Opps I done it again...bought another tank...

BRDM Driver

I just could not resist it's charms and that big gun!

(I know, I know, it's not a tank and neither is my other tank...)

I guess it's all those childhood dreams and climbing about on this stuff when I was a kid - the Scorpion and Abbot are really iconic vehicles and I've always had a thing for them. Now I'm in the fortunate position to have the space and some spare cash to indulge myself, so why not! (and ebay shopping is too easy!)

It arrived this morning all the way from Dundee. As usual, we had freezing cold drizzle accompanied by a strong easterly. When the BRDM arrived a few years ago we had 4 inches of snow and we had non-stop rain when the Scorpion arrived too.

So my first go at FV430 driving was reasonably successful despite some initial starting problems, no wing mirrors and a really tight corner into the drive. We unloaded on the main road in a bustop lay-by and had a quick trundle the 300 yards to the house.

This is definitely my last purchase of Green Stuff. Now it's time to get down to some hard work and start getting them cleaned up!

big gun.jpg

on the drive.jpg

kitchen.jpg

gunners gubins.jpg

breech.jpg

Yes Andy, I guess I am very fortunate. Didn't come easy though, 10 years slogging it out from a 3 man startup to a reasonably sized business with lots of highs and lows in between. Running a company is hard, but actually designing, making and selling real physical products is even harder in the country! I have paid some eye watering size tax bills along the way so this is my treat to me!

Pzkpfw-e: I knew someone would fall for that and without even reading my post too! My other tank is a Scorpion...:D

It's good to see some proper photos of the inside. Someone seems to have stolen your breech block and LBM, presumably as part of the deactivation. And you've got the same bit of chocolate block hanging from the roof that I've got - must have been a "standard" fit!

Andy

Yes Andy, I guess I am very fortunate. Didn't come easy though, 10 years slogging it out from a 3 man startup to a reasonably sized business with lots of highs and lows in between. Running a company is hard, but actually designing, making and selling real physical products is even harder in the country! I have paid some eye watering size tax bills along the way so this is my treat to me!

Pzkpfw-e: I knew someone would fall for that and without even reading my post too! My other tank is a Scorpion...:D

Well done mate , makes you appreciate things more when you work hard to get them ! Still wouldn't say no to a lotto win though ! Just to speed things up a little !:red:

Very nice.

Would not worry about the description.

It has a armour, tracks, a big rotating gun. That makes it a tanks to the vast majority of the world.

You've worked hard for you cash so you are entitled to enjoy it and call it what you like.

Heck I have people call my Land Rover a Jeep, now that is something to complain about:-D

Mike

Yes, calling a landy a jeep is a real insult (nothing against jeeps you understand)...

The 'tank' thing always reminds me of the spiel at Bovy when they do their displays during the school hols. The first umpteen vehicles are always 'not tanks' despite everyone coming to the tank museum!

Been poking about inside some more. It's not in too bad shape really. Few rusty bits here and there, the odd dangling wire, usual story.

Turret batteries are knackered and were not connected so I'm just seeing if I can revive them.

Dashboard dials don't seem to do much - but need to investigate tomorrow with the engine running.

Missing the main sight unfortunately, but I'm sure these turn up from time to time.

Missing all it's fire extinguishers.

Missing some wing mirrors too.

I can feel a shopping list coming on!

• 3 weeks later...

You've paid tax?! Best get in touch with Starbucks then :cool2: