Ruddington?

marvinthemartian

Grey was introduced by CRAOC orders late 1977 then soon changed to same colour as the surrounding green or black the plate was positioned on.

I wonder if the bridge plate was where they put the temporary vehicle depot markings, which would include asset code, reliability classification, receipt date. When they leave a depot these marks should be obliterated.

Yes Wally it gives me a chuckle when I see that owners have restored their vehicle with the stencilling they have found under the paintwork & then put all the unit markings they found on it as well.

It could either be presented as a vehicle marked as when stored in a depot with no kit or unit markings. Or with the unit markings & kit but with the depot markings painted out as they were required to be on issue to a unit.

But its a touchy subject often people don't like to hear that. Yes I know people can paint whatever markings they like on their particular vehicle, but its not quite right to present it as genuine history because all the markings would not be there at the same time.:)

Our instructions were all military makings to be painted over. reg number to be painted in the top of the windscreen on the inside, using non enamel paint. The thing that surprises me most about that picture is 5th from right a Hippo Mk2 in camo ? blimey

TED

Ted,

In the late 1970's the TMP unit which was near our Workshops, took a number of 1944 Leyland Hippos on charge. I understood that that they had come from the Antwerp Vehicle Depot. They were a stopgap as the Foden 8x4 lorries were delayed coming in to service. I recall working on them, and they lasted a few years more, there was still a few spares in stock and I recall a complete windscreen assembly turning up. Do not think the squaddies were impressed when they turned up to collect a lorry!

Ted,

In the late 1970's the TMP unit which was near our Workshops, took a number of 1944 Leyland Hippos on charge.

I wonder if they were the ones that ended up at Jacksons around 1980. They had a lot lined up and they all appeared complete and in very straight condition. I used to "harvest" the headlights from them...

I wonder if they were the ones that ended up at Jacksons around 1980. They had a lot lined up and they all appeared complete and in very straight condition. I used to "harvest" the headlights from them...

Ivor,

I think there must have been a good number in storage and probably distributed to other TMP's around the country. Your time is about right, I think that a few went in to preservation as I recall at the time. One that was in service actually had a rally plaque on the side of the body, a unit must have attended a rally whilst it was on their charge!