Damyns Hall - Military & Flying Machines

This was the first time that I had been able to get down to the Damyns Hall show due to it always clashing with something else I had on. I had a good day out, despite a torrential downpour for around 30-40 minutes around the mid-day period. Ground conditions were certainly varying with the first field you entered being a quagmire, but things got better as you ventured into the show ground and it was good to see vehicles which I don't usually get the chance to see with living in the Midlands.

Anyway onto the pictures and we will start with the tracked vehicles:

123.jpg

122.jpg

210.jpg

188.jpg

128.jpg

Don't suppose you got any photos of Chris Warne's USAAF ground crew display did you, Gerry? Or anyone?

Had an enjoyable afternoon today at Damyns Hall with the family. Arrived just after lunchtime and after the cloud-burst (we were on the A12 heading south at the time and copped it just south of Chelmsford.)

So upon arrival, I was dubious about being pointed in the direction of the public car park, knowing that my van starts spinning by just looking at damp grass! As we trundled in, we could see cars in the car park being towed in (and out!), so gave that a wide berth and managed to find a patch in the camping area that wasn't at all muddy. The sun was shining, their was blue sky and their was no more bad weather on the horizon, so in we went.

The Lancaster did a stirring display, 5 or 6 passes in total and the sound of the Merlin's resounded across the showground. Apparently it was accompanied by a couple of 'outriders' yesterday, but to be honest, considering the weather, I was surprised to see it at all !

Unless I missed it Tony (and I didn't managed to tour the whole site due to unsuitable preparation in the footwear department), I didn't see Chris Warne's USAAF display, and I was specifically looking for it. So either it wasn't there this year, he had packed up early due to the weather or I didn't reach that part of the showground.

I can however report that the trio of bouncy castles lived up to all expectations in the female 3 1/2 year old department :)

Another great show …on the whole the weather was very kind ..Only one thunder storm on the Sunday ( 20 Mins or so ) but on the whole lots of sunshine ..

A much bigger show again with lots to see from wild west re enactors to the modern day..

The bar was a great attraction for may not only because of the beer but 40’s music and fashion shows ..

Some great battles in the arena

Chris was in his usual place but because of his heavy work load and the lack of a large vehicle he was unable to put on as extensive display as last year..

Some piX on FLICKR.

ken

I went on the Saturday just as visitor, and very much enjoyed the show. The Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane were fantastic and were a joy to see. The re-enactors displays were good and well set out - not too crowded. The show is compact and easy to walk around, even the toilets were clean and pleasant smelling!! Only quibble was the car park - there was no-one directing traffic out or even exit signs, resulting in traffic going the wrong way and causing jams.

Looking forward to next year, and hopefully taking a vehicle and staying.

Scott - I am sure that is the USAAF aircraft maintenance Dodge that did the HCVS Brighton Run back in the 1980s and I haven't seen it since. If so, it is a very rare vehicle. Great snaps. Glad everyone had a good show. If I hadn't been working, I would have gone.

Cheers..

MB

Visited on the Saturday only, my first MV show with an actual MV! In fact if I'd more than 5 days to prepare (I only acquired my landie the weekend before) I would stayed the weekend.

This show just keeps getting better, in fact I can't recall a bad Essex MVT show, I do still miss the feel of the ones at Tilbury though.

I think the appeal is lots of activities for the non military minded (£5 all day access to the bouncy castle kept my daughter happy) and the overall relaxed atmopshere. My wife came sperate to me with my daughter, she won't travel (currently) in the lightweight and there is no way of securing a child seat, and she had a very long walk from the MOP car park, which was her only moan.

Good range of vehicles on display and managed to buy a few 'essential' items from the traders. Flypast by the BBMF was amazing, shame the usual mix of private planes were unable to attend.

My only regret was not taking a picture of my own vehicle at my first show! Does anyone have a pic of a lightweight landrover reg BOT510V (had the name Pearl on the bridge plate)? I was parked next to the two dodge weapons carriers and the series 2 landrover ambulance.

Scott - I am sure that is the USAAF aircraft maintenance Dodge that did the HCVS Brighton Run back in the 1980s and I haven't seen it since. If so, it is a very rare vehicle. Great snaps. Glad everyone had a good show. If I hadn't been working, I would have gone.

Cheers..

MB

Thanks Mark. Looks like we were pretty lucky to see the Dodge then if that is the one, I must admit that I did go into anorak mode and took pictures of all sides of it having not seen it before!

Scott

Cheers..

MB

Damyns2012063.jpg

Damyns2012048.jpg

Damyns2012060.jpg

Damyns2012057.jpg

What a good weekend we had at Damyns Hall show , I was contacted at the begining of the year and invited to bring the M10 along to boost the British armour at the show and thats what I did , it was my first time at the show and went with some good friends and a variety of there vehicles ,we all throughly enjoyed ourselves , the facilities were very good inc the loos and beer tent !! , the air display by the Lanc and Spit and Hurri was far better than the W & P offer this year, The weather just couldnt help its self and chucked it down for 20 mins Sunday mid morn but after that the sun kept showing its self and stayed dry, There was a good selection of WW2 Armour inc M18 Hellcat, 2 X Shermans , M10 TD ,M3 Stuart , M4 HST , Daimler armoured car(i think) , various Halftracks , Bren gun carrier ,M8 armoured car , Panzer 3 ( replica) .

It was about a 2 hour drive to Damyns from home inc going on the M25 Fri afternoon, but both my Ward and my mates Scammell Explorer behaved them selves both ways and we arrived back at home about 8-30pm yesterday eve after a very enjoyable chilled out weekend with friends , we are looking forward to going next year .

Adrian