7 LVT Buffaloes!

Pzkpfw-e

wow, last one I remember seeing was one that Bruce Crompton went to Australia to buy. Although I imagine the post-war modifications on this one would be pricey to undo, the bid of $560. seems really low? I mean it's a complete running war time tracked vehicle no?

I would expect many a pacific war museum to be fighting over this model is the one that fought on Saipan

from Wiki

LVT-4 Water Buffalo, British designation Buffalo IV (1943)

FMC modified an LVT-2 in August 1943 by moving the engine forward and adding a large ramp door in the rear,[7] allowing troops to exit from the rear of the vehicle. Capacity went from 16 in the LVT-2 to 30 making earlier LVTs largely obsolete. This innovation also greatly facilitated the loading and unloading of cargo. Some vehicles received armor kits. It was by far the most numerous version of the LVT, with 8,351 units delivered. US Army received 6,083 and British Army 500. Many of the British LVT versions were armed with a 20 mm Polsten cannon and 2 × .30 in (7.62 mm) Browning machine guns.

Since no major changes were made to the engine and transmission of the LVT-2 the LVT-4 was completed much quicker than the LVT-3, with the first machines going into action at Saipan in June 1944.

Edited by draganm

There's one of these for sale - just up the road from me on the Oxford/Gloucestershire borders which is a bit more convenient !

Very rare piece of kit,must be the only fully working one in Europe. A whole different price but it is in fully equipped,restored and swimming condition.

There's one of these for sale - just up the road from me on the Oxford/Gloucestershire borders which is a bit more convenient !

Very rare piece of kit,must be the only fully working one in Europe. A whole different price but it is in fully equipped,restored and swimming condition.

Any ideas how much restoration would cost in terms of man hours and parts? I assume someone would need a restoration budget the size of a small army, and wondering how much the finished/restored version is fetching?

Seems like a great project, hopefully it will not go to a scrapper.

Any ideas how much restoration would cost in terms of man hours and parts? I assume someone would need a restoration budget the size of a small army, and wondering how much the finished/restored version is fetching?

depends on how far you wanted to take it. If the vehicle really did run 6 years ago, then to just get it running again, remove all those rubber bumpers, strip it and paint it in war time colors, could be less than $10K if you got lucky with the mechanicals.

To bring it back to 100% correct war time condition with all the correct little bits and pieces, correct engine, some decommissioned defensive weaponry, gun shields, get the rear doors working and water tight,.......... tens of thousands IMO.

Here, just for fun, at the 32 minute mark is an interesting one in running, war time condition with working ramp

Edited by draganm

this could be the biggest expense to undo, including cost of finding another Continental radial to replace it. While this diesel probably kept the vehicle functional and saved it from the scrap yard, the location and install completely ruins it's authenticity as an amphibious troop landing craft in a historical perspective.

46982_4393337.JPG

The one near me is all together,in the UK and ready to drive/swim away.Its on Milweb at the moment.