Bead breackers

Tony B

Most commercial tyre palces capable of handaling MV size tyres no seem extremly ansty over split rims. While we all know actually fitting the tyres is easy, it's breacking the bead in the first place! Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced DIY bead breacker?

I cant remeber / find the name but i used a mobile / motorway commercial tyre fitter to change the tyres on my Dodge a few years ago.I purchased the tyres seperatly and booked this chap to come around - kept him in tea and chocky biscuits and think he charged around £25 a rim

- I think it may have been a company called Motorway tyres ???

Do you know anyone with a GRAB WAGON, Hiab, Atlas etc type??? I have seen the STABILIZER LEG lowered onto a bead to break it...!!!! Quite effective as ive seen!!!!

Suppose a JCB 3CX leg would do the same!!!

Do you know anyone with a GRAB WAGON, Hiab, Atlas etc type??? I have seen the STABILIZER LEG lowered onto a bead to break it...!!!! Quite effective as ive seen!!!!

Suppose a JCB 3CX leg would do the same!!!

Stabiliser legs or or the back-actor will work but only if the bead is reasonably free, if it's rusted on as old ones frequently are then it won't shift them on it's own as it is pressing on the sidewall of the tyre not on the bead. You will then need to resort to the use of a 'plonker' or large, blunt chisel ended drifts and a sledgehammer. If these things don't work a stihlsaw will ;):-D

Tyre houses usually claim insurance issues due to H&S but the real reason is the time spent and the difficulty encountered.

If you can get them to ampthill near bedford then i can get them stripped off the rims for a small charge, we use a machine that will strip off any wheel including earthmovers. split rims are no problem if you know what you ae doing, including reassembly. just pm me.

Hello,

This is the tyre remover i have,

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21597-Fitting-New-MRF-NDMS-Ferret-Tyres&p=234426#post234426

Cost me 50 euro's, i've split about 20 wheels and it hasn't failed yet. Can generally split a british rim in a couple of hours, it's not just breaking the bead that hard but getting the tyre over the ring of corrosion behind it.

The chap that sells them is generally at war and peace.

Regards

John

Yep I bought one of these from a foreign guy in the trade at war and peace some years ago for £65 as new in a box all complete , he is there every year and always has at least one for sale . It's probably the best value bit of kit I've bought . It does my 1200/20 split rims easy . Martin

I want to breack the bead! Not shatter the rim!:-D Actually though.... have words with our enginners. Most bus companies lease the tyres now (No kidding!) so we have a weekly visit from Michillin Man, who has his own cubby hole.

Stabiliser legs or or the back-actor will work but only if the bead is reasonably free, if it's rusted on as old ones frequently are then it won't shift them on it's own as it is pressing on the sidewall of the tyre not on the bead. You will then need to resort to the use of a 'plonker' or large, blunt chisel ended drifts and a sledgehammer. If these things don't work a stihlsaw will ;):-D

Tyre houses usually claim insurance issues due to H&S but the real reason is the time spent and the difficulty encountered.

Seriously thinkimg of a saw on three as they are past it. Trouble is there are two Firestone British NATO type that are usable, don't want to spoil them. I've got 5 new Michilin similar to the old Avon Traction Milage type. I know they are not NDC, but, as the vehicle is marked up for Pre D-Day in UK it would have run on 'Economy' tyres anyway. A mate has one of the Ex German ones, but dosen't quite fit a Dodge rim, does work though. Retriver, thanks for offer, but a bit far, though given me an idea, I can try the local agricultural place.

Edited by Tony B

When I had the cloverleafs taken off our WC54 about 6 years ago I drove up to our local ats euromaster truck tyre place and they had everything done in less than an hour and only charged me £30 so I left them with a bit of beer money as a thanks, I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar near to you?

hi for land rover tyres. foot of hi lift jack on tyre and toe under front bumper and use weight of vehicle.may need heavier vehicle.but works most times.have also seen a curved length of bar welded to foot of jack to fit next to rim on tyre bead.

Hello,

This is the tyre remover i have,

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21597-Fitting-New-MRF-NDMS-Ferret-Tyres&p=234426#post234426

Cost me 50 euro's, i've split about 20 wheels and it hasn't failed yet. Can generally split a british rim in a couple of hours, it's not just breaking the bead that hard but getting the tyre over the ring of corrosion behind it.

The chap that sells them is generally at war and peace.

Regards

John

That looks the business!!! any idea where I could get one?

Richard

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I have a query about split rims.

When I think if split rims I think of the 2 piece rims on the ferret – 2 sides bolted together. However am I right in saying that the most common usage of the term “split rims” generally applies to those that have a non-boltable one sided rim which seems to clip onto the main wheel or be retained by the tyre inflation, and it’s the latter form of split rim that explodes in all those you-tube clips (under inflation) Hence the need for the cages you see them being inflated in?

I understand that there is danger in splitting a ferret wheel rim, if the tube is still inflated (dodgy valve for example) - if pressure remains in the tyre, the rims could blast apart.

If I remove the valve from the tube in a ferret wheel, and am sure that it’s fully deflated, is there any danger when trying to break the bead and split the rim?

Cheers

Matt

The Dodge has the same type a dozen bolts holding the two halfs together. The other type with the C Clip are a bomb waiting to go off. My procedure before going anywhere near the split rim nuts is to take the valve out of the stem and keep it in my pocket. Then I know the tyre is deflated. Then split the bead, after that split the rim. The rim won't come out if the bead is intact. If you lossen the rim nuts slightly, then WITHOUT the valve in gentle add air to the tyre it will push the rim apart. BUT remove air pipe and wait for tyre to deflate agin before removing the nuts the rest of the way. Always double check rim nuts before re-inflation and take up in small stages.

The Dodge has the same type a dozen bolts holding the two halfs together. The other type with the C Clip are a bomb waiting to go off. My procedure before going anywhere near the split rim nuts is to take the valve out of the stem and keep it in my pocket. Then I know the tyre is deflated. Then split the bead, after that split the rim. The rim won't come out if the bead is intact. If you lossen the rim nuts slightly, then WITHOUT the valve in gentle add air to the tyre it will push the rim apart. BUT remove air pipe and wait for tyre to deflate agin before removing the nuts the rest of the way. Always double check rim nuts before re-inflation and take up in small stages.

Thanks for the info Tony :-) I'm going to keep a look out for a bead breaker.

MT

Thanks for the info Tony :-) I'm going to keep a look out for a bead breaker.

MT

Would be nice to have one about, but I have to admit, a friendly garage is a lot easier. :-D By the way I will have a couple of 9 x 16 usable clover leaf a usable Firestone NATO and a workable Continental. If anyone intrested let me know, otherwise they will just sit.

Bead breaker 002.jpg Pics as promised, I made this breaker from scrap materials, apart from the sledgehammer head, in a couple of hours at work (It was my business, now our sons) it works very well and any one with a midicum of welding ability can make one.

Bead breaker 001.jpg