Wheeled Tractor Heavy Industrial Massey 2203

Totally off topic but I remember being sent to Ripley in a rush on a Saturday afternoon with the instructions of "The gate is shut but not locked. Find the Massey 22 and the parts you need are wrapped in a rag under the seat. Make sure the cab door is shut and just snap the lock on the gate when you leave". Sure that wouldn't happen today - Good times!

Surprisingly exactly the same thing happened to me only a couple of years ago. local JCB dealer didn't have urgently needed parts so it meant a 3 hour trip to get them. Parts were left hidden and instructions to lock gate on leaving. that was unbeatable service as we weren't regular customers of the dealer, just shows some of the good guy's are still out there.:D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne, there is still quite a demand for the industrial loaders on stock farms. They will still make good money if in decent running condition, good bucket for muck handling and change for a double bale spike for handling silage bales.

Seems odd to be labelled as HEAVY.

When you compare to the Earthmoving or large plant vehicles from the 70s - 80s.

Light Wheeled tractor would equate to a JCB size of machine.

Medium Wheeled tractor would be an Allis Chalmers, Terex or Volvo 4400 about 16 tons

and A Heavy Wheeled Tractor would be a Michigan 275 or Terex 7271

Seems odd to be labelled as HEAVY.

When you compare to the Earthmoving or large plant vehicles from the 70s - 80s.

Light Wheeled tractor would equate to a JCB size of machine.

Medium Wheeled tractor would be an Allis Chalmers, Terex or Volvo 4400 about 16 tons

and A Heavy Wheeled Tractor would be a Michigan 275 or Terex 7271

Hi Bryan,

I see where you are coming from and I am very familiar with the examples you quote but they were "tractor, wheeled, medium (or heavy), earthmoving" . I am quoting the official nomenclature list of tractors for general duties without loaders or back caters. The 2203 would be heavy when compared to Lister, Lansing Bagnall or FMW

It does seem abit strange but that is Ministry classification for you. In actual fact all the M F digger/ loaders were considerably lighter than other manufacturers equivalents which made them very popular with farmers as they caused less damage to wet ground.

It does seem abit strange but that is Ministry classification for you. In actual fact all the M F digger/ loaders were considerably lighter than other manufacturers equivalents which made them very popular with farmers as they caused less damage to wet ground.

This particular machine is classified as a basic tractor, not a loader or digger. If you saw the inventory of equipment at the time it would make sense. The other version supplied to the army (see post 6) was the fork lift and that was classified as Ultra-Light, which if stood against the Michigan 75 would make sense.

This particular machine is classified as a basic tractor, not a loader or digger. If you saw the inventory of equipment at the time it would make sense. The other version supplied to the army (see post 6) was the fork lift and that was classified as Ultra-Light, which if stood against the Michigan 75 would make sense.

I had one of these and still have a manual here somewhere, I found it very difficult to get one at the time however.

I will look it out if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the girl running after being sat in the field for a year.....

Video to follow.

However some other pics so you guys can help me define if she was a rear forklift or front loader forklift.

Looking at the bracket underneath at the front and also the supports for the roll cage I suspect she was a front loader with forks..... ???

Oh and of course a Happy New Year to all forum friends ;)

20131228_101832_zpscd69d8b3.jpg

Side view of engine showing the AD3.152 Perkins plate that Richard was accurate on.

sideofenginewithtypeplate_zpsdb4dfc7c.jpg

Rear view of three point linkage and PTO set up.

rearoftractorwith3pointandpto_zpsbd2f2a3c.jpg

Any ideas guys on the light switch set up on an Army tractor.

A standard Massey of this era would have the egg shape switch, but the orifices in the dash appear to suit something different.

Any ideas folks???

20131228_083536_zpscb84df48.jpg

Thanks

Re. "but an odd roll / protection cage that may not be original?"

We had a Petrol paraffin 35 at work (from new) that had a loader fitted. At the time the owners ran an orchard and after a large stump bounced from the muck fork onto the bonnet above the grill then onto the steering wheel before missing the driver.... the tractor was fitted with a very similar roll cage. slight diff. mountings (front legs onto a channel that ran under the g/box) There was a plate riveted to off side rear brace plate stating for mf35 and mf35x plus other details etc.

Gerry

Re. "but an odd roll / protection cage that may not be original?"

We had a Petrol paraffin 35 at work (from new) that had a loader fitted. At the time the owners ran an orchard and after a large stump bounced from the muck fork onto the bonnet above the grill then onto the steering wheel before missing the driver.... the tractor was fitted with a very similar roll cage. slight diff. mountings (front legs onto a channel that ran under the g/box) There was a plate riveted to off side rear brace plate stating for mf35 and mf35x plus other details etc.

Gerry

Gerry thanks and that accords with a note from Richard Farrant. He has advised it was an Exmoor cage and used for such work where something a little more slender was required such as orchards and hop farms etc.

Your note, further confirms this, albeit the farm it was purchased from does not farm such products now. However I can ask the current owners as the farm is still in family hands since the Father passed away some years back.

The last thing it did I believe was running a 'Slurry' pump ?????

