AMG M151A2 (MUTT)

TooTallMike

Haven't seen W & T but am sure yanks still had some MUTTs in GW1 because HMMWV were still arriving. Pretty sure that all the Gulf states - and especially the Saudis used the MUTT but remember that some of the larger muslim african nations like Nigeria might use arabic in addition to english. Don't want to sound silly, but the Iraqis had so much odd kit - it could even be captured from Iran and then turned up in Kuwait. I've seen pix of Iraqi groups using captured Chieftains (or whatever the Iranians called them) and according to GlobalSecurity there are still plenty of Saladins out there somewhere.....shame it's too dangerous to go looking.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's the translation courtesy of a friend of Emmett Thompson from the G503:

"OK, I got the low down on the Aribic.

On the quarter panel with the Arabic writing and the numbers....

'El gish' That roughly translates into 'Military' or 'Army'.

Sorry, no idea as to who's military.

the number is 36110

You see this kind of thing over here on police and military vehicles that don't have a place for a licensence plate or tag. They just paint it on.

As far as the other side, it is a unit marking....7 and what ever that symbol is...no idea.

The best part is that your 151 has a name!

It's 'Wahbi'

Kind of strange about how it is written as in your photo of the close up of the hood is up-side-down. In order to paint the name Wahbi, you would have to lean way over to the drivers side from the pax side.

Last point is that it is suspected that it is from the Gulf reigon as opposed to north Africa or Lebenon.. I guess these folks can tell that somehow by the way the letters are written."

So there we go. It has a name and an identity. I now need to identify the unit marking to get any more specific info. on which country it was from.

Or then again maybe not... I just got this message:

"...Back to square one.

I guess I should have asked more than one person.

Now that I have asked 6 different people with different backgrounds, I think I have an answer to the name under the hood (bonnet)

It's Wahabi. Seems to be a bit of confusion about the poorly written script.

Wahabi (pronounced waahabbi) is in fact a name and not the aformention Wahabi sect that is known in the Saudi area.

The name Wahabi is a common name in the Egypt area ( t=not the gulf states) or lebenon. Just the oppisite of what I said before.

Had one he11 of an argument going on with the locals here as to the origin of the name, but it is a lot like Mike or Emmett. Just a name."

:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep my record up-to-date, the front wiring loom is now installed. All light units are painted and fitted. Battery cables are laid in and awaiting batteries this week, then I can finalise cable lengths at the battery box end. Washer bottle is fitted. Spare wheel is mounted. Screen frame and hood sticks are in top coat. Additional rear reflectors are fitted. Interior parts such as switches and choke/hand throttle control cables are in. I'll chase up the head this week so I can get the engine re-fitted. Cleaned and primed the bonnet today. It's not very flat but I'll use it for now and swap it out for a better one at a later date.

Brush. Always brush, even large panels. You get to know every square centimetre of your vehicle intimately which is important to me. Spraying is very impersonal (stop me if I'm getting too metaphorical :roll:)

I don't like rollers because you can get that stippled effect and I dislike the way they drag if you overload them. I use a 20mm brush for complex areas and a 40mm for everything else. I can't be bothered with the prep involved with spraying plus I don't work anywhere clean enough. Spray doesn't get in the crevices and most importantly, you get a very thin cover. With a brush I can lather it on and once you've had some practice, brush marks and runs can be avoided. After 3 or 4 thick coats it should be fairly well rustproofed :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Engine and gearbox are fitted but I’m still waiting to get the head back from the company which is supposedly installing hardened exhaust valve seats.

Fuel tank is in and plumbed. Rotating beacon is mounted. Steering wheel is painted and fitted.

The MUTT body is called a ‘uni-body’ which means it’s monocoque. So instead of having a separate chassis and body, the whole thing is made from folded and spot-welded sheet. There are two main body rails which act as the chassis and then 3 main lateral bearers, one under the bulkhead, one before the rear axle, and one at the rear. These all usually rust out and have to be repaired, but one of the reasons I bought this vehicle was that it is entirely rust free. I wanted to make sure it stays that way so yesterday afternoon we hung the MUTT from the WLF crane and injected Waxoyl into all the structural members and the suspension units.

Driveshafts are in. Handbrake is adjusted and now works (unlike previously!) Exhaust is loosely fitted. Front grille is on and needs to be top-coated. Bonnet is test fitted. Transmission cover is fitted.

I temporarily fitted the driver’s seat so I could sit in and say ‘brmm brmm’ to myself and try to remember why I’m going through all this!

One night this week I’m going to run jump leads from the WLF to the MUTT wiring loom to test the lights etc.

that is looking absolutley the dogs danglies!!!! I love the result of al that hard work........ this time last year I was going all through this with the pinkie so I can appreciate the grief, and the amount of will power needed to plough every spare minute into working on it........

Dedication...... thats what you need!

Damn students. Too much time on their hands if you ask me. :nono:

:BANNED!: :box:

That's 'part-time student' thank you very much. Anyway the reason I spend so much time playing with vehicles is not so much due to my employment status as to my not having a life. Ho hum. :-)

Sorry Neil, I'm allergic to Stollies :shake:. Grasshopper is a munchkin though so he could probably get into your hull without you having to remove anything, although you might have to get him a tiny stepladder so he can reach up to your m/cyl.

Cheers Kyle,

You're quite right, there's nothing wrong with being a student but for me it's very much a means to an end. It'll be worth it when I get those little letters after my name :-D. It's just a hard slog when the sun's shining outside, the MVs are calling and work are offering me jobs left, right & centre. :-(

- Mike

my self and Grasshopper are not short, it is you my freind that is overly tall.....

plus, all good things come in small packages, thats what my mummy tells me :tongue:

Oi, don't you know tall-ism is politically incorrect :nono:. I'll have you know I'm very insecure about being 3' higher than you two. (it's a superiority complex thing you know!)