Strange jeep

martylee

Can anyone tell me what kind of vehicle this is? Looks russian to me, but what would that do on army property in norway. Might be that we're updating our equipment though... ;-)

width=640 height=480http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/IMG_1691.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/martylee74/IMG_1690.jpg[/img]

Marty

Since I've already managed to place a GAZ under american vehicles I thought I'd try to pull it even further with asking about the GPA copy by GAZ. With that I think of the amphibian post war GAZ made in russia. Can anyone tell me something about the availability of those vehicles? I know I can't afford a GPA, but if there was a lot of these GAZ in eastern europe, it might be intresting to try to track one of them down. Anyone?

Marty

it is either a GAZ 64 or 67 depending on year, couple of small differences in them but cant tell from that distance.

done a lot of work in the former USSR and by all accounts they were pretty crap due to being so gutless and unreliable, still want one though, just to top up collection.

heres a picture close up of a GAZ 64, biggest difference os the front suspension, quarter elleptical on the 64 semi on the 67.

the GAZ amphib jeep is very rare, and quite pricey if you can find one for sale. also piccy attached, taken 60th D-Day

Baz

• 2 weeks later...

It's a post war Gaz 67B. They were made until 1953. The WW2 ones have a slightly different grillle-the later 67B's had a stamped grille much like the MG/GPW.

WW2 Gaz's are very, very, hard to find. I have checked out a few for sale in Russia and the former Sovjet states but they are usually in a horrendous state. The "restored" ones are a mix of parts, Gaz 67 and any other parts they have been able to find. The unrestored are usually just a rusty pile of parts.

As always,

Goran Noren

Are you the same Goran Noren who wrote into Wheels and Tracks in 1991 asking for information on WW2 US Army Chaplin's Jeeps. If so i am still awaiting a reply to the letter i sent you.

I have been checking the post every day for the last 16 years and i have still not had a response. :argh: :argh: :evil:

Tim (too)

Hello Jim,

"Are you the same Goran Noren who wrote into Wheels and Tracks in 1991 asking for information on WW2 US Army Chaplin's Jeeps. If so i am still awaiting a reply to the letter i sent you"

That should be me. I, however, can't for the life of me not remember the letter you're referring to, only 16 years later :?

I'm truly sorry if I missed getting back to you as I should. Why don't you give me the chance to repair for my mistake and present me with your question/questions again?

goran_noren@yahoo.com

I'm still looking for information on Chaplain's vehicles and Chaplain's equipment, BTW.

With kind regards

Goran Noren

Sweden

Ha, my prayers have been answered. Someone else prepared to stand up and admit an interest in the Army Chaplaincy.

Actually i expect that you are a bit suprised that i remember your letter from all those years ago. It is a bit odd really, but i have an unusual ability to remember the unimportant (usually involving military vehicle facts) and forget the very important (wedding anniversary, wifes Birthday etc).

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. But before Jack jumps up and says :offtopic:

maybe this would be a good time to start a new post on the subject, so i shall.

Tim (too)

He's an amateur compared to Jack!! :-D

Steve

Well yes of course, that goes without saying. Jack is a person of many talents, some hidden, actually in fact most hidden. But talented all the same.