Cheers

Any ideas guys on the light switch set up on an Army tractor.

A standard Massey of this era would have the egg shape switch, but the orifices in the dash appear to suit something different.

Any ideas folks???

20131228_083536_zpscb84df48.jpg

Thanks

Blanking plate missing. Light switch goes on top of dash. One query answered and thanks to Tim @ May Hill Tractors near Longhope.

Guys

Any ideas on these rear rims please or axle as they are not MF135, which shares some parts etc.

tractor001_zps71d608f7.jpg

Wheel PCD's are much larger than normal MF/ David Brown wheels.

tractor002_zps255a653d.jpg

20131220_120808_zpsfcf1c77e.jpg

Also I now know it's registration 01FV05 dates back to 68/69 and that the farmer bought it direct out of logistics at Ashchurch. So officially I am the second owner after the MOD.

Always grateful for assistance.

Guys

Any ideas on these rear rims please or axle as they are not MF135, which shares some parts etc.

tractor001_zps71d608f7.jpg

tractor002_zps255a653d.jpg

20131220_120808_zpsfcf1c77e.jpg

Also I now know it's registration 01FV05 dates back to 68/69 and that the farmer bought it direct out of logistics at Ashchurch. So officially I am the second owner after the MOD.

Those brackets welded on the rims are for Bettison Dual Cage wheels which make me think they came from an Ag, tractor.

Guys

Hi Wayne,

I have a feeling your tractor has a MF165 rear axle, to me it looks like it has inboard disc brakes, and the part number on the axle housing tallies with a 165. That being so your wheels will be a larger PCD on the studs. Industrials were often beefed up in this manner. They are not ordinary 135's with different bonnet and colour scheme!

regards, Richard

Those brackets welded on the rims are for Bettison Dual Cage wheels which make me think they came from an Ag, tractor.

Thank you Snort. They have some writing on there so I am trying to make it out... Thinks its MQ?????????

Cheers

Hi Wayne,

I have a feeling your tractor has a MF165 rear axle, to me it looks like it has inboard disc brakes, and the part number on the axle housing tallies with a 165. That being so your wheels will be a larger PCD on the studs. Industrials were often beefed up in this manner. They are not ordinary 135's with different bonnet and colour scheme!

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard I did think perhaps the rear axle was from a heavier / stronger MF tractor, but wasn't 100% as the images or the net are cot conclusive about these things.

I do take your point about the MF135, but a lot of the tin and dials and the engine was where I sorta was coming from.

Finding a manual for this will be the next bit of fun.

I do have a 135 / 148 service manual, so that's a start. I will have to fill in the other parts with perhaps 165 info and the like.

All good fun though :)

She will look better with some green paint. New lights and the Exmoor cage removed though.

Thanks Richard I did think perhaps the rear axle was from a heavier / stronger MF tractor, but wasn't 100% as the images or the net are cot conclusive about these things.

I do take your point about the MF135, but a lot of the tin and dials and the engine was where I sorta was coming from.

Finding a manual for this will be the next bit of fun.

I do have a 135 / 148 service manual, so that's a start. I will have to fill in the other parts with perhaps 165 info and the like.

All good fun though :)

She will look better with some green paint. New lights and the Exmoor cage removed though.

Hi Wayne,

I can see that the axle trumpet housings have an intermediate plate where the flange bolts to the centre housing, this is because they had inboard disc brakes. Early disc brakes were dry and suffer from oil leaking in to them, so later ones were redesigned to run wet, ie in oil. You will see the brake linkage going into the axle where it meets the centre housing. The 135 had normal drum and shoe brakes behind the wheel.

regards, Richard

It is now believed that these wheels were standard on the MF20 industrials and that the lugs are MOLCON and were brazed on for other wheels or attachments.

PtojectTrent9131041_zps8abde54e.jpg

PtojectTrent9131042_zps7cfd8d00.jpg

The 2203 has wet brakes Richard as you say that makes it different to the 135, but more in keeping with a 65/165 model??

The part numbers are shown on the axle casing, so if anyone can confirm this please as I don't have those parts books.

PtojectTrent9131046_zps09c57616.jpg

Originally power steering would have been fitted and I now know what is believed to be the steering pump

PtojectTrent9131064_zps881ab431.jpg

The army vehicle data plate is all a little more visible now

PtojectTrent9131062_zps92c74b4d.jpg

PtojectTrent9131061_zps96c7b046.jpg

Does anyone know what the picture shows next as it looks like a lever is missing from a splined rod / linkage on the rear axle

PtojectTrent9131054_zps2d4f5828.jpg

I'll take a chance and say there would be a lever on that shaft for the hand operated diff lock but I can't imagine why it would have had a hand lever and not a pedal. Although as previous I could be wrong...

According to my Operator Manual for the MF 2203 it is a hand operated Diff lock, push forward to lock it.

Thank you Snort. They have some writing on there so I am trying to make it out... Thinks its MQ?????????

Cheers

These brackets are a common part sold by numerous manufactures and were welded on to suit the cages. I can find a picture of cage wheels somewhere if you are not familiar with them.