Pidgeon carrier

Willyslancs

Here's a thought: How do the pigeons find the loft after it has been moved?!

I assume that the mobile loft is used to take the pigeons to the front from their home loft. Do you know how they were used and how many there were?

Steve

It's a bit sketchy but the first mobile lofts were converted from GS bodied lorries and it appears that 6 buses were converted in 1916 and a further 6 in 1917. They were painted black and white instead of green so that the pigeons could identify them.

It's a bit sketchy but the first mobile lofts were converted from GS bodied lorries and it appears that 6 buses were converted in 1916 and a further 6 in 1917. They were painted black and white instead of green so that the pigeons could identify them.

Does this prove that PIGEONS - not Pidgeons - are not colour blind?

Tony

That looks like the one that was at the Berliet collection. There is a fascinating froup of vehicles in the photographs below. There appears to be an FWD Model B in the background there as well. it looks like it has a US B Type body but the British fuel tank. Looks like a very interesting event. Thank you for posting the link.

Tim

Edited by Great War truck
because my post sounded rather pompous and annoying. Sorry.

A delightful photo with so much detail within it. The detail of the GS wagon , the pigeon loft and the tent scene all contribute to life back behind the lines in the support areas.

The bicycle is a means of transport that does not have its own thread on the pre ww11 page.

Who collects them and can post some images?

Doug:undecided:

Does this prove that PIGEONS - not Pidgeons - are not colour blind?

Tony

Quite possibly Tony, but I wonder how many were lost to shelling? I'm sure black and white painted pigeon lofts made a superb target for the enemy! :nut:

Looking again at the photo I wonder where it was taken. The background has rows of trees. If it was near to the front I would have thought the trees would have been felled for use in the trenches etc. Could this be a breeding colony of pigeons but if so I would have expected rows of lofts.

A photo brings up so many questions.

Doug