Wheeled Tractor Heavy Industrial Massey 2203

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what info you're after...

Predecessor to the MF40, Perkins 3D152A engine, 3+R x2 manual or 4 speed 'instant reverse' gearbox. Loader and backactor (if fitted) run on a fully independant double acting hydraulic system driven by a front mounted pump. If the backactor is not fitted then the standard agricultural towing point, 3point cat 1 single acting lift system with top link sensing, trailer tipping adaptor and 540 pto can be utilised but often the lower links and tow hitch are missing (identical to MF 35 / 135 so not too difficult to obtain). Front tyres are 7.50x16 8 ply, rears are 14x24 industrial. Early types did not have self leveling front bucket or double jointed wrist on rear bucket. Power assisted steering. Independent drum brakes on rear.

Hope that helps.

Some definately had a backplate and forks on the loader, with a counterweight on the back.

If you do a google pic search for 203 as well as 2203 there's one shown with forks.

If there's no front loader, they could be fitted with a rear mounted vertical mast type arrangement.

Edited by Hair Bear

There were two versions of MF2203 supplied to the Army:

NSN 2420-99-808-2220 Code No. 7748.3225 Tractor, Wheeled, Fork Lift, Ultra Light

NSN 2420-99-808-2221 Code No. 7734.3225 Tractor, Wheeled, Industrial, Heavy

I have a feeling that the fork lift version may have been fitted with a Cameron Gardner rear mounted fork lift.

Thanks Guys.

I attach an image with its loader missing, but an odd roll / protection cage that may not be original?

20131220_120808_zpsfcf1c77e.jpg

Also a not so good image of its plate.

20131220_120508_zpsce017295.jpg

20131220_120206_zpsb6c3ecdf.jpg

20131220_120213_zps875ab4e4.jpg

20131220_120108_zpsf25b56aa.jpg

You can just make out the spare seat and probably original that was DBG.

20131220_120629_zps7f3a5394.jpg

Richard

I have seen a couple of pictures for the Rear forklift MF203, but the front ends are different. Namely grille and light positions

I found an old picture on an ex-services page that had the front loader arms and forks, but looks like an older Massey 35 type tractor.

The images with the rear mast look intriguing and I wonder what this little Fergie I have spotted had originally. Looking where the roll cage is bolted at the front looks a lot like the front loader mounting plate position I have seen on an old 35 on the local farm.

20131220_120741_zps34cf5ef8.jpg

Interesting critter. From what I can see - P3, manual gbox, loader subframe completely missing if it ever had one. The front wheels look to be standard 135 pressings, I would expect a solid disc centre if the industrial loader was fitted and they also appear to be inside out. I don't see any power steering rams, should be attached to the top of the kingpins, so check the steering box for exesive wear. It's worth having a look to see if there's a Dowty hydraulic pump in front of the rad. It would be attached to a shaft driven off the front pulley (makes it a pig to change a fan belt!). If that isn't there then it may have never been a loader. Love to know what's on the other end of those hydraulic pipes, do you have a view of the rear?

As an industrialised ag tractor the rear hydraulics are all self contained within the rear casting and were totally separate from the industrial loader system so if the Dowty pump at the front is missing - don't panic.

They originally had a 2 stage clutch, as you depress the pedal it first disconnects the drive to the gearbox to stop forward motion. Further down the travel it then disconnects the drive to the pto and internal hydraulic pump. This means the hydraulics and pto continue to work if you only push down so far and the bite point can be close to the top of travel. If it's had a cheap clutch change it may have had a single plate fitted but I wouldn't worry too much.

The frame looks to be a generic ROPS cage to stop it going completely upside down should it fall over. There are many versions of these out there.

The rear fork lift fitted to the 3 point linkage and was popular in orchards for loading apple boxes.

Yes, the cage mounting is where the Mil loader fits on the 35/135. The 203 had a complete extra subframe fitted from the casting around the rad to right under the back axle.

Rob.

Edited by Hair Bear

Hi Wayne,

I did my apprenticeship and early working life at a Massey Ferguson main dealer, so quite up on these and also worked on MF when I was later employed by the army. I think looking at your data plate that the one shown was a basic tractor, we used to get a lot of various models come in. I know a chap who deals in small Fergies and he has an ex-army 35 and two TE20's, one diesel and the other a TVO engine. They were used for general duties, like ground work around depots, etc.

The cab frame is an Exmoor, and likely fitted by a private owner.

regards, Richard

Wow that's useful and a bit for me to check out. I thought I took a rear picture as it does have a 3 point linkage and PTO.

There is also a hydraulics hose for something.

Really appreciate the information.

