WW1 Ford water tanker in CMV

I was just about to comment on this small article in CMV.

'Spotted at Newby Hall', so where is Newby Hall ?

...'restored it to its former glory' Since when was a water tanker is a state of glory, its a utilitarian small truck.

'Apparently found between the French and Belgium borders' How do you get between borders, is there a gap ?

'Previously supply horses and mules had been used to transport the water but as they soon became exhausted or stuck in

the mud, a mechanical solution was found.' A statement that defies an answer but I am sure we all know its bilge...

I have noticed a falling off of journalism in this mag, apart of course of contributors, also pages 12/13 with three photos on a slant....why?

There are other aspects that grate but that is enough for the time being.

I have noticed a falling off of journalism in this mag, apart of course of contributors, also pages 12/13 with three photos on a slant....why?

There are other aspects that grate but that is enough for the time being.

Bob,

Another annoying thing is putting text of an article across a background photo, making it difficult to read.

I agree with the previous comments and am seriously considering cancelling my subscription. Getting fed up with all the little niggles.

The comment about Pete Gaine's Morris ambulance was a good example of the poor research in this magazine. That spurred four or five people to write in and correct them. At the moment "design" seems to be trumping content. Then there's that Kubelwagen in "desert" camouflage etc etc etc

I also seem to recall the editor acknowledging when he was appointed that he knew little about MVs..............

Edited by simon king

Glad its not only me that finds CMV doesn't quite hit the spot both with content and layout

Mind you I am of an age where Wheels and Tracks set the benchmark, and nobody has come close since

Think I took a photo of the Ford at Chatsworth last year, will have to have a look later

I agree with the previous comments and am seriously considering cancelling my subscription. Getting fed up with all the little niggles.

Glad to see it's not just me, with the exception of the normal guest contributors who continue to produce interesting articles the over all aspect of the magazine has changed. I've given it time for the new team to settle in but I'm left with a strange feeling of an external and ill informed view of the movement as a whole, not sure if I'll renew and I have every issue back to No1 :-(

Sorry this moan has hi jacked your thread Tim

Pete

PS and every Wheels and Tracks too:)

'Apparently found between the French and Belgium borders' How do you get between borders, is there a gap ?

Actually there always was a gap of about half a mile between French and Belgian border posts. An odd no-mans's land with obscure jurisdiction and a prevalence of cafés and tobacconists.

Years ago, I visited a café in one of these zones. The toilets comprised a couple of urinals with shields bolted to the side wall of the establishment which had a side access. The other side of the lane was in France. Presumably the locals had a habit of turning round in full flow and mocking the French officials as there was an old enamel sign on the opposite wall which stated - "Il est interdit d'uriner sur la frontière nationale" or something similar.

Which is not to say that I disagree with the comments about the dumbing-down of magazines. I learn more from re-reading thirty-year old back-issues of most of them than from recent editions. It should be easier than ever to research articles but it doesn't seem to happen.

Actually there always was a gap of about half a mile between French and Belgian border posts. An odd no-mans's land with obscure jurisdiction and a prevalence of cafés and tobacconists.

Years ago, I visited a café in one of these zones. The toilets comprised a couple of urinals with shields bolted to the side wall of the establishment which had a side access. The other side of the lane was in France. Presumably the locals had a habit of turning round in full flow and mocking the French officials as there was an old enamel sign on the opposite wall which stated - "Il est interdit d'uriner sur la frontière nationale" or something similar.

Which is not to say that I disagree with the comments about the dumbing-down of magazines. I learn more from re-reading thirty-year old back-issues of most of them than from recent editions. It should be easier than ever to research articles but it doesn't seem to happen.

There may very well be a gap of half a mile between border posts, but in reality surly there is not a 'no mans land' in between countries? Is there a definitive legal answer ? Anyway back to CMV, why is there no adverts via Milweb ? I have internet but not every one has it.

Anyway back to CMV, why is there no adverts via Milweb ? I have internet but not every one has it.

I've wondered that, yet we still get three pages of the thoughts of Nigel Hay, but nothing to show for it.....

Would not a an additional three pages of photographs be better, and not the cock-eyed or twisted ones which appeared in the last edition of CMV.

Time to go back to the ward

Edited by Whittingham warrior

Back to the original thread, The Ford belongs to and was restored from scrap condition by Alan Rogerson from West Yorkshire, If you PM me I can provide his contact number.

Newby Hall is close to Ripon in North Yorkshire, it is a privately owned stately home with superb gardens. It hosts several classic transport and owners club rallies each year as well as other shows.

I agree with the posts regarding CMV, my subscription expires next month and will not be renewed.

Regards

Drewe

More errors in last months CMV 'Maltese Treasure' page 8. "This German field gun has obviously been modified by the Russians with the addition of a Russian barrel" Firstly it is not a field gun it is a Anti-Tank gun and the barrel is a French one of 1897 vintage. BTW the carriage is a PAK40.

Acknowledgments to The Whittingham Warrior for drawing my attention to it.