Overlord - Show report.

Was indeed a nice weekend!

Ithankyou!

Why has everyone missed the Rare! and Oldest Humber Pig! that was there!

Ooops! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Me too, much to my chagrin and see how close our Clive was to the Show Sec caravan. . . . . . .

Not only Clive's very rare Pig but Clive himself, a person we're always glad to see who always lifts as with both the freely given and vast scope of mil info plus his personal tales of this and that which make even a wet weekend huge fun.

Its my belief that not all you post war guys realise what an asset it is to have our Clive in these parts, much appreciated from here I can tell you.

here is My merry group on front of the fine Humber:)

It did need a moments fettling by our Darren of the Striker, 434 and Lux 101 followed by a bucket of amps from my 623 alternator; then all was well again.

I understand Clive had a water emergency at home and sadly had to leave before I had a chance for a protracted session.

Chris PWRR , P Connor , and Tunnellrat

Well, we had some contacts with the PWRR, formerly The Hampshire Regiment. A free-fall drop was scheduled by the PWRR Tigers Team for Sunday but the weather stopped that of course and I find the 2IC of this team is a staunch member of the SBG and spent the weekend wearing a different uniform!

Good stuff, come back and see us next year!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike and i got near to Richard, but he scooted away on his little quad.
Oh dear, that's regrettable but how life is. Shoulda grabbed someone in a hi-vis with a wireless or called into the booking-in tent similarly; of course if its when traders are arriving then its all go and the quad is indispensible for us old farts.

It's only got a 100cc lump but I used almost 2½ galls of fuel and it does become almost like a time machine in that you can almost be everywhere at once and available for fixing stuff.

The usual trick is to take your life in your own hands, just stand in front with an arm out, usually stops me. . . . . . . . . . :-D

Had a chat with R3 and Rosemary, and hung out with Karl and his SAS guys. Big thank you to Richard and his team for an enjoyable show, despite the weather.

We really have to get this R Cubed right don't we; simply ALT+0179 on the numeric kbd so, R³, easy peasy!!! (or you can use the handy format buttons at the top provided by Jack ;-) )

I really appreciate the thanks that Grasshopper and others here have taken the time to record, and I will pass it onto the team and the club in general; you cannot imagine, unless you have been on the other side as it were, how rewarding and fulfilling this is. Thank you for coming along and making a show for us.

Perhaps as probably in the top ten, or even maybe No.1 old fart here I can tell you from experience it is always in your best interests in any walk of life to take a moment to thank people who have done something for you, it goes a lot further than imagined and stands in good stead for later.

The first show of the season has made me realise how little time I have left to get our CVRTs running for Beltring! :shake: Best get my a*** in gear...

Best find some RSN12Y plugs, they'll cure a multitude of problems.

The other option is to remove the two distributor cable flanges, drill out the holes to accept nylon cable sealing bushes like these polyamide ones

http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=WATERPROOF%20CABLE%20GLANDS

and simply use regular plug leads and NGK BP6ES with sealed caps like these:http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/ngk_plug_caps.htm

ahhh, that was you then Mr Connor in Ginges pavillion when me and a few of the lads gate crashed early hours of Sun morning!!!! :-D He didnt seem too impressed with the Warning Ginger alert ring tone!!! oops! :whistle:

My thanks too all involved for making the show enjoyable, it was deffinatley up to your usual high standards, and enjoyed by all, well up until Sun morn. Just next time, sort out better weather!!! :roll: ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant show, loads of toilets which were cleaned FOUR times a day(why can't beltring do the same!), hot showers and great people.

One of our tents blew away sat night and the wind was the worst ive ever seen at a show.

Well done everyone.

Thank you. It makes it all worthwhile.

Brilliant show, loads of toilets which were cleaned FOUR times a day(why can't beltring do the same!), hot showers and great people.

We choose to take the more expensive option of daily on-site toilet attendant + vehicle rather than a single daily service, I see last year's invoice is right next to me here: £302 +VAT/day just for the attendant, well worth it.

Its a fact, line up all manner of fascinating vehicles, tanks and hundreds of stalls but people will remember the toilets first and foremost! Its the MOPs and traders that allow it to happen so we have to consider them too.

Big difference between Beltring and Overlord:

Beltring is a for-profit, commercial business, I have that in writing from the producers.

