates and also REME ones on them. I cannot recall if there were visible British adaptions, but I recollect radiator blinds and ski racks on them. So it looks like Norway did have some of our surplus jeeps.

• Like 1