Brand new ex-home office Austin Gipsys

RattlesnakeBob

Whilst mooching the web came across this interesting bit of info........apparantly the last massive clear out of Austin Gipsys only happened in 1997......

.....click this link and scroll about halfway down the page...there's a few good photos of the sale too...did anyone on here maybe acquire one of these trucks?....

http://www.austingipsy.net/exmod.htm

The Austin Gipsy was never my cup of tea but then again... the chance to get one 'brand new' out of storage would have been quite an opportunity I guess.....

...just goes to show how much kit was/still is(?) possibly lying about in MoD /Home Office warehouses..............

All or many of these were sold through Withams - lovely looking condition!!

What else do you reckon (or hope) theyve still got hidden away then? :cool2:

Withams only got six of the Home Office Gipsys. The sale in '97 was through British Car Auctions at Measham. I have one from the sale in my 'collection'

All or many of these were sold through Withams - lovely looking condition!!

What else do you reckon (or hope) theyve still got hidden away then? :cool2:

hahah I dunno!...

...mind you if someone had asked me did I think the Government would still have had any Austin Gipsys 'in stock' in 96 or 97 I'd have had to have answered "no way mate !" ....and I'd have been well wrong!

.I really don't know.... the mind boggles at the possibilities...

....maybe a coupe of hundred Series One Landrovers? or if you want to get really dreamy:) .....does anyone know when actually (officially!) did the UK Government dispose of its last Jeeps?..

After all..........there's some proper seriously deep ex-ammunition dumps/depots around the west country such as Corsham and Box and Monkton Farleigh ....now...think about it..:-|..

.we all know about those places ....but...

...it's not too imaginative is it, to think there could be some other massive underground storage depots that we don't know about ????.....yet???????????:D

The MOD purchased 20 DUKW carburettors a year till 1987.......................

I know because when I was in the vehicle trials team the contracts branch asked us whether we still needed that many.

Sadly I think that the really tasty MOD stuff has long since gone to the pawnbrokers. The home office is another matter though.

The MOD purchased 20 DUKW carburettors a year till 1987.......................

The army still have a couple of DUKWs in service. They appear every so often in the magazines and on line. Someone with a quicker memory will no doubt be along with the full details.

Regarding the Gypsy auction, I was there too with a group of friends. None of us especially wanted one but we assumed that as a widely derided vehicle we would get a few cheap ones and have some fun with them. We turned up and paid our refundable deposit and then the first vehicle went to bid and fetched some stupid amount of money like £4.5k. A lot of people in the 'audience' rapidly got very pee'd off because only then did we realise that a) they were not going to go for £500 a pop as they should have and b) we could only get our deposit back once the entire auction had run. There was some quite vocal annoyance registered!

I think a lot of the vehicles were bought speculatively and even now they appear for sale quite frequently - some still being sold as 'never registered', 'low mileage' etc. etc. They were in good condition but with effectively zero interesting history they were only worth what a good-condition Gypsy should be worth, which was about half what people were paying.

- MG

a) .......... they were only worth what a good-condition Gypsy should be worth, which was about half what people were paying.

- MG

hahaha I'm gonna upset the Gipsy fans on here now cos half of whatever people were paying, would have been way too much to pay for a Gipsy! ...hahahah..:D

I'm only having a laugh but I do have to say.........

I came across a few Gipsys now and then in my days back in the 80s and 90s messing about with the AWDC and also in normal road use and I gotta say I thought they were awful vehicles...heavy , slow , not particularly good looking.....pretty rubbish off road.....and ....they rotted for fun....

...in fact....

....about the same as an Austin Champ! (ooooer! christ! thats gone and done it now! :-X)

mind you..........I am a an absolute died in the wool Jeep and Series One Landrover fanatic so I'm honour bound to fuel the old Landrover v Jeep v Gipsy v Champ debate :) ....

and..having said all of that....

..... we can't all like the same things and life would be pretty dull if we did so its nice to see them surviving :D

so .....where d'you all reckon they've got the brand new Jeeps stashed then ?? :Dhahah!

I bought one with 1300 miles on it at the auction. It cost me more than I had intended spending but the opertunity to get one in that condition was not going to be repeated. I have since done about 25000 miles with it, on and off road. LameRovers never managed to match the ride quality or performance of a Gipsy without extensive modifications. The only real problem is that Gipsy bodywork rusts almost as fast as a LameRover chassis.

It is a great shame that when BMC bought Rover they didn't use the best features of the Gipsy and Series 2 LR to produce a replacement, rather than the piece of $#!* that was the Series 3. As it was, the Series 3 was a British Leyland cost cutting special and the Gipsy was replaced with the RangeRover.

Not much can do better off road than the original Jeep, thats what LameRover started with and spent the years since spoiling it.

I bought one with 1300 miles on it at the auction. It cost me more than I had intended spending but the opertunity to get one in that condition was not going to be repeated. I have since done about 25000 miles with it, on and off road. LameRovers never managed to match the ride quality or performance of a Gipsy without extensive modifications. The only real problem is that Gipsy bodywork rusts almost as fast as a LameRover chassis.

It is a great shame that when BMC bought Rover they didn't use the best features of the Gipsy and Series 2 LR to produce a replacement, rather than the piece of $#!* that was the Series 3. As it was, the Series 3 was a British Leyland cost cutting special and the Gipsy was replaced with the RangeRover.

Not much can do better off road than the original Jeep, thats what LameRover started with and spent the years since spoiling it.

...agree with your appraisal of the original Jeep but I also gotta say that a series one LR with the standard 2 litre petrol in...on good tyres and with the right person behind the wheel will keep up with a Jeep in 99% of territory.....

..only thing lets a LR down is its lack of full axle articulation and that can be cured by a good set of springs ( I had what was known as Brambers on mine...single leaf jobbers that were very flexable) and then all you need do is put rear shockers on the front as well as the back so that the front springs can move as much as they need to and I'd say from experience that a Series One LR is equally as good as a Jeep ..........IMHO :-)

We all know about the Green Goddesses RL Bedfords Commer Q4and Austin Gipsys that the Home Office Had, but what happened to the BSA B40s that they had? I have heard stories about hangars full of crated B40s, but they never came on to the open market. I know that the army disposed of their B40s around 1975/6 but where are the home office ones.

I went to that sale of Austin Gipsys - did a story for OR&4WD magazine. Many of the Brockhouse trailers lso sold that day were in demand by members of the Land Rover Series one Club. I like the Gipsy - apart from the rust problem - they seem to have been well regarded and, it is said, were only discontinued because of the mergers within the car industry that led to Austin and Rover being part of the same conglomerate.

A couple of asides; an MP (David Steel?) used one of the Home Office Gipsys for one of those competitive historic rallies soon after its release.

Author Anthony Smith used a Gipsy during a ballooning exped to Africa which was the subject of a book entitled Throw Out Two Hands. Smith had also written Blind White Fist in Persia which may be more familiar to those on here as it used an ex-mil Bedford truck.

Finally, years and years ago Classic Bike featured an AFS-liveried bike (I want to say Matchless but can't be sure...)

Cheers,

JC

• 1 month later...
Damn, there I was thinking it might be rare and worth something in the future :-D

Scott

I thibk my dad still has the catalogue as well, will have to ask him, he started writing down the prices in it!

Mark

That will be good if you could find that out Mark.

Scott, we printed the sale prices in the June '97 club newsletter (#38)

When you look back at the actual sales prices they are not as high as folklore remembers, the LWB were around £2000 and the SWB around £3000 the most expensive was a leaf sprung SWB at £4000. (buyers premium and VAT were added though)