A new truck coming my way, a 1943 Morris Commercial C8 GS,

svdwal

Hello all,

Just a message to show my happiness.

This Saturday i will be collecting my new acquisition, a 1943 Morris Commercial C8 GS.

Very happy I found this partly restored truck, and I hope to have it on the road quite soon but first I will have a thorough inspection to see what have to be done. Most of the transmission and the engine is restored, and only the brakes have to be done and the radiator is leaking.

When I bought the truck last week we couldn’t find any serious issues, only a lot of cosmetic work to get it right.

So, something to look out for!

Rgds.

Sjoerd van de Wal

Hello all,

I do have a picture online from when the last owner bought the truck some years ago, since then not much has changed on it's appearance. sorry for the small image, i will add some more pictures after i've

Morris 008.jpg

sorry for the small image, i will add some more pictures after i've collected the truck.

For the year of manufacture, i've learned from the current owner that it is a 1943.

It has different style doors, as can be seen in the second picture.

Maybe someone can shine a light on this issue, as indeed i know that (at least most) where manufactured from 1944.

And i shall look for issue 30 of Wheels and Track, o someone has an issue that he would sell then please contact me.

Kind regards,

Sjoerd van de Wal

Morris 052.jpg

Luckily i have the maintanance manual and the drivers handbook, but thanks for mentioning.

Yesterday i have collected the truck and brought it to someone i know who will sort the mechanical and electrical stuff out and make it all in order so we can get it road legal. I decided to lett this be done and only do the cosmetical work myself as i do not have the time at the moment because we are expecting a baby in some weeks time. And that has definatly top priority over all the restoration projects.

But as we would like to drive this truck in all the remembrance festivities that are coming up this year and next year we made this decision.

Here are some pictures, more will follow as soon as i got them from my phone....

trailer.jpg

Rgds.

Sjoerd

ophalen.jpg

motor.jpg

Thank you Ivor,

Truck is marked on the other side as free Polish. But i doubt that this is correct for this truck.

482470_537246379703901_1727150540_n.jpg

It is unknown what the wartime history is of this truck, all i know is that is was sold off in Belgium after the war by the British and that is was used as a tow truck til late 1970s. after that is was given this green paint and markings.

I will restore the truck probably as 30 corps or a 1st Armoured. not quite sure what.

First we got a lot of work to do to get the truck in a more presentable way.

Wiring needs sorting and also a lot of tidying up underneath needs to be done, and after that a lot of cosmetic work lays ahead.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

Thank you Danny,

I've got a good life at the moment, everything is going the way i want.

As you can see it's not going to be an Bedford, but we found this lovely truck and both decided that this should be the one. Restoration will probably take some time, as being a father will have more priority.

But steadily we will restore this vehicle in its former glory.

Rgds,

Sjoerd

• 6 months later...

Yesterday i visited the workshop of my friend again after some months with other priorities.

Becoming a father takes some more time than expected :-)

I managed to find all the parts i needed on War and Peace such as al the rubber parts for the brake system and hoses.

So i brought them to the workshop and collected the radiator so it can be reworked. At this moment it is very leaky.

Some other work since than has been done, wiring starts to get sorted out.

Also we have a view of important work that needs to be done before it can get it's license plates.

Fuel system and electrical system will be completely renewed, and the brakes will be completely overhauled.

Also we will get the wire brushes out and clean the whole underside of the truck and give it a good layer of iron oxide paint and a nice layer of British Olive Drab. This is the colour it had when it left the factory, we found several spots with this colour.

After that the whole truck will be painted in British Olive Drab.

The only thing we are still searching for is the canvas....

Hopefully it will be on the road anywhere around October.

Some pictures:

10527330_635735443188327_7933123623828938098_n.jpg

10523726_635735539854984_4396538409857952872_n.jpg

10469216_635762896518915_3416107732497402013_n.jpg

Rgds.

Sjoerd

No Prinses Irene Brigade, they did not use these trucks.

Eventually it will be painted up as Coldstream guards, but first a lot of work to be done.

First the mechanical work needs to be done and the electrical work.

After that the truck can be officialy imported in the Netherlands and it will be road legal.

Then we start the cosmetic restauration.

Hopefully it will be presentable on the 9th of may next year.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

I will keep you informed,

The markings will be the ever open eye.

Brought the radiator to a company the have the core replaced.

There were some leaks and i decided that if the radiator is to made anyway that we could do with a new core to improve the cooling abilities and to know for sure that nothing is wrong with it.

Cost some money, but is well worth it.

10612579_637969856298219_2705165300643514991_n.jpg

10606090_637969886298216_3197793865979918618_n.jpg

10593039_636112009817337_434704438394633834_n.jpg

Original data plate, this will be replaced on the new core.

Keep you informed, now there will be some work on the Autovac system.

Got new components in the post at the moment, hopefully they will arrive soon.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

• 1 month later...

Some time since last update, but the radiator is as new.

The old core indeed was completly gone, so replacing this was no luxury.

All wiring have been removed and new period correct looking wire have been found, so a new cable beam will be made up.

Steering wheel has been gone to someone who will fill all the cracks in it so it will be useable and looking good again.

At the moment doing a search for the correct later war British Olive Drab paint, this is the colour we finally found underneath several layers of paint that we've found on the truck.

Slowly there is being worked to the moment of having it on the road again and the start of the cosmetic work.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

As far as paint goes my local Dulux Coluor centre is ideal. I don't know if you have a similar srvice wher eyou are. They can match the colour perfectly from even a small scrap, right down to fading if required. I find Dulux metal paint to be ideal both in quality and cost compared to dedicated vehicle paint. You can only get it here in a semi matt finish, but that does make it easier to clean.

• 9 months later...

Hello all,

It has been a long time since i last gave an update about the restoration of my Morris Commercial C8.

In the mean time we have finished all mechanical and electrical work, replaced rotten wooden sections, changed tyres and done the painting.

Truck is now ready to be examined bij the authorities to get it on the road again.

This examination will be next friday, so hopefully it will be found in order and we finally can get driving.

The truck will be at War and Peace this year, alltough not completly finished yet.

See pictures underneath for a impression.

11181732_786577018104168_6608344667279965235_n1.jpg

First testdrive with my wife and son (incl. support bunny).

11240486_793682250726978_1708297952135604466_n.jpg

Side view and name of the Truck (Myrtle)

11694981_794239194004617_7061096742315210753_n1.jpg

Insignia finished.

Rgds.

Sjoerd van de Wal