Scammell Pioneer Restoration

I'm almost done with the re-wire. The diagram in the manual is wrong, so i re-drew it and got a bit of help from PhilB on wire sizes and recommended a couple useful additions which i've discreetly added. Have also included indicators, can't be too safe these day with something so slow. I wanted to run the wiring in the same bitumen coated sleeving that the Jeep wiring came in because i thought it looked period correct and far better than the modern plastic alternatives. There are suppliers of it in this country but only upto a certain size and i needed some bigger stuff. Only place i could find it was in the USA and they wouldn't send to the UK, so i got it sent to my auntys in WV and she sent it on, took a while but it got here eventually.

I had the original headlight and sidelight reflectors re-silvered. One of the sidelights was missing its terminations, so i made up the clamp that goes round the body of the bulb holder in brass and also a female receptacle a hollow bullet connector on the back of the reflector and soldered it on.

I came up with a rather elaborate set of clips to suspend the battery clamps from the cab floor.

I also had to make some of the brass P clips myself where weren't standard ones that fitted, and on the bulkhead the original holes were so close to the cab frame i had to come up with a cut down P clip to make it work. Really pleased with how its all turned out.

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2677 (2).JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

• Like 6

This week my brother and i blasted and primed all the bits for the crane winch, so thats the next thing to start going back together. That said after we had packed all the blasting kit away, Tim found the sheet metal cover that goes round the worm wheel, i'd completly forgotten about it, but it needs a few minor weld repairs anyway.

I also recently blasted and primed the seat frames, wings and their brackets, so next job is to put them back together, a bit of filler and finish paint.

After much deliberating i've decided that i can't face blasting the frame work for the rear body myself. Its just massive and i'd only need it to start raining half way through and i'd really loose my rag! lol. So that is going off soon to a professional local blasting outfit. I guess thats the last major bit to be started on.

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I did wonder as there was a Pioneer parked next to my Brothers truck that was in a part restored state and at a similar stage to yours.

Keep up the good work, hopefully we will have our Commer finished for next years show too.

21 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

I did wonder as there was a Pioneer parked next to my Brothers truck that was in a part restored state and at a similar stage to yours.

Keep up the good work, hopefully we will have our Commer finished for next years show too.

Yes that was Simon Duff's tank transporter.

I didn't know you were coming, should have made yourself known. Trouble with the user names that we all adopt on here, you don't then know what someone's real name is. 

Who is your brother then?

Richard

Edited by Scammell4199

On 7/18/2021 at 10:14 AM, 70HONEYMONSTER said:

Can you send me a copy of the wiring diagram that you have just now , I am at the stage of wiring and any help would be much appreciated , 

Regards

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Give me a few days to check its up to date with any tweaks i made as i was installing the wiring and i'll post it here.

All the best. Richard

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

I was looking at your wiring diagram and photos. In the photo that shows the dash , on the far side under the control box there seems to be an additional fuse box but this does not seem to appear on the wiring diagram? Also what are the benefits of running the ground back to the buzz bar and not grounded on the chassis or body work. Does this not mean that there will be a fair amount of earth wires arriving at the buzz bar? My wiring knowledge  is not the greatest so sorry for the questions

Regards 

Bryan

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Bryan, i hadn't noticed your post until now.

Not sure what you're referring to. The unit under the control box on the diagram is the generator.

To ground all your lights etc to bodywork means all parts of the vehicle need to be electrically grounded to one another to make the circuit, hence why american vehicles like the Jeep have lots of grounding straps. This can sometimes be a source of problems when lights don't work as its difficult to locate where the circuit is broken. If you run everything back to the fusebox it makes things easier. There is a fair bit coming back to the fusebox but it works.

Hope that helps. Richard

Bryan, i've just re-read your post, and realised you said on the photo there appears to be another box under the control box. Not sure what you're referring to. Theres some loose wires sticking up but those are the ones that go to the generator just hadn't been connected at that stage. If you're still struggling PM me and i'll give you my number we can chat on the phone, that would be much easier.

Good luck. Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry my mistake. What I thought was an additional fuse box is actually the bottom of the control box. I may take take you you up on a chat over the phone when I get to nearer to completion . Just in the process of gathering all the wiring ,lights  and switches together.

Once again sorry for the confusion

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Bit more progress on the Scammell.

Recently had the back body frame blasted and primed, then it came back to us for top coat and we've started painting and assembling the woodwork.

Also got the crane winch all back together.

I also bought new ally number plates so she's starting to get her identity back.

IMG_0192.JPEG

IMG_0257.JPEG

IMG_0264.JPEG

IMG_0265.JPEG

IMG_0270.JPEG

IMG_0371.JPEG

Edited by Scammell4199
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

Is the back body frame brush or spray painted?

All sprayed. Theres a few nooks and crannies i'm going to have to do with a brush.

21 hours ago, Niels v said:

Richard, can you take some pictures of the construction of the underbody box 

I'll try to remember to get some this weekend. The sides and floor you see here are all new and we have all original top for it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...