Scammell Pioneer Restoration

I've been giving some thought to how i'm going to lift the rear body onto the vehicle, and interested in how others have done it. I thought about lifting it with a forklift under each side and reversing the vehicle in under, but think it might be a bit dodgy and i'd have to do all the manouvering rather than watching and guiding it into position.

I'd like to get a mobile crane in so it can be hoisted straight down, but not sure where to sling it so as not to damage paintwork. Thought about slinging it round the roller that the jib slides on and round the winch drum. Thoughts?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 67burwood said:

Do you have extended forks for the fork lift? Would it be possible to support the rear body with slings from the rear and guide it on? Not sure on the counter balance 🤔

No i don't have extended forks and I don't think lifting it with one forklift from behind would work anyway. Slinging points are difficult to find now that the floor is bolted down, thats why i thought the jib top roller and the winch drum would be good candidates.

If i lift it with a forklift under each side, it will be within about 6 inches of the tips of the forks so not much margin for error.

19 minutes ago, Scammell4199 said:

No i don't have extended forks and I don't think lifting it with one forklift from behind would work anyway. Slinging points are difficult to find now that the floor is bolted down, thats why i thought the jib top roller and the winch drum would be good candidates.

If i lift it with a forklift under each side, it will be within about 6 inches of the tips of the forks so not much margin for error.

Would a telehandler work with slings attached to the jib top roller and winch drum? Or Hiab ?

I lifted it off with a telehandler as you'll see on the first page of my thread, but that was when it was just the framework so an abundance of slinging points and i wasn't worried about messing up my paint job. Also to get it on without knocking it or the vehicle i like the idea of using a mobile crane because it can hoist straight down whereas with a telehandler of hiab crane you have to use a combination of movements to go straight down. Plus its a fairly tight squeeze getting the front legs down between the main winch and back of the cab. 

If i can satisfy myself that the jib top roller and winch drum are suitable slinging points i think thats what we'll do. I have a local crane hire company in mind who have a small mobile on a 7.5 tonner chassis so should be fairly cheap, but in the interests of keeping things military has anyone local to yeovil got a foden EKA or a militant?

Having the body swinging from a crane will make lining the bolts up a lot easier than having to get it in exactly the right place with a forklift or telehandler. The crane we used to remove the Explorer body had a weight indicator that showed just over 2 tons, the Pioneer one should be slightly lighter due to the manual lifting winch.

22 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Having the body swinging from a crane will make lining the bolts up a lot easier than having to get it in exactly the right place with a forklift or telehandler. The crane we used to remove the Explorer body had a weight indicator that showed just over 2 tons, the Pioneer one should be slightly lighter due to the manual lifting winch.

Yeah thats what i'm thinking. I'd reckoned on about 1.5 tons. It won't have the sliding jib in when its lifted cos we'll be using the roller as a slinging point.

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update.

We're nearly there with the back body. I'm going to leave it until its on the vehicle to install the drop down doors, just so i can make space in the workshop soon as poss.

Spent the weekend making up the lids for the lockers. I couldn't find hinges the same as the original or even anything that i could modify to look like the original so made some from scratch. That was a time consuming task.

In in the interests to getting the finish line as quickly as possible now that its in sight and problems with my big compressor, i'm getting the last bits of blasting done commercially, and have a batch of small bits for the back body i'm going to drop off this week. 

I've been put onto a local chap with a Foden EKA, so i'm hoping i can get him to come and lift the body on.

IMG_1317.JPEG

IMG_1323.JPEG

IMG_1326.JPEG

IMG_1327.JPEG

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Morning all,

Its been a while since i updated this. There has been lots of work going on in the background, its all the little jobs that take the time. Windscreen is glazed now just waiting final paint before install. I've got various small fittings in manufacture at the moment. 

Main focus has been the back body, which we fitted at the weekend in its nearly complete state along with the sliding jib section, with help from Matt Slade and his Foden EKA. We'll finish off the rest of the body in-situ. Very pleased with this progress and nearly looking OMG2024 ready :).

With the body on i trial fitted the rear mudguards and that showed that the mudguard brackets are bent so they've come off for repairs. 

I'm still in need of a brake pedal return spring if anyone has one going begging??

Richard

EPWX9883.JPG

NDOB3445.JPG

QTML2208.JPG

RRQO3291.JPG

SOCE2312.JPG

• Like 9