Help cannot understand this

paulob1

Just filled the greengoddess with water, drove around the corner and she went bang, or at least started spewing out water and oil everywhere....is there a connection between the engine and the water tank...because it has proceeded to empty the water tank through the engine...got us foxed...

Im a little confused. Is it the big water tank as in for fighting fires or the engine coolant/expansion tank? I'm guessing you mean the big tank, if so, is the water pump connected directly to the engine, i.e. a seal between the 2 has gone? Seems a bit stupid to do it that way. Could it not be coincidence?

I really hope its not your cylinder head that's gone and its just coincidence that their is water leaking out of the big tank.

Like Chris says your post is a little confusing, if the main pump tank is leaking was it drained completely during winter as if this isn't done the frost can do untold damage. If you mean you are losing engine coolant and it is mixing with the engine oil then again you could either have a head gasket problem or a cracked block again something that can happen over winter if not enough anti freeze is added. Try and find out which problem you have and someone on here will surely be able to advise a solution. Good Luck.

Just filled the greengoddess with water, drove around the corner and she went bang, or at least started spewing out water and oil everywhere....is there a connection between the engine and the water tank...because it has proceeded to empty the water tank through the engine...got us foxed...

If the tank valve is open the tank can drain into the pump volute, this in turn will act uponl the pipes to the intercoolers. once these are full all will stay at steady level until the intercooler in the sump fails internally; the weight of water in the tank will act on the water in the pipes and the water will be forced into the sump I think the rest may be history . Even if the tank valve is closed the water in the pipes alone will cause mayhem if it gets into the sump via a failer intercooler . Given their age this is not the first internal intercooler failure in recent years : Assuming of course I have understood your post correctly ????????????? The answer is yes the tank can drain into the engine.

TED

DSCF0334.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

Edited by ted angus

I would advise all goddess owners that will not be pumping for long periods to bypass the sump cooler. This is very simple just locate the 2 hoses that run from intercooler to sump, fit 1 hose between the two intercooler unions and the other between the two sump unions. I have seen a goddess engine fill with water untill it hydraulics, not good.

I can see why an intercooler might be fitted to provide additional engine cooling when static pumping for long periods - but was it also intended to provide an anti-freezing 'water warming' facility to protect the pto driven water pump?

I can see why an intercooler might be fitted to provide additional engine cooling when static pumping for long periods - but was it also intended to provide an anti-freezing 'water warming' facility to protect the pto driven water pump?
No, There are drain taps in various places so in cold weather everything should be drained . A pump left idling can boil water !!! Edited by ted angus

yep thats what it was, pipes in sump split, filled my engine with water...unbelievable...so if I bypass this, and the engine is planned to run for a long time I need to fit an electric fan to the radiator?

I am going to fit an alternator to it to as having continuous charging issues...

yep thats what it was, pipes in sump split, filled my engine with water...unbelievable...so if I bypass this, and the engine is planned to run for a long time I need to fit an electric fan to the radiator?

I am going to fit an alternator to it to as having continuous charging issues...

Not convinced an electric fan would suffice for prolonged pumping, If you are just going to pump out the tank contents you should be safe without the intercooler- but otherwise you really would be best advised to sort it. Have you had a good look at the control box re the charging problem; In the Scottish storage Depots in the 1950s & 60s they stored the GGs with the control boxes removed they hate damp and of course well past their sell by date

Good luck

TED

yes that was the purpose of the green goddess to pump water to other fire engines. I understand. the pipe on mine is well goosed, it looks like it has frozen and split in winter...two very short splits in the copper...we are going to fit an oil cooler and see how that works first, cant be as good as the cold water feed but dont like the idea of the water tank flooding into the engine again, although there is a tap to stop it doing this...but it will be forgotten I am sure so no more water cooling in the engine oil...just need to get me some new sump, rocker cover gaskets...and a new oil filter, anyone know where I can get these...oh and a new headlight lense, broken by son with wayward hammer...

yes that was the purpose of the green goddess to pump water to other fire engines. I understand. the pipe on mine is well goosed, it looks like it has frozen and split in winter...two very short splits in the copper...we are going to fit an oil cooler and see how that works first, cant be as good as the cold water feed but dont like the idea of the water tank flooding into the engine again, although there is a tap to stop it doing this...but it will be forgotten I am sure so no more water cooling in the engine oil...just need to get me some new sump, rocker cover gaskets...and a new oil filter, anyone know where I can get these...oh and a new headlight lense, broken by son with wayward hammer...

Paul,

If you just want a new Goddess I know where there are 2 as released from Withams.