Overlord is staged and run by 6 un-paid MV enthusiasts from a small, local MV Club.

One of our tents blew away sat night and the wind was the worst ive ever seen at a show.

Yup, one weekend either way and it would have been idyllic, but this is England of course. Met Office reported 50mph in actuallity which is a bit unexpected for May/June and puts it in the F9, gusting F10 bracket; we even had some official and huge army 12 x 12 sledge-hammered pins pull out such was the force.

Well done everyone.

Much appreciated, I will take all these kind comments back to the committee and members, many thanks.

Well done everyone.

Thank you for your kind words of thanks rambo :-).

The show seems to have been very well received and I really do not want to inject a note of controversy but I am consumed with curiosity.

I know that SOE was formed a couple of years ago by a breakaway section of their local MVT and I have heard some pretty lurid tales of why the split occurred. Can anyone give a true account of the reasons behind it (with no names perhaps?)

The show seems to have been very well received and I really do not want to inject a note of controversy but I am consumed with curiosity.

I know that SOE was formed a couple of years ago by a breakaway section of their local MVT and I have heard some pretty lurid tales of why the split occurred. Can anyone give a true account of the reasons behind it (with no names perhaps?)

Yes I can, and at some length with an inch and a half of documentation to support the case since I am one of the three, and the then serving chairman, summarily expelled from the other organisation (I/we may not use the term as defined in writing by their secretary).

However, two things; firstly the original group was dissolved by the national organisation some time before me or the members were informed; there was no intention of a breakaway by me or the members.

Secondly, I defer to Jack, this may not be an appropriate vehicle to make an explanation and Jack may not want the issue publicised herein.

John.

This subject is extremely difficult for me and a hard one to call. I have given this subject deep consideration ever since the MVT went head to head with the Overlord show, as like your good self, there are many who have unanswered questions - after all this is their movement too.

To put this into perspective - this all happened way before I was in the movement so I have no axe to grind either way as like many, I have only had one side of the debate but we are all wise enough to know that there is always two sides to an argument. Breakdown of relationships no matter what they are, be it a business relationship, marriage or friendship can nearly always be traced back to a broken agreement somewhere along the line.

I can fully understand the MVT stance on this and it is only human nature for only one side of the story to be told or discussed in the official magazine of the MVT, the Windscreen. I can also understand why the Editors of the MMI and CMV aren't comfortable with covering the story from both sides - at the end of the day who wants to read about he said, she said - perhaps this is where HMVF can step and fill that gap...

So my conclusion is that the SOE have never been allowed a voice or platform to give their side of the debate. Is this is fair? I think not and if someone of your standing in the movement John is asking for clarification then I am more than happy to oblige - where else is the movement going to have the chance to divide fact from fiction so I say yes lets here the SOE's side of the debate and then we can all draw our own conclusions if we so wish.

Richard N is more than aware of the rules and regulations and they must be abided to at all times - this is not a chance to bash the MVT but a great opportunity to hear the SOE's version - to create a level playing field.

Please note that the MVT would have a right to reply here if they so wished.

Jack.

The toilets are SO bad now that my group hire our own at a cost of £170 for the week.

With the amount of money that war and peace make, you would think that they would provide more toilets and clean them reguarly.

TOILETS are the biggest complaint at war and peace and yet its the same problem every year.

War and peace organisers, TAKE NOTE!!!!!!.

It's not so much the toilets there, as there are much,much more than earlier years, it the dirty buggers that use them that need to be taught again as most seem to have forgotten where to point and where to aim, and that's just No:1's :schocked:

The toilets are SO bad now that my group hire our own at a cost of £170 for the week.

With the amount of money that war and peace make, you would think that they would provide more toilets and clean them reguarly.

TOILETS are the biggest complaint at war and peace and yet its the same problem every year.

War and peace organisers, TAKE NOTE!!!!!!.

This is a thread about the Overlord show, what do W&P toilets have to do with it? :police:

I always camp in the americas field, and when I first started going to W+P there were loads of toilets in the field, they were in blocks of four placed over the field.

The reason that they smell and are dirty is that they don't get cleaned enough for the amount of people using them.

Every year I tell rex the same thing about the toilets and every year the reply is the same, "i'm sorry, we are going to use a different supplier next year and they will be better". but every year they are the same.

When you go to W+P this year, have a look and see how many people hire thier own toilet, it proves the point.

