weathered - stress paint...how do I..

Jack

Folks - not sure if this can be done or not but......

A part from time and weather - is there anyway to distress or weather my paint work on my GMC, may sound stupid but I would like to have a go at this.

......any help or advise much appreciated.

Cheers

Jack.

Hi Jack,

furniture restorers use wire wool to distress the finish, mixing "gun wash" low standard celly thinners blooms the paint takes the sheen off of it when spaying/ painting. A scotch pad may also help.

Or you could always buy one of our POST WAR vehicles, with that "in service look" :-D

Do American vehicles go out in the rain? :whistle:

From my days of Model making...

Dry brushing would work, just on a larger scale

Choose a shade a tat lighter or darker than your colour, dip in the brush to paint! then get a rag and wipe all the paint off till it does not stain the cloth anymore... then brush all over the area to be treated.. pigment will come off and make it look weathered... i have done to DE-ACT's before to stress them , and it works

black item and silver paint on brush works great!

If you want to create faded blotches. Certain paints will fade in contact with the insides of banana skins after 24 hours. I discovered that by accident. :-(

Spraying WD40 is often used to gloss up a vehicle, but you could utilise the downside. In that shortly afterwards this will become a magnet for general grim & gives a 'lived in' matt grubby finish.

All this is making me feel better, my Bedford has not been painted since the last respray in 1993, it has that aged look now. Just to rejuvenate it, I wash it off and when dry, spray it over with Duck Oil and wipe off. When this has dried off it looks a lot fresher, but downside, as Clive says, it attracts the dust, so I suppose it would give the effect Jack is after. Once you have the dust on there, climb all over the truck, rub it with rag, carry steel beams for Hardypig to knock the paint off the edges and voila!.........a battleworn truck :-D

Thank you brothers!

Duck oil seems to be the way to go as what I am after is an 'established' looking vehicle with out the abuse of it being 'established' ...if you know what I mean :whistle:

I am ok with paint and steel removal as I just need to pop over and see Hardly a pig/ferret :whistle:

Jack I done my Reo with some of that oil that HF gave me in Dover, in looks great for a few days then gets dry and covered for that weathered look try it and it's free from HF, (well for me it was for you...well!!!!)

I am currently technical-editing Armoured Farmer A Tankie's Tale 1975 - 1990 by Malcolm Cleverley (coming soon to all good bookshops blah blah).

In it, he describes putting a regiment of Chieftains through the washdown, a glorified car wash for Chieftains. He describes how the washdown at Barker Barracks, Paderborn had a closed water loop and how after about two tanks had gone through, the rest of the regiment were more sandblasting their tanks than hosing them down, leading to a uniform light brown finish over the top of the Olive Drab / Black cam.