WW1 GMC Ambulances

Great War truck

I have been offered an exciting package of three WW1 GMC Ambulances with enough parts to restore two of them. You may be familiar with it, they did look like this:

GMC_1917_agrave_claire-voie_zps6b0b2931.jpg

Although there were two different body types. Anyway, this is what i have been offered:

DSC_0082_zps4c90e69b.jpg

DSC_0071_zps576141da.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsb3fa28fd.jpg

DSC_0069_zpscbe0fdf7.jpg

DSC_0068_zpsb72298f7.jpg

P5120031_zps9356e5e4.jpg

P1120444_zpsbaf2effd.jpg

P1120439_zps8b8225e2.jpg

P1120433_zps80ce87b1.jpg

Does anybody know anything about them? Does anybody have a manual? There are at least three restored ones in the USA (photos to follow). any thoughts or other words of wisdom greatefully received

• Like 4

Very nice old trucks. Would be a relatively easy restoration for someone since most of the parts are there and in reasonable condition. I especially liked the front bumper that has the elaborate and well thought out spring arrangement in one of the photos. Very interesting to see.

Hello

Yes a nice package ..I too was offered them but the cost of shipping the three of them from the continent to the US scared me off...... Perhaps the price has come down a bit to enable their resurrection to take place. They were not , to my knowledge, first line ambulances. These were most exclusively Model T's. I believe that GMC's were used to transport patients to the larger facilities well behind the lines Good luck to someone!!!

bob

Just curious but what would make a Model T more appropriate for front line work over a GMC?

Tim,

The Ford T was trialled along with Sunbeams for use by Field Ambulances. It had been thought that only horses would be suitable for FAs due to FAs being mainly tents in fields and much closer to the front line. On 8-11-1914 the Ford stood up best in cross country trials around St Omer conducted by 1 MAC and had 'good ground clearance and small turning circle' whereas the Sunbeam lacked ground clearance. On 23-11-1914 ambulances were sent by 1 MAC to FAs for trials and 9 Fords and 3 Sunbeams were sent. The Fords came out on top for use off-road, although were unable to carry as many patients. The Fords appear to have been BRCS cars, not War Office. These trials only lasted a few days and the horse ambulances of FAs began to be replaced by motor ambulances, mainly Fords, but some evidence of Daimlers, Austins and Sunbeams being used. The Ford remained the most popular with FAs (cross-country ability) and least popular with MACs (payload capacity) and as with all the other makes used underwent various modifications as wartime experience developed. In Africa the Ford T was known as the 'Jigger' after the Jigger Flea due to its ability to get everywhere.

The GMC ambulances were all BRCS cars it seems. I have found nothing that points to the War office buying other than British made cars, but by early 1915 the BRCS were buying American chassis with UK built bodies (Buicks with Sunbeam fittings) as the War Office were grabbing all the British manufacturers capacity. The BRCS were no different to any other civilian user in that permission was needed to buy new vehicles. I've not found direct reference to GMC ambulances being used except a couple of photographs which both have FANY drivers. The FANY operated a ambulance convoy in Boulogne on behalf of BRCS carrying patients from hospitals in the town to hospital ships and from hospital trains to the hospitals, so rarely ventured outside of Boulogne.

A Friend's Grandmother and an BRC ambulance supplied from Jersey, I'd be intrested to know what type they are

Tony, would your friend have any further information, and could you put us in touch, please?

The top pic is a donated or 'gift' ambulance, but not BRCS. It's British Ambulance Committee. Not been able to find much on BAC but hopefully more when next at Kew.

The bottom pic is a War Office Siddeley-Deasy, so not BRCS either. The lady looks to be FANY.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello

Yes a nice package ..I too was offered them but the cost of shipping the three of them from the continent to the US scared me off...... Perhaps the price has come down a bit to enable their resurrection to take place. They were not , to my knowledge, first line ambulances. These were most exclusively Model T's. I believe that GMC's were used to transport patients to the larger facilities well behind the lines Good luck to someone!!!

bob

Bob, the GMCs were used extensively by US forces in Italy and France, they were favored over the Ford ambulances for service in Italy because they had a multi-gear transmission and more substantial brakes. There were more GMCs shipped to Europe than were needed in Italy, so many were used in Sections and companies in France. All of the GMCs that I have seen photos of in France had the closed body as shown inthe photo of the restored ambulance, I have a friend who has an original open body ambulance as shown in the first post.

AmbulancesandPackardtruckpropertyofAmbulanceCo8FluerSurAireFranceSept1918.jpg

Here is Evacuation Ambulance Company 8 with their Packard truck and 12 GMC ambulances in France in Sept of 1918

• 10 years later...

I  know  that  I  last  posted  on  this  thread   10  years  ago  but I  thought   I  would   resurrect it.   Well   I  did   find   a   US   GMC   ambulance  chassis   here   in  the   US  .    Lot   of   work  to   do   but it   is now   running  and   on  newly  made   wheels  and   new   rubber.   .   I  do  need  the   radiator  assembly. Presently   I  am   modifying  an  early  Dodge   radiator   to   do  the   job.   I  wonder   if    the   three   in   France  are  still  there   and   would    the owner   sell  any   parts.   Anyone  have   any    contact  information   for   them   /  I  have  long  lost   whomever  was  selling  them

IMG_9578.jpeg

0D6F469A-06B0-492A-8896-C65542256BC9_1_105_c.jpeg

96FB6F6C-99D9-4C14-BAEE-320AC26F9285.jpeg

225F3C64-3734-43C4-85DC-45A8743FC3AD_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by bobs1918
  • Like 5

I   really   do  not   expect  to  find  a  radiator  any  time   soon   so   I  am   repurposing     one   for  a  1920s  Dodge  brothers.  So   far I  have  the   shroud    widened     about   2  inches  and   shortened  about   1   inch.  Than   I   will   insert  the  DB  radiator    and    add  some   trim   to  the   shroud  to    block out   the   expected   size   discrepancies.         Not    perfect    but  it   will  enable  me   to   run   the   engine    and   beats   having   a   big   gaping   hole  in  the  frontimage.thumb.jpeg.7ce81e497b4cb89e3489d2b94fed3d3e.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

As   luck   would   have   it    I  managed  to   locate    a  second    GMC   chassis . It  was  a  true   barn   find       .  It   lacks   an  engine   but    there  is   an  original  cargo   truck    body   on   it   .   And     it   has   the   elusive   radiator   .  The   plan   is   to   take   the   best   components   and   build  one  truck.  The  second   vehicle  has   the  roof   and   the   upright  and  horizontal supports along   with    the   cargo    box. Should   be   here   in about   48   hours     Updates   to   follow image.thumb.jpeg.f1c44bfe110fca6e0f7a433d4eedb631.jpeg5B6139BE-89A9-43B3-99A8-889C7E4C201E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e7f35e1f9e66cff4e7a204a44c45fdbe.jpeg9C118131-37E2-4CF9-B684-CD967A5DF1E7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4fc68f9f85dd7ed70ae41770b359d6b3.jpeg70DCDAED-C1E6-422E-8A2A-C5DCA30B096B.thumb.jpeg.cca9eebc3654028cf3d38ecfd9733918.jpeg 

• Like 7