Daimler Dingo restoration.

This particular Dingo spent a long time in a garage in Wales before being moved to its current location in North London in 2006. When completed it will have markings for the 2nd Household Cavalry in North West Europe, 44' 45'.

Hi,

Looking good. Now I think this all sounds familiar, I think the owner's father crewed one with the 2nd HC. Glad to see it is coming together.

regards, Richard

Excellent work Singe and Henry; thanks for posting these pics. The additonal pics and story on the daimler site are well worth having a look and read. The picture of Valkenswaard is pretty well-known and I have passed by the location quite a few times on our way to Belgium. What a coincidence that your father appears on this picture.....excellent that you plan on finishing the Dingo in that registration!

Keep the pics coming.

Alex

hi , nice work , I am doing one up at the moment for a friend of mine , but I am wondering what the factory color for the engine would be , I can only find red oxide on the engine .

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I think from new, they were a light grey. The last one I restored had low mileage after an army rebuild, the block and head were obviously "new" from condition and stencilled marking on the rocker cover were similar to what i had seen in wartime photos. Stencilling was definitely painted over grey. I had a feeling this was a factory engine and not an army rebuild (no rebuild data plate on it either).

regards,

Richard

Maurice,

The Daimler AC also had a grey engine. Looking at assembly line photos it seems that initially at least, the gearboxes were not painted. Some engine ancillaries were black, and this is confirmed by looking at NOS parts which seem to have been supplied in a black enamel finish.

In addition the engine serial number was stencilled in black on the block. In the case of the Daimler AC this was on the lower NS of the block, ie radiator end. As Richard has said some stencilling was also applied to the rocker covers.

Engine compartment was at assembly in body colour, whatever camouflage shade was in use at the time.

Probably none of this survived the first rebuild and a paintbrush wielding Tommy though I doubt very much was done in wartime. Post war bling is another matter of course!

Regards

Paul

Hi All, are there now several daimlers in 2HCR colours? I saw the the article in CMV, but I take it that this is another

In 2012 there were two Daimler heavies in 2HCR colors but one has since changed ownership and has been repainted.

So F20333, is now the only one currently on the show circuit.

The dingos in the CMV article were F329573 which is marked 2HCR and the other F340653 which is painted as Royal Navy (but only on opposite side as shown in the picture).

With regards to Dingo's there are approx 9 others in these markings, most are located in the UK & the Netherlands.

Some show the mounted knight of VIII Corps and some the Guards Armoured Eye, both of which would be correct for 2HCR at the time of Market Garden (Sept 44)

The car being restored will be the 11th and will be as true a representation as can be achieved including:

1. The lack of light fittings. Quickly removable lightswill be provided for highway use.

2. Reproduction of the original steel armoured roof.

3. The addition of the many miscellaneous stowage boxes welded to the outside of the hull and bolted onto the wings. Its taken quite awhile to find period boxes of the correct size, type and with a pre 1945 date. We have many other photo’s of period 2HCR dingo’s and have pieced together the arrangement of these non-standard fittings.

4. A horse shoe. We are also sourcing a horse shoe from the current Household Cavalry Regiment, to weld onto the front glacis plate just like the original car. (Look at the photo)

5. We do need examples of the electricaly fired smoke pots fitted below the front bin, if anyone can help with these please let us know.

The car under restoration will hopefully be shown at the same events as the other cars so that a Half troop of 4 daimlers can be presented.Dingo  XXX_Corps_2nd HCR (180944).jpg

Edited by singaeger

• 3 weeks later...
Maurice,

The Daimler AC also had a grey engine. Looking at assembly line photos it seems that initially at least, the gearboxes were not painted. Some engine ancillaries were black, and this is confirmed by looking at NOS parts which seem to have been supplied in a black enamel finish.

In addition the engine serial number was stencilled in black on the block. In the case of the Daimler AC this was on the lower NS of the block, ie radiator end. As Richard has said some stencilling was also applied to the rocker covers.

Engine compartment was at assembly in body colour, whatever camouflage shade was in use at the time.

Probably none of this survived the first rebuild and a paintbrush wielding Tommy though I doubt very much was done in wartime. Post war bling is another matter of course!

Just been cleaning up my Dingo rocker box cover which was definitely grey underneath. It does not look like a primer coat and is overpainted in Eau de Nil.

On the subject of wartime colours I would imagine that a hardworked Mk 11 Dingo engine from 1942 would definitely be up for replacement by say 1944 and would quite likely be fitted with a rebuild rather than a new factory unit and probably supplied from a REME programme in Eau de Nil.

Edited by David B.

• 2 months later...

I like those sitting room pictures remember me when i wasn't married and no kids around very thing was possible in the house, nowadays it is off limits for military parts. But that is probably with most of us