Given that this has been on this farm for about 30 odd years I suspect it has had some mods over time...

I will upload some more pictures over the next few non festive days when we attend to the Neds.....

Thanks very much.

Hi Wayne,

I did my apprenticeship and early working life at a Massey Ferguson main dealer, so quite up on these and also worked on MF when I was later employed by the army. I think looking at your data plate that the one shown was a basic tractor, we used to get a lot of various models come in. I know a chap who deals in small Fergies and he has an ex-army 35 and two TE20's, one diesel and the other a TVO engine. They were used for general duties, like ground work around depots, etc.

The cab frame is an Exmoor, and likely fitted by a private owner.

regards, Richard

Richard thank you as always..... It's been sold as a running old tractor, but I spotted the plate by chance and then got curious. The fact it is ex-military is a bonus in my eyes and the intention will be to see her in the correct colours and with her ERM showing at a local country fair or two.

My little lad is tractor mad and I thought it would be a bit of cheap fun for him and me as he aspires into landies and PIGs.

It may be one to hang onto for the future. I am told by someone into old Fergies that these old Industrial types are getting less known at shows as everyone has a grey fergie 20 or a mint 35. Also they just tend to rot away and get scrapped.

Any info about it is great just to get is tidied up and back to some normality.

I must confess I hate the roll cage! Probably sell that on to A N Other.

I think she will scrub up quite nice though with little effort and not stop me from getting on with the PIG and Rover 8FFR.

Thanks for all the help :D

Edited by Rover8FFR
added words

Richard thank you as always..... It's been sold as a running old tractor, but I spotted the plate by chance and then got curious. The fact it is ex-military is a bonus in my eyes and the intention will be to see her in the correct colours and with her ERM showing at a local country fair or two.

Hi Wayne,

If as I surmise from the data plate, that it was supplied as a basic tractor, then it will not need much to put it back to original, one back in DBG, it will look fine.

The Exmoor frame was designed for hop gardens, vineyards and fruit orchards and would fit narrow version tractors as well, they were less likely to snag the trees or bushes.

Edited by Richard Farrant

I believe I saw one of these in Bill Simmonds yard at Great Bentley several years ago . That one had the front end forklift and balance weights on the rear wheels (but I could be remembering incorrectly).

I had an M-F 2130 industrial tractor which we bought at one of the last Chilford Hall sales , I think that had the same engine as the one here .

Hi Wayne,

If as I surmise from the data plate, that it was supplied as a basic tractor, then it will not need much to put it back to original, one back in DBG, it will look fine.

The Exmoor frame was designed for hop gardens, vineyards and fruit orchards and would fit narrow version tractors as well, they were less likely to snag the trees or bushes.

Quick Question... Were they DBG all over or was it just tinware???????

Early 135 / Industrials were yellow over grey and later 2203 / 35's all yellow like a JCB.

Can you remember that far back Richard??

I believe I saw one of these in Bill Simmonds yard at Great Bentley several years ago . That one had the front end forklift and balance weights on the rear wheels (but I could be remembering incorrectly).

I had an M-F 2130 industrial tractor which we bought at one of the last Chilford Hall sales , I think that had the same engine as the one here .

Engine is the standard Perkins 3 cyl Diesel.... Or so I am told :-)

Rob,

The engine is a 3AD.152, completely different animal to a P3.

The pipe will be going to couplings for a tipping trailer no doubt.

Hi Richard, sorry yes point taken, a little too much shorthand!

I looked at the pipes thinking maybe 'constant pumping' out and return via a spool maybe for the forks.

Over a number of years we ran 203's, 35's and 40's and I have to confess I came across one of these some years ago and just assumed it was a digger with all the framework removed, never gave it a second glance. It was only recently I found out it was a model in it's own right! :) Oopps!

Now why does the name Ben Turner come to mind???

Hi Richard, sorry yes point taken, a little too much shorthand!

I looked at the pipes thinking maybe 'constant pumping' out and return via a spool maybe for the forks.

Over a number of years we ran 203's, 35's and 40's and I have to confess I came across one of these some years ago and just assumed it was a digger with all the framework removed, never gave it a second glance. It was only recently I found out it was a model in it's own right! :) Oopps!

Now why does the name Ben Turner come to mind???

:nut::nut::nut::D:D:D:D:D:wow::wow::wow::wow:

Totally off topic but I remember being sent to Ripley in a rush on a Saturday afternoon with the instructions of "The gate is shut but not locked. Find the Massey 22 and the parts you need are wrapped in a rag under the seat. Make sure the cab door is shut and just snap the lock on the gate when you leave". Sure that wouldn't happen today - Good times!