AMG M151A2 (MUTT)

TooTallMike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got the head back from the company who were fitting hardened valve seats to it. (£20 discount for it being 5 weeks later than they said, plus for my regularly having to chase them up. I hate poor customer service :roll:)

They've done a good job though. Head is now fitted, valves are done, plumbing is half done and I've installed a NOS carb straight out of its sealed plastic bag.

IT RUNS! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I finished the plumbing and churned it over a few times to re-lubricate the bearings, then chucked some fuel in, turned the ignition on, let the electric pump prime, set the choke and it started quite literally first turn.

I put this down to a combination of having put the distributor back exactly as I removed it, and having installed the elctric pump.

After a short period of choke it had warmed up and was purring like a newly hatched kitten.

I could only drive it back and forth 3 feet but that's enough. I'm hoping to squeeze it out of the shed on Thursday evening to go for a whizz up and down.

MoT next week then... :shake:

"After a short period of choke it had warmed up and was purring like a newly hatched kitten".

Don't know what its like where you come from but I didn't know kittens hatched, chickens yes ..... but kittens!!!!

Looking good though Mike.

BTW, returned your e-mail

Did the ignition timing today: I stripped the RF shielding off one of the old leads and clipped the stroboscope's induction clamp over it. Once I located the well-hidden timing mark on the crankshaft pulley I found the timing wasn't far out. It's now spot on. I also re-set the valve clearances. It sounds a lot better and pulls well (:naughty:), at least up to 35mp - I can't go any faster until I'm en route to the MoT.

Well,

I had fun driving an unregistered & untaxed vehicle on the road to and from the MoT station. Got a lot of looks including from drivers of sports cars. It goes well but there are some carb issues to deal with. Also charging and a few other bits and pieces.

MoT was easy and there were no advisories or problems. Now I just have to do jump through the DVLA bureacracy cr@p to get it registered which I'm not looking forward to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind comments Mark. I'm based in S. London. It'll be at Kemble this weekend, a few other odds and sods and Beltring.

Had my DVLA inspection this morning so I'm now waiting (hopefully) to find out the reg. so I can get plates made and go out and play 8-) It's only been a month and a half since the MoT...

Sadly though, due to the pressure of having too many vehicles and not enough space it's gonna have to be sold, so if anyone's interested PM me for details.

(offers around £9,500)

Thanks for your kind comments Mark. I'm based in S. London. It'll be at Kemble this weekend, a few other odds and sods and Beltring.

Had my DVLA inspection this morning so I'm now waiting (hopefully) to find out the reg. so I can get plates made and go out and play 8-) It's only been a month and a half since the MoT...

Sadly though, due to the pressure of having too many vehicles and not enough space it's gonna have to be sold, so if anyone's interested PM me for details.

(offers around £9,500)

Cant believe it.Some one who is on my door step so to speak.Im in Catford/Bromley.Also potter around in Brixton.£9,500 is a good price considering all the work you have put in to it.I would love to own it,but as you can see from the list of vehicles i all ready have one more would spell the end of my marriage.lol

In an astoundingly uncharacteristic bout of efficiency from the DVLA, the tax disc and number plate form came in the post this morning - & I only had the inspection yesterday :schocked:. Plates are now on order so I should be able to play early next week!

Mark,

We're in Coulsdon which is not too far from you. Can I interest you in the Redhill Steam Fair? 11th & 12th August and only a half hour drive from Bromley. There's a thread on it in the events section. PM me for more info.

- Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, The MUTT will be there if it's not sold by then (fingers crossed for it to go at W&P...) You'll be very welcome for the one day. Hopefully Ward Lafrance MarkHeliops will be there too assuming his truck is back together (I believe you guys met at Bromley?)

Finally on the road with number plates and tax disc. This registration is really going to p*ss off the Humvee owners :evil:, especially as that was the replacement for the MUTT!

Trying to train my 3-month old neice in the way of green things :whistle: