Driving tracked vehicles on the road...

Jack

OK - laughing time folks :-D :-D

I just hit Fords employee training dept (EDAP) with the request to fund my "H" license @£245 - if it gets signed off at the committee meeting on the 19th either £100 or £200 worth of that will be paid by Ford :-) :-) Fingers crossed it's the £200!! :-)

Jack, you can get your "H" class for less than £ 75 just do what we did. We booked a tester to come to us to test 4 people, myself, Martin, Steve Whitehouse and Lars Henry, I think it was about £43-00 each payed up front. We booked the test for a Monday and then hired a mini digger for the weekend plus the Monday. We played all weekend on the digger and tested each other on the highway code, Monday we did the test and passed. The digger hire cost us £100 split four ways=£25 each, so there you are job done piece of cake.Stop flapping about just do it

Jim.

Jack, you can get your "H" class for less than £ 75 just do what we did. We booked a tester to come to us to test 4 people, myself, Martin, Steve Whitehouse and Lars Henry, I think it was about £43-00 each payed up front. We booked the test for a Monday and then hired a mini digger for the weekend plus the Monday. We played all weekend on the digger and tested each other on the highway code, Monday we did the test and passed. The digger hire cost us £100 split four ways=£25 each, so there you are job done piece of cake.Stop flapping about just do it

Jim.

Ok good advice Jim.

So being clever then it may be a good idea to organise a 'group' test so those of us who would like to take their H test can share the cost's and do it over a weekend and practise the Highway Code in a pub :whistle:

Does that sound like a plan?

Anyone interested?

I will be interested but with Richard also up this way I think you should travel up here Jack and do it :-D

We will talk about that later Mark :computerterror2:

But in the meantime I will start another thread in Other chatter and make it a sticky for a while to gauge interest.

Hi all,

I took my class H with a friend of mine in June last year.

It was quite straightforward. Contacted the DVLA though their phone system, which has no button to press for class H test, so I got though to the car testing department. Told the gent what I wanted to do and he sorted it all out there and then. You pay by credit card up front. They come to you, so you have to inform them where you would like to meet them. We met at a pub car park in Little Eaton. Anyway, a confirmation form came though the post a few days later with the date and time, which we’d, agreed upon.

The test is common since. It should be done from the side of the road, however, the examiner asked if he could check what the visibility was like in the commanders position ( sorry, I forgot to mention we took in my CVR(T) Striker ). He said he was happy to stand on the seat and conduct the test on the road. The root was around 3 miles, Turn left out of carpark onto road. Pull up by the side of road and set off again. Turn left onto another road, pull up by the side of the road, stop, set off again. Emergency stop. Reverse left turn into a 'T' junction. Driving took approx 20 minutes. Then 3 or 4 questions on high way code and two questions on the operation of the vehicle. I was expecting questions on track tension, manoeuvring and such, but he asked me where was the dipstick and to operate the left indicator and check they were working.

Dead easy.

Cost of test was £43.00 each.

Carl, however very nearly couldn't take his as his photo ID - passport went out of date the day before, he was VERY lucky the examiner was in a good mood.

Hi mate.

Is this the cost in total? For your test?

I got the price wrong, should have put £47.00. Thats each. Thats what we paid to DVLA for the test. To get your driver licence updated with a new catorgry is free.

As we both saw it, if you can drive a car and pass a test, you can pass the class H easly. Its all just common sence, take it slowly, over use your mirrors, idicate in plenty of time. I got two faults against me which was my possition when parking up and lack of observation on my reverse left manover.

• 3 weeks later...

yes its right so long, as insurance , rubber pads & H class but watch the kerb stones

sadly I have the H class but no machine my money don't go that far I would love one

I have a scimitar painted on my garage door....people stopped parking in front of it..

green with envy.....flav

• 3 months later...

When I took my H license in the military some years ago now, it was very similar to an HGV test which included cone work. Believe me I would always ere on the the side of caution and never take a tracked vehicle out alone. Not a good idea from a safety point of view. I always have someone with me when I take my Spartan out. If for no other reason that to guide traffic of my intentions. Other drivers are normally so overwhelmed with what they see they are likely to do something stupid.

As Chris says unless you have a good recovery backup (not the AA or RAC) don't go on motorways.

Other than that, enjoy and have fun.

Mick

• 1 month later...

He's a nice guy , known him since he was a small boy . But , it has to be said , as you & the article point out , he is a serving police officer . Call me and old cynic if you like but possibly the chances of him getting pulled by his colleagues are somewhat less than the likes of you and I , applicable regulations or no

jack

answers to you summery

1, yes you can drive a tracked vehicle on the road with your car licence with a class H licence holder supervising with you and "L" plates displayed, A full car licence is a provisional licence for this class just like it is for an LGV PSA etc classes.

2, Take the H class with the correct training is the way to go.

3, If you can allways have a commander with you, They can see more than you ! a must in tight areas depending on what you are driving MBT,Scorpion etc the vision from the driving positions is very different.

4, Rubber pads reduce the risk of damage to the road surface as john says in his post " steel tracks are VERY slippy on wet roads so you have to take it very slow to avoid losing all steering and braking." I have been with john on the road in his and it can be scary when you try to stop it just keeps sliding like in a car on sheet ice. One of the things you get when driving any armoured vehicle on the road is respect from most of the road users.

Al

A car licence is NOT a provisional licence for PSV or LGV vehicles. To start with before you even get a provisional for C or D you must undergo a medical. Pre 1990 licences do include track H as a provisional entitelment. Pre 90 licence allows D1, up to 16 seats including driver, and C1 which vehicle up to 7.5 tons GVW.

just read this months cmv feature on a road legal live firing T34 and it is owned and driven by a serving police officer who in the article quotes the relevent regulaions ,so there you have it from the horses mouth

It was an interesting article - if he's right (and as a serving police officer I have to believe he is) then if the calculations come out right for ground pressure on the OT-90 I could wind not having to pay the £8K to have the rubber pads fitted to the tracks...... At least not for a while anyway.......

An interesting thought........ :-)

• 11 months later...

Group H ticket or not, does does anyone know about speed limits for tracked vehicles on public roads?

A Samson will belt along at well over 50 mph if you let it.

The trouble is live track can fail and come apart and the consequences are truly brown -trouser stuff.

I never had a track off but a rear idler cracked all the webs on the outer rim once and had i not seen it as i hooked up a scimitar i would have carried on until it fell apart.

Anyone who drives a tank on the road will remember it forever but please remember it for the right reasons. Be careful!

Whilst getting my H cat thro the T.A, we used a 432. The only limit was to keep to 30 mph or below to be mechanically friendly to the old machinery. I think I managed to wring 33 out of it once?

The flashing light was always used but did not prevent a very hairy moment with a van on a duel carriageway. He was clearly going 60+ and only noticed us at about 30 feet! This resulted in a clouds of smoke from his tyres, a squeely evasion up the hard shoulder, followed closely by the Volvo Estate tailgating him. For the 2 of us in the back a great deal of hilarity, all missed by our commander/instructor and lady driver!

At Catterick in 1975, after Basic Training, our intake split five ways into RAC Soldiers and RAC Crewmen: the crewmen split into CVR(T) and Chieftain and also into drivers and gunners.

All the crewmen did a radio course, then D&M or gunnery. I did Scorpion Gunnery.

One of my erstwhile colleagues, having gone to the CVR(T) Driver course, told me in the NAAFI one evening about his brush that day with North Yorkshire's finest.

The policeman flagged down the Scorpion on the A1 and after instructing the learner driver to switch off the engine, he beckoned the commander to listen in to the bollicking.

"I have no intention of embarrassing myself by standing up in front of the magistrate and telling him, 'I was proceeding southbound along the A1 at 50mph when I found myself being passed by a tank.' Don't do it again."

Edited by AlienFTM
typo

Heard from Russian Military tonight - the other road-going OT (that DID get through registration at Sidcup!!) was driven home yesterday from March, Cambs to somewhere in Essex. Journey took 6 hours and 100 litres of diesel.

So it can be done - and I believe he used the M11 too although that was not confirmed......