Rant over!

Looks like it is over to you then Richard, (if you want to?)

Yes I will.

It is going to take a little time because I cannot deluge you all with the amount of paperwork but I do need to make an unbiased, unemotive and balanced précis of it with the salient points/statements and ensure leaving stuff out doesn't skew the history.

Joris, my point is that if overlord can get the toilets right, why not W+P?.

sorry if I have hijacked this thread.

Hmmmm, maybe you perhaps need to scroll up a bit and re-read my comments of June 10, Reply 31.

You shouldn't have to provide your own and perhaps, being cynical, it's just what you show-makers are being "encouraged" to do such that one substantial overhead can be contained or converted into some (more) profit.

Back in 2002/3 I had a long exchange with the W&P spi. . . .PR department, it makes interesting reading but this is not the thread for it, I will publish it verbatim if Jack allows and suggests an appropriate section.

Yes I will.

It is going to take a little time because I cannot deluge you all with the amount of paperwork but I do need to make an unbiased, unemotive and balanced précis of it with the salient points/statements and ensure leaving stuff out doesn't skew the history.

Richard, there is no need to take ages to prepare a full case file for the Court of Appeal: just a 'we did this' and 'they did that' will be more than enough to put your side of the story. As Jack said, the MVT will have the right to reply if they wish and you only need to quote evidence if they disagree with anything you say.

I would have thought you would be keen to put the record straight, certainly I would want to put things right if similar rumours were circulating about something I had done/was supposed to have done?

Richard, there is no need to take ages to prepare a full case file for the Court of Appeal: just a 'we did this' and 'they did that' will be more than enough to put your side of the story. As Jack said, the MVT will have the right to reply if they wish and you only need to quote evidence if they disagree with anything you say.

I would have thought you would be keen to put the record straight, certainly I would want to put things right if similar rumours were circulating about something I had done/was supposed to have done?

Certainly, however, I will still draft and refine the points and events from the documents here to make an accurate and concise précis. It is not quite so simple as you might imagine.

Secondly, I am almost overloaded with work just at present, having two formal jobs, so some prioritising will have to be done I'm afraid, however, it is not on the back burner.

I would have thought you could have given the bare bones of your version of what happened in a post about as long as the last one you posted saying that you needed more time?

Am I being fobbed off and/or do you wish I had never raised the query in the first place? If so then I wonder why you replied on 11 June, offering to explain?

I do hope you will put out your version of events as soon as possible but if you choose to leave the rumours unanswered or do not find the time then so be it: no one can force you to counter the rumours if you choose not to. If that were the case then I presume people will draw whatever conclusions they wish and my curiosity will have to remain unsatisfied (which in the great scheme of things is hardly a major occurance.)

I would have thought you could have given the bare bones of your version of what happened in a post about as long as the last one you posted saying that you needed more time?

Am I being fobbed off and/or do you wish I had never raised the query in the first place? If so then I wonder why you replied on 11 June, offering to explain?

I do hope you will put out your version of events as soon as possible but if you choose to leave the rumours unanswered or do not find the time then so be it: no one can force you to counter the rumours if you choose not to. If that were the case then I presume people will draw whatever conclusions they wish and my curiosity will have to remain unsatisfied (which in the great scheme of things is hardly a major occurance.)

Dear Mr. Pearson,

Please note that I will not be goaded into an impromptu response with fallacious and facetious comments that frankly sound much like the paper communications from some members of a certain CoM, but under different names.

Please also note I have been obliged to respond to your denigrating post at a little after 05:30, such are the other pressures curently extant.

I am much obliged for your consideration and patience concerning events of nearly four years ago.

I assure you that John Pearson is my real name, I have never posted anything on the Internet or written under any assumed nom de plume and I am certainly not a member of any organisation Council of Management except for the Friends of the Tank Museum.

Quite frankly, I could not give a toss if you explain or not: my original query was just one of casual curiosity because the rumours seemed so incredible. You then replied to my post, offered to explain and have then, to date, not done so. If you had not offered then my query would have got nowhere. I have no cause to disbelieve your reasons for not explaining but I am sure that some people will have been made more suspicious by your posts and some might even have been convinced that your group does have something to hide and that the rumours have a basis of truth.

I will look back at this thread occasionally to see if anything appears but can see little point in making further posts until it does.

The stage